Eric Ebron Declares for the Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Hayden Fox, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...rth-carolina-te-eric-ebron-to-enter-nfl-draft

I think the obvious spot the Dolphins must solve is the offensive line. With only the Center position being locked in, the team could use help at all other positions. Jon Martin is done...and I do not want him back. Richie Incognito has no chance of returning. John Jerry is not very good. Bryant McKinnie has done well, but is long in the tooth. Dallas Thomas was a lousy pick. Nate Garner is solid, but would help the team best as a back up/fill in.

Re-making the line is the offseason objective. It might be very possible to find a LT or RT in the 1st round and a good one at that. However, Eric Ebron is a stud and a difference maker. He is athletic. He has large catch radius and his skill set would match the balls Ryan Tannehill throws best. He will be a nightmare matchup in the Red Zone. He is even a little "bubble butted" and would be fine with his blocking.

Charles Clay has had an excellent year. However, he is not a true TE. I like Dion Sims and hope he can develop, but Eric Ebron is going to be a stud weapon in the NFL.

2. ProStyle

ProStyle Well-Known Member

I'm thinking La'el Collins LT/G in the first round. We need a player like that on the Oline.
    I don't think any of the tight ends are worth the pick. Hopefully Keller gets back.

3. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

Ebron,Amaro,Sefarin-Jenkins, or a straightened out Lyerla would be awesome for the team.

4. FSU Truth

FSU Truth inside my DNA Finheaven VIP

Ebron is a rare talent...it sucks having spend so much this off-season on the o-line...I would love to see Ebron in a Phins uni....

5. finsfanjay13

finsfanjay13 Rookie Donator

Big fan of Ebron. Have watched him a lot here in Chapel Hill and I'm definitely sold on him.

6. Hayden Fox

Are you willing to sign a RT in FA and go with McKinnie at LT next year to draft a kid like Ebron? Not sure on my end, but it is a thought.

7. FSU Truth

FSU Truth inside my DNA Finheaven VIP

I'm more then willing to address the o-line via Free agency and look to pick up Martin or Yankey in the second for one of the guards and pick up Ebron in the first...the kid has Jimmy Graham/Gronk type ability...

8. Hayden Fox

He is an impact guy. Plus, with Clay they could run more 2 TE sets. That helps the pass pro and run game IMO. The formation variation and window dressing that you can do with 2 TE sets is off the charts.

9. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

I'd take two UNC players in this draft...Ebron in the 1st and James Hurst the LT in the 2nd.

10. 2413fanphins

2413fanphins A True Fan

beat me to it truth. this is an ideal scenario.

11. hoops

hoops exited stage left

We got much bigger needs than tight end...

12. PhinSoldia

PhinSoldia Miami Dolphin Columnist in the Making

Seantreal Henderson in the second round or possibly James Hurst

13. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Meh...we've been chasing needs since Ireland stepped into the GM role. It's time to load up on talent when it's there. Really the two tackles spots are all we need to draft, it's been proven by most teams that run a ZBS that guards and even centers can be had via free agency. Look at how well Brenner is playing. Houston's interior is made up of Wade Smith (a failed OT project we drafted in the Wannstedt years moved to LG), Chris Myers an undrafted player from Miami and Brandon Brooks a 3rd round pick from Milwaukee Riverside University. Washington's interior is made up of LG Kory Lichtensteiger a 4th round pick (Denver), C Will Montgomery a 7th round pick (Panthers) and RG Chris Chester who was a 2nd round pick (Ravens). So basically we have two of the best run blocking lines in football who have one drafted player among them. Of course all of this depends on who the new GM is and how they want to approach the draft but I'm saying load up on playmakers and guys you can use to give you an advantage in some way shape or form. Ebron is one of those guys.

14. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Ebrons a nice player but he's not a physical monster...he looks like a wr running routes with how smooth he is...I would be interested in adding a tight end but not with our top pick unless the board dictates it...you got Keller you can bring back cheap clay who you can easily keep as a rfa sims and egnew...

Ideal scenario sure you get a real win option tight end but I would look to plug other holes first...

15. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Ebron is a great player and a definite first rounder, but I think our #1 priority has to be an o-lineman or two, and then probably a DT, before we look at TE's. I really like Iowa Tight End C.J. Fiedorowicz, who I think could be the next Gronk. Check out his YouTube highlights if you haven't seen him play. I think we could take a LT like Kouandijo of Alabama or Lewan of Michigan with our first pick. Ideally, I would love to trade back for a later first rounder and early second rounder, but my confidence in Ireland doing smart things on draft day is fading.

16. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

You have Ireland being fired after this season?? I think it's probably 50/50 at best. If things go really bad with the J. Martin/Incognito outcome, then I think Ireland may get the axe, but I don't really see us getting penalized or losing draft picks over this, unless there is some proof that Ireland and Philbin knew about the "hostile locker room environment," or someone encouraged Incognito to make life miserable for Martin....which I doubt they did. I want Ireland gone, but owners often keep incompetant GM's around....it's why my Phillies have kept GM Ruben Amaro around while the Phillies have fallen off.

17. finsfanjay13

I have seen this guy bounce off, and break enough tackles to question this.

Regardless, Ebron for me is where the Dolphins are drafting. I'm a big, big fan of Ebron. But I'm not a fan of Ebron if Miami is drafting in the teens. I am a fan if they are drafting in the twenties, though.

18. ProStyle

ProStyle Well-Known Member

Why does that matter? IF he is a beast, a must have player, it really does not matter where the Dolphins pick if he is available. I think it's more foolish to pass on a player just because he is slotted by some scouts several numbers lower.

I agree with hoops, Ebron does not strike me as a physically dominant player. But he is a nice option because he can run like a receiver and like a TE, and blocks well. I am just not convinced we must have a TTE like that over some other player.

19. bcsupratt

bcsupratt Well-Known Member

I like the kid and his ability to make plays. He's a 1st round talent but I don't think we should burn a 1st for him......no matter what.
    I mean look at what Eifert has done this year...not much considering the type of offense they run in Cincy. I know he's apart of 2 TE sets but for a 1st rounder that may or may not have immediate impact on this team with GLARING holes.....I'm not sure if I'm ready to make that move. Keep in mind I was pro Eifert all the way last year.

Let's face it.. Next draft isn't going to be "flashly." We can't afford for it to be. Draft at the bare minimum two OL. We will need to draft a DT as well. Those are the top 3 picks right there. Maybe a FS as well following those to develop if we don't commit to Clemons long term.

20. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Ideal scenario would be trading down and still getting Ebron while picking up an extra 2nd and 5th rounder. We got a lot of holes to fill all along the line, at linebacker, probably a running back, wouldn't mind another speedy receiver with some size, DT and probably safety too.

Even before bully-gate there were a lot of rumors of Ireland being on the outs. I don't think he's coming back next year and if he does then I would expect another year of mediocrity.

21. finsfanjay13

Where did I mention scouts and numbers? Also, where did I say he's a must have player? Are you sure you're quoting the correct person here?

22. finsfanjay13

If they want him, they'll have to get him before the Patriots are on the board. Makes too much sense for the Patriots to grab either Ebron or one of the wide receivers that fall.

23. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Ot lb dt would be my priority then s and rb...I can't watch another year of this wolb play or the terrible depth at the position...

We likely are gonna lose a dt we better supplement it...

24. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Patriots better worry about getting a replacement for Wilfork. Their run d has been awful since him and Mayo went down and Wilfork is getting up there in age.

25. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Yet they still win...with two white guy dts no one has ever heard of...I hate that team

26. finsfanjay13

Patriots have holes just like every other team. And as hoops said, they still win. All I'm saying is that if Miami wants Ebron, they better not take any chances in betting that he'll pass by the Patriots.

27. hoops

hoops exited stage left

They gonna have some solid wr choices also if they so choose...wr class depth wise in the top 2 rounds looks nice...much more dependable pro future guys there than the OT class I know that much

28. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

They do still win cause despite them being 31st against the run they come up with turnovers...lots of turnovers. They've got 23 takeaways this year and are a +8 in turnover differential. That and Brady runs that hurry up resulting in the second most offensive snaps in the league behind Denver with 784 snaps so far this year. We're 28th with 683...Pats have run 101 more plays that we have so far this season.

29. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Why I say we should be running no huddle right now...the qbs ready for it

30. finsfanjay13

Yup. Mentioned the WR as another possibility earlier on. They'll have options, that's for sure.

31. Hayden Fox

If Ebron is the best on the board by a long shot, you take him. However, there will be a few LT's in this draft that could start right away and that is a must.

32. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Jace Amaro is looking better IMO. bigger at 6-5 260-70. TExas Tech. Welker school. Im buyin.

33. finfan54

Just tonight I have a long list of Tackles/Guards. Tackle seems deep. Some good ones will be in 2nd and 3rd round. I will have one Tackle early and one late for my picks for sure.

BTW, anyone care for Seantrel Henderson at 6-8 345? BEast but hear he has some offield probs? Tends to play more finesse with his big body? little help?

he actually is reminding me of McKinney. same school. same size. same issues but good player and huge.

34. finsfanjay13

Agreed. Which is basically what I was saying when I said that I wouldn't draft Ebron in the teens, but I would in the twenties. That has everything to do with players I like before Ebron that I think would be able available in the teens that may not be able in the twenties.

35. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I agree 4/5 of the offensive line needs to be replaced. Maybe Dallas Thomas still emerges, I liked him quite a bit at Tennessee. That said, I'm not holding my breath based on what I saw in pre-season. Ebron would be nice and I think it's possible if the Dolphins bring in someone like Brandon Albert in free agency. More likely the top 3 picks will be spent on the offensive line.

36. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 A True Fan

Dont forget LB. Id be looking for a legitimate Mike or WOLB in the first few rounds...hell maybe the 1st round. Take a Mike in round 1 and move Ellerbe to WOLB. Use Wheeler as depth/3rd down blitzer until we can get out of that contract

Ideally we could shore up at least 2 spots on the line in FA.

Definitely would be tempted to go with Amaro or Ebron if they are on the board though.

37. SF Dolphin Fan

If CJ Mosley is there when Miami picks that would be my choice. I haven't been thrilled at all with the play of the linebackers and Mosley would be a great addition. The Dolphins will likely keep either Starks or Solai, sign a legitimate starter on the offensive line in free agency and go into the draft looking at DT and offensive line. Linebacker is probably down the list some.

38. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 A True Fan

Another guy Slimm pointed me towards was the Wisconsin LB Borland (I think). Ive only got to see one game...but he is exactly what we need there. Instincts.

It will be an interesting offseason because if Ireland is gone...then this new GM could change everything. Will Phillibin stay? Lots of questions.
    If a new GM comes in and wants to ride with Tannehill (which they better) then I could see them all but neglecting the defense and focusing on building the line and getting Tannehill a running game and maybe a top TE.
    Id resign Solia and Grimes. Then focus on fielding an offensive line that can keep your QB on his feet.

39. 2413fanphins

2413fanphins A True Fan

40. phinking

phinking A True Fan

Ebron is fast but more of a straight line speed. I like Jace Amaro more

41. 2413fanphins

2413fanphins A True Fan

I get to watch every Iowa game. early in the season they just would not feed him the ball. lately, jake ruddock has been giving C.J. chances to make plays and it has been paying off. I have been advocating for C. J. for quite some time now, I think he can be pretty damn good. He needs some work, but boy that frame is something else. I don't know where he would go, but I would guess late 2nd-3rd, which if it holds would actually be perfect positioning for this team...

where do you think his stock is at right now?

42. dolphinheel

dolphinheel A True Fan

Totally agree Fox! I am a season ticket holder to all UNC games and this kid is the real deal, exactly the type of weapon we need to attack the center of the field. For those of you who haven't seen him, go back and watch his game against Miami. Once you see the video you will have no doubt either. I think we can address o-line a little later or through FA. When you have a chance to take a playmaker like this you do it. Remember I was the one who wanted us to draft GIO. We all know know how that turned out.

43. Hayden Fox

I just saw something I like with Ebron. He dropped a TD pass..right through his hands...the next play he comes up with a catch over the middle for a 1st down on 4th and 8.

Battled the adversity.

44. SF Dolphin Fan

If Miami can solve the LT position in free agency then that could open up the draft to go for a playmaker like Ebron, Amaro or one of the big, physical wide receivers. The draft may be strong enough on the offensive line for the Dolphins to get the upgrades they need in R2, R3 etc.

45. finsfanjay13

Rare drop for Ebron. The follow-up catch showed his athleticism and mental toughness. Ebron is my #1 TE.

46. finfan54

Sefarian-Jenkins is a big boy.

47. hoops

hoops exited stage left

dropped the ball but did you see the outside quick redirect back inside move to get open on the same play on the vertical route??? yeesh...that's nasty stuff...kind of thing you usually see from the wr position...he's smooth...plays tight end like a wr...damn good prospect

he ran that route like rishard mathews down the seam but at 6 ft 4 and 250 lbs...if that gets out of the top 15 somethings wrong

48. MacGruber1

MacGruber1 Disgusted Nationals Fan

Ive given up on hoping Jeff Ireland will draft a stud athletic mismatch TE. Ive already prepared myself to watch NE go grab one to fix their TE situation. God I hope its not ASJ from Washington.

49. finsfanjay13

He's a mismatch hell because of that, among other things. Living in the RTP area, I've have the benefit to watch him a ton. And I know that if the Dolphins call his name, I'm happy.

50. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

The WR look is why I'm not crazy about him, actually. He's not a good player in traffic and against contact, often gets beat fighting for the ball in tight spaces. I get the size/speed appeal, but he's not tough enough in traffic to warrant a #1 pick, imo. Space shrinks in the NFL, and I don't see him dominating tight spaces like a TE has to. I don't think you want him blocking much either. Would have to be pretty creative with him like we are with Clay.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013