Elvis Dumervil on joining Nolan in Miami "its a possibility"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Nawledge, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

Cutler didn't want to play for him, nolan didn't want to coach for him, other coaches left for other jobs, and now elvis seems to not want to play with mcdaniels either.

Denver Broncos outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil wasn't thrilled to see defensive coordinator Mike Nolan leave for the Miami Dolphins.

Dolfans would love for them to reunite in South Florida.

"It's a possibility," Dumervil said, "but we'll see what happens in Denver."

Dumervil would be an unrestricted free agent if the owners and players hammer out a new collective bargaining agreement by March 5. But an uncapped season seems inevitable, and in that case, Dumervil would be a restricted free agent because he wouldn’t have the required number of accrued seasons.

Dumervil led the NFL with 17 sacks in his lone season under Nolan.

"It was great playing with him," Dumervil said. "I only got to play with him one year, but I had fun, I probably had one of my best years. I felt I was productive throughout my career before Nolan, but being able to move to linebacker enhanced my durability and allowed me to be more effective down the stretch."

I asked if other Pro Bowlers have been in his ear, lobbying to get him interested in joining their teams.

"That would be tampering," Dumervil said. "I can't snitch on nobody."

2. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

Will the Broncos match any offer for Elvis Dumervil, or might he end up in Miami with Mike Nolan?
    -- Everett, Phoenix
    Everett - If it gets that far, I'm certain the Broncos will match any offer. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if a deal is worked out before the tender date of March 5.

Besides the fact Dumervil is the league's best pass rusher, McDaniels needs him for his locker room. Publicly and privately, Dumervil is complimentary of McDaniels, just as he was with Shanahan. Dumervil is the type of guy who respects authority. He's McDaniels' kind of guy.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14314460?source=rss

3. Astrosback

Astrosback Well-Known Member

This is something I've been curious about. I could see it more likely that we trade for this guy than others like Boldin, or the likely-franchised NTs like Wilfork, Hampton or Franklin.

If DEN uses the franchise tag on Brandon Marshall to get a 1st and 3rd for him (which I think they would), then the most they could tender for Elvis would be the 2nd round tender, right?

If that's the case, we could try to sign him away at the cost of the 2nd but they might match.

I wouldn't be shocked to see us offer them a better package like maybe...

Our 2nd, Ginn (they'll need WR "help" :chuckle:) and maybe Porter (to replace the edge rushing loss) for Elvis.

If we could get that deal done, it would be interesting b/c we probably draft a OLB/pass rusher with that 2nd rounder anyway and getting Elvis instead would eliminate the chance of the unknown in a rookie.

4. Astrosback

Something like....

Our 2nd, Ginn and Porter to DEN for: OLB Elvis Dumervil

Pick 1.12 used to draft: NT Dan Williams

A conditional 2011 3rd/2nd for: WR Anquan Boldin

Our 2010 3rd round pick for: FS Nate Allen

Our 2010 4th round pick for: ILB Sean Lee

Our big FA $ for: ILB Karlos Dansby and TE Ben Watson

Now that mock offseason would be pretty sweet!:woot:

5. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

No way in hell the Phins trade 3 picks this year for 3 different people

6. Astrosback

Where did you get that idea?

I had us trading our 2010 2nd rounder (plus Ginn and Porter) for Dumervil.

And then trading a 2011 conditional 3rd (which could become a 2nd based on conditions let's say like reaching 1,000 yards receiving) for Anquan Boldin.

Please read that post again.

That's only 1 2010 pick and 1 2011 pick for Dumervil and Boldin.

That would be a STEAL!

7. phinfan33

phinfan33 A True Fan

Dumervil might be from Miami,but i don't know if our FO would bring him in due to his size...5'11''..248 lb OLB might be a bit too small for them...

8. Astrosback

But Dumervil is the exception when it comes to size. Remember, he played last year at his size in Nolan's 3-4 defense as an OLB and he racked up ridiculous sack numbers.

Dumervil plays a lot bigger than he measures.

Tuna would probably love getting a pass rushing demon like Dumervil.

9. Astrosback

It's funny - I still remember when that piece of garbage Marcus Vick (nice family those Vicks are, right?) stomped on Dumervil's head in a bowl game. I'm glad to see that bum Marcus is out of the league while Dumervil is making millions. Too bad the league let that piece of trash Mike Vick back in.

Anyway, I'll be keeping a close eye on the Dumervil situation.

10. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

Dumerville was HORRENDOUS against the run, dont need JOEY 2.0 if not worse.

Put wake there and JT, draft a SOLB.

11. Astrosback

Like Brandon Graham at 1.12? Yeah, that might be easier/cheaper and more effective.

12. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

I am 100% for Graham.

Right now:

Graham
    Thomas
    McClain
    Bryant
    Spiller
    Williams should be considered for 1.12

13. Astrosback

I like all those guys too. I expect that McClain and Dez will be gone.

Spiller will be considered a luxury b/c I'm afraid they won't trade Ronnie (although I think they should).

Dan Williams could be the pick b/c I doubt we land one of the premier NTs - (Wilfork, Hampton, Franklin) b/c they'll all be franchised or signed long term - but in the end, I think Tuna goes back to his bread-and-butter and drafts his next great LB in Brandon Graham.

14. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

I say dan but dont see it bc they don't go NT orund 1, they go NT late round bc a NT in the late round can do what a NT in the ealry RD can, bust for less money, succeed for lses money and what it takes to succeed is to hold double teams consistently.

15. Astrosback

I could see something like...

Draft

1.) Brandon Graham OLB
    2.) Demaryius Thomas WR
    3.) Cam Thomas NT
    4.) EJ Edds ILB

FA

Karlos Dansby ILB (I think we finally get a prized FA this year)
    Ben Watson TE

Phins Re-Signed

Jason Ferguson NT
    Jason Taylor OLB
    Davone Bess WR
    Anthony Fasano TE

Phins Cut/Traded

Joey Porter (6th rounder)
    Ted Ginn, Jr. (2011 undisclosed)
    Gibril Wilson (cut)

Having Ben Watson and Anthony Fasano would give us a buffer if our young WRs (Demaryius, Hartline, Bess) struggled. Basically, Ben Watson could be a "weapon1" if Demaryius doesn't deliver as a WR1.

16. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

Sheffler over Watson.
    We wont go into the next season without a veteran WR and a veteran FS. MARK MY WORDS.

17. phinfan33

phinfan33 A True Fan

i like your draft and offseason moves...only thing i'd add is to try and get Brandon Spikes in there somehow...oh yeah,and get a stud FS also...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2010
  18. phinfan33

phinfan33 A True Fan

if i remember correctly..that Wake&JT rotation in the first game against Buffalo was doing wonders for our pass rush...why they didn't stay with that i do not know...

19. jimi64

jimi64 Starter

Ben Watson???????? New England is getting rid of him due to his diminishing abilities? I'd stay with what we have at TE or a late draft pick.

20. phinfan33

phinfan33 A True Fan

he probably would,but he also loves his 'backers to have some size on them,and 5'11''..248 is a bit too small...but who knows,maybe Tuna decides to relax on that some and finds a way to bring Dumervil home so he can play for Nolan again,though i doubt it...

21. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

Why spend a 1st or a 2nd on him when you can use that 2nd to get a guy like Marshall a bigger need since wake is there for the WOLB spot already or use that 1st on someone better fitted for this team and isn't a 1 year wonder that is horrible against the run.

thanks but trust me, Dumer is NOT coming here.

22. phinfan33

phinfan33 A True Fan

i have to agree with you on that...

23. mmikel30

mmikel30 Starter

I like this scenario

24. rushfinfan85

rushfinfan85 Active Member

I just don't see the point to this we have a young kid that can rush the passer very well as he has shown. this just wouldn't make sense to me. I really feel that wake will be better than dumerville was in nolan system!!

25. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

In my opinion I see Dumervil staying in Denver. I think theyre gonna lose Brandon Marshall and theyre gonna draft Dez Bryant. I think theyll try and keep their sack leader LB too.

I think were gonna go after ILBs and maybe resign JT to another short contract and have him on one side and maybe Wake on the other? Then again this is just me saying what "i think" will happen. I havent watched much of Dumervil other than a few times here and there throughout the season. Ive read people say hes not really that great against the run either. I mean if thats the case Wake is bigger i believe and is a good pass rusher as well. Hopefully now with a full year of being in the nfl he breaks out. Hopefully Nolan can really bring Wakes game to the next level and make him a real LB. Im just hoping.

26. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

They only trade I see Miami making this offseason is for Boldin. Dumervil stays in Denver.

27. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

yea i think the Boldin trade could happen. With Parcells you never know tho. He loves draft picks more than Joey Porter loves himself.

28. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

We all love draft picks, I'm all for hoarding in as many as possible. However, the price on Boldin is as low as it's ever been. It makes more sense now to trade for him than it did when everybody was clamoring for him for the past two years. When the price is right, that's when you make trades. Miami has been ripped off too many times in the past, and lately we've been seeing the better end of deals. I would like for that to continue.

29. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

dont get me wrong, i love the draft myself...i was just saying i doubt Parcells will give away the 3rd round pick for Boldin.

30. ryanENGLISH0

ryanENGLISH0 Well-Known Member

And why do you think Parcells wont do it? I will take Boldin at age 30 over everything thats out there in the 3rd round, just take a look at what we got with our 3rd round pick last year (Patrick Turner). Parcells and Co. need to make some drastic moves in order to KEEP THEIR OWN JOBS!

31. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

We still dont know what we have with Turner yet. Im not saying hes gonna be great and i know he couldnt make it onto the field this year but everyone(most people) gave Ginn 3 years. Im all for bringing in Boldin but it HAS TO BE at the right price. The way you said that you act like you cant find good players in the 3rd round. Bess went undrafted and im pretty sure you think hes a pretty good receiver(not comparing him to Boldin, just sayin). Sometimes you dont know what your gonna get when you draft somebody. Look where Tom Brady was picked. Kurt Warners story. Just because your picked in the first round doesnt automatically mean your gonna be good. Ted Ginn is a perfect example. So is Ryan Leaf. We could draft a WR in the 2nd round (where Boldin was picked) and he could wind up being an elite receiver in the league. You dont know what your gonna get alot of the time. Sometimes the picks work out sometimes they dont.

I wouldnt mind giving them Porter & a 4th round pick but thats just a trade we made up on here. We have no idea what the FO is willing to give up for Boldin. We dont even know how serious they are about acquiring him. Im just going by what I know of Parcells and thats that he doesnt like to give up high round picks. Boldin without a doubt would make this offense better tho.

32. Astrosback

I would do it for a 3rd too but there's no way Boldin will be dealt that cheaply. ARI will get at least a 2nd for Boldin or maybe more likely a conditional 1st in 2011.

Don't be surprised to see Belichick give a conditional 1st in 2011 b/c they have an extra one from the Seymore-OAK trade and will probably be looking for WR help for Brady since Wes Welker won't be 100% and Moss is getting old.

Even if they would take a 3rd (which they won't), teams like TB could offer their earlier 3rd for Boldin - or any other team ahead of us looking for a stud WR.

So if the Trio really value draft picks, they won't land Boldin. If anything, they'd trade Ronnie for an extra 2nd rounder and go to town in this draft.

33. sharp

sharp Scout Team

How can people say we aren't going to get a new CBA. People werent even saying it this much when we were 2 weeks past the deadline when Tag was commish. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, WE WILL HAMMER IT OUT WTF.

34. NRA

NRA Roll Gypsy Roll

ANYTHING with BRANDON GRAHAM in it is just fine by me.

he IS going tot be the next big thing at olb if he lands in a
    3-4 team. he would be a pro bowl player at 4-3 end also
    so his services will be in HIGH demand.

the finz have to jump on him if they are going defense with #12.

by the time the combine is over and the gm's have the chance to
    digest his senior bowl game, his body of work at michigan and
    his more than likely fantastic combine workout, #12 and beyond
    will be the hotspot for his services.

i FIRMLY BELIEVE, that if we try and trade down, even a few spots
    hoping to land him, he will be GONE! someone will jump up and grab
    him before miami pics again.

if they want one of the BEST ALL AROUND DE/LB prospects in years
    on the team, they have to JUMP ON IT at #12.