Egnew update: Philbin seeing "progress"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinatic1399, Oct 11, 2012.

1. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

"He’s making progress. As you guys know, the system in Missouri was a little bit different. Obviously, he was a very productive college player and we’re hopeful that he can make the transition to the Miami Dolphin offense sooner as opposed to later. But we’re seeing development. He’s got to be able to play a little more inline. He didn’t do a whole lot of that at Missouri and he’s starting to get used to having his hand down in a three-point stance, being involved in pass protection and more involved in the run blocking than he’s ever been as well as the route running aspects of it. We’re seeing progress.”

I really hope Egnew can develop into a solid seem threat TE.

2. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

This coaching staff have worked wonders in the very short time they have been here, but I am not sure how much they have to work with in Egnew. I still am holding out hope, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are working with a lost cause with this guy.

3. SCOTTY

SCOTTY Well-Known Member

LOL at all the posters who say to cut him. It's called developing players people. And for the first time in years we have a coach who can do it. I am excited to see what a year under Philbin does for this guy.

4. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

I guess learning how to buckle up his chin-strap can be considered "progress" for Egnew

5. DphinBillkiller

DphinBillkiller Touchdown

Hopefully he develops quickly and is able to contibute or the Dolphins may have to free up his roster spot.

6. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

maybe they should let him do some of the things he did in college. After all, they drafted him based on that. I've seen video of him where he did real good in the red zone.

Ozzy rules!!

7. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

Just don't like tight ends who are "body catchers" rather than hands catchers.

That to go along with Egnew's many flaws both mentally and physically. That's not to say he can't make it in time and make a complete 180 by working hard (like Bess and Bush do) and busting his arse lifting weights. but I'm not holding out hope for him. I just think it would take a major miracle to see Egnew perform for us next year as Charles Clay performed last year with that kind of ability

And Clay is not showing much this year after those very nice flashes last season. The NFL is a very tough game to master. You can't have your guard down and rest on your laurels (as we witnessed last year when the Dolphins went 0-7 to start the season coming in out of shape)

8. CRAZYDOLFAN305

CRAZYDOLFAN305 We Are Still Going To The SB

He's a bust because you know he is the only third rounder in the history that took time to developed.

9. enigmatics

enigmatics Go get me a juice box!

Seeing progress in what? Tying his shoe laces?

10. moonman

moonman >tfw dolphins fan

lol

Most people around here expect every draft pick to start right away or they're considered a bust.

Hell, for all we know this guy will never see the field. But FFS he's a third round draft pick. They don't always light the world on fire. Perspective, please.

11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I will never be able to think of Michael Egnew without hearing Dan Campbell's voice in my head saying "Freakin Egnew".

12. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

I see no reason to be worried. He never blocked at Mizzou. He's probably just bulking up.

13. UCF Nation

UCF Nation Well-Known Member

Heaven forbid players need to be developed.

14. ticophin

ticophin Starter Donator

Not a lot, it´s about the only positive thing we´ve heard about this guy all year...I don´t expect much!!

15. MikeO

MikeO Premium Member Donator

don't expect anything this year from him. But next year it could be like having an extra draft pick if he is ready by then

16. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Campbell was the man on hard Knocks. Right now I'd rate him our 2nd TE. :)

player/coach ?

17. moparman

moparman Active Member

patience people patience.

18. TGall13

TGall13 Tagalager

HBO's Hard Knocks didn't do this guy any favors. He really looked lost and it was for all to see.

19. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

I think most of us thought he would have been a good pickup in the 5th. In my opinion, he is a 5th round talent that will need all of this year to learn his new position. We can't give up on him because the kid can catch. With our coaching staff he has a better chance to be productive.

20. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...-Offense/2ddf5a92-f279-4e2f-a07a-b033e9e4ac7e

That's what I was saying. Haters always quick to assume "Oh, we are going to be drafting a TE high". After WR I think we're going FS as top two needs this offseason. I think we have a nice balance of TE's in Mastrud, Egnew, and Clay developing for 2013.... when we make that push. :)

21. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

Yeah at this point I expected Egnew to have around 30 catches for 400 yards and 4 TD's. Isn't that what most 3rd round TE's have?

22. Quadfather

Quadfather FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

My guess is, he could play right away and be a threat in the passing game, but he just cant block worth ****! And even in our pass happy NFL that we have to day, a TE in this league HAS to be able to block at least a little to play in this game. Because if he lines up in the normal 12 or 21 personal, (one TE, 2 RB or 2 TE, 1 RB), when he is in the game, and cant block, we will either get crushed running the ball, or tip our hand in the pass game. Same reason a RB, and why Lamar Miller, is getting limited snaps. And I say he is having trouble blocking, but I do mean he is having more success in the pass game, but probally not perfect. He probally wont be much of a factor this year, but that doesnt mean he's a bust. He puts on some more weight in the offseason and gets a whole offseason to learn the offense and technique, he could break out next year.

23. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

I'm with ya on that. except I'd like us taking the Honey Badger at FS and then a WR… that's if Mathieu comes out, which looks probable

24. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

I actually agree with that. In fact, I even think based on the fact that I don't think there is a projected top 10 type of "must pick" WR in this year's draft, we may be looking to add that #1 WR "prior" to the draft with one of the FA WRs ie Wallace or Jennings? I see FS as our first round pick.

25. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

And they knew prior to drafting Egnew that blocking was not his forte. That he was really drafted to be a redzone/stretch the middle of the field type of TE. Which is why I believe that Mastrud, Egnew, and Clay will for a nice TE trio for us...

26. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

I remember when Paul Soliai was a bust. While it sucks that Egnew isn't ready to contribute at this point his story isn't really written yet. If all teams camps went through Hard Knocks type exposure there would be tons of players who looked lost in their first camps that ended up being very good players. You can write him off now based off one camp, and the fact he isn't playing yet, and you might very well end up right, but you're just as likely to be wrong. Wise people wait things like that out. They still saw enough in him to keep him. And he DIDN'T block at Mizzou, so he was going to have a significant adjustment to playing in the NFL no matter how talented he is or isn't. He absolutely has done nothing to say he was a good pick, but it's also way too early to say he's a failure as well.

27. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

Exactly ala 7-11 was supposed to be some great WR that we could not afford to put on the PS? haha And how in the hell is Matthews still inactive? smh

28. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

Every time I see him on the sideline he has a dopey derp face. He doesn't look like he has a shred of confidence.

29. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Some people on here just enjoy kicking the guy. He will be fine.

30. Dolfan4life

Dolfan4life Starter Donator

I remember thinking soliai was a lost cause and now he's a force to be reckoned with

I'm willing to let him develop this year but we need to see improvement next year for sure

31. footsteps_falco

footsteps_falco Damn SugarBowl Finheaven VIP Donator

i dont hate egnew but there other players id have liked to draft in that round. seemed like a reach/need pick but i'm sure hell be fine. hardknocks really screwed the perception on him

32. yolli71

yolli71 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I guess I didn't notice that he was a "body catcher". Is that really the case? If so, I'm disappointed. One thing I really like about Lane is that he is a very natural "hands" catcher...extremely soft hands. Body catcher and below-average blocker? Definitely not a good combo.

33. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

He's only been out of the league for a few years. Could happen.

34. steviey013

steviey013 A True Fan

Look, if Philbin says he making progress, thats good enough for me. The mans word is gospel right now.

35. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Wish we had drafted someone else, who knows he may devlop but he is horrible right now

36. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I am hopeful as well, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Miami turned around and drafted a tight end pretty high in 2013. That was such a big part of the offense in GB and you have to figure Philibin wants a major upgrade to really make this offense go.

37. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

Common sense will take you nowhere fast

38. JT-forpresident

JT-forpresident Believe In Miami

I don't understand why they're trying to fit a round peg in a square hole: egnew' strenghts just don't show up when you libe hin up at the LOS !

I'd start making up a package or two with egnew lining up more like a slot receiver and work the seams with him... Get him involved, build up his confidence, and then start develloping his weaknesses ...

Mmy 2 cents... !