ESPN: Can Miami Win AFC East ?????? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN: Can Miami Win AFC East ??????

shaqdiese1

Club Member
Reaction score
One of the headaches for the Miami Dolphins the past two seasons under head coach Joe Philbin has been the team’s inability to win within the AFC East. Philbin is a dreadful 4-8 against division teams since taking over the Dolphins in 2013. It’s one of the primary reasons Philbin is a below .500 coach (15-17) in Miami and is on the hot seat entering his third season.

Can the Dolphins turn things around against the AFC East this year? Winning within the division is the quickest way for Miami to end its playoff drought of six years.

Here is a preview of Miami’s AFC East matchups:

New England Patriots

Games: Week 1 and Week 15

nwepngw80h80transparenttrue-1.jpg
Analysis: The Patriots have been the beasts of the AFC East for more than a decade. The Dolphins were able to forge a split against New England last season with a big win against the Patriots in Week 15 at Sun Life Stadium. The win set Miami up for a push to the playoffs, but the Dolphins collapsed down the stretch against a pair of division foes. Last season was a down year for the Patriots because of injuries, but they still cruised to 12 wins and won the division by a landslide. The Dolphins must at least split with New England to have a chance to win the division. The Patriots are legit Super Bowl contenders assuming all of their healthy players return. Miami’s best chance to beat New England is in Week 1 at Sun Life Stadium.

Difficulty level (On scale of 1-to-10): 9

Buffalo Bills

Games: Week 2 and Week 11

bufpngw80h80transparenttrue-1.jpg
Analysis: The Dolphins were embarrassingly swept by the lowly Bills last season. Buffalo won six games, but two came against Miami. The Bills also played backup quarterback Thad Lewis in both games. This is the matchup the Dolphins can’t seem to shake. Buffalo is a team built to beat Miami. The Bills are a strong running team, which wore out Miami’s shaky run defense. The Bills also had a stout defensive line and players who can rush the passer. Miami’s offensive line was atrocious last season. Beating Buffalo isn’t difficult for most teams, but it is for Miami. However, if the Dolphins want to take the next step and get to the playoffs, they might have to sweep the Bills, which is a tall task.

Difficulty level: 8

New York Jets

Games: Week 13 and 17

nyjpngw80h80transparenttrue-1.jpg
Analysis: The Dolphins won’t face the Jets until later in the season. But that doesn’t make this divisional rivalry any less important. These games could have major playoff implications for both teams. The Dolphins and Jets both believe this is their year to make the postseason. The Patriots are the favorites to win the AFC East, and there might be one wild card in the division. The Dolphins and Jets have had a strong rivalry for many years. Recently, this matchup has taken an odd turn, as each team has been able to win on the road the past two seasons. A split seems to be the norm in this series. But if either team could sweep, that could increase its chances to make the playoffs.

Difficulty level: 7

i think we still split with new england,
split with bills
Beat the jets twice

Oh we can, opportunity has been there but they didn't take it for whatever reason. Let's that they get that monkey off their back and win because it's been within their grasp and they failed mightily. Pats are heading down, Jets are the Jets, and we have to be better plain and simple...opportunity is there.

A couple of thoughts. Tom Brady isn't the same quarterback he was a few years back. All you have to do is watch the AFC Championship game to come to that conclusion as Brady missed open receivers and essentially was a primary reason the Patriots lost. That said, he is still easily the best quarterback in the division.

Miami has a distinct advantage over both the Jets and the Bills if Ryan Tannehill can take the next step. Not to be a captain obvious, but that is the key to the Dolphins season and I see tremendous upside with Tannehill. The Jets quarterback situation still seems like a mess. I think Buffalo has a lot of young talent, but qb is still a question mark for them.

Miami seems set up to disrupt the passing game and to pass the football. I think this will play well against most opponents, but it could still be problematic against the Bills. I think Billy Turner and Shelley Smith could help the Dolphins as more physical players in the run game, but we'll have to see on that one.

I have to disagree with everyone saying Brady isn't the same QB as a few years ago. You take away Hernandez (483 yrds and 5 tds), Welker(1354 yrds and 6 tds), Lloyd 911 yrds and 4 tds and Gronk who started only 6 games. 12-4 record and #3 in the NFL in points scored with NO talent around him.

If anything he was amazing considering the talent around him.

As long as Brady is in the AFC east we'll be playing for second
and with up and coming Buffalo this will be no cake walk to get to the playoffs

The phins outplayed the Pats in BOTH games last season. I think the phins have a better roster overall. It all depends on Tannehill, as QB play is the difference between the 2 teams.
With an improved O line, the phins are a better team than Buffalo. Im not sold on Manuel, ditto for the Jets and Geno Smith
Buffalo beat the phins simply by dominating our O line. Dont think it will that easy for them this yr.

If tannehill takes a major step forward absolutely I expect to win the afc east

It's funny how we go through this every year. I'm saying it wth a solid no. Until they can prove they can win

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

It's funny how we go through this every year. I'm saying it wth a solid no. Until they can prove they can win

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Like you read my mind. This is New England's division until we prove it isn't.

Win the division is a little strong, Going 500 in the division is a good first step

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I think it comes down to how well the OL comes together. We have a lot more question marks on the OL than we did this time last year. If everything comes together magically, and Lazor's is allowed to take over all the offense without Philbin getting involved I think we have a chance. But make no mistake we still have huge question marks at OG. I think Dallas Thomas will be ok at OG, but Brenner, or Turner has to come in and step up as the starter at the other OG. If Shelly is the starter at the RG Ryan will not finish the season healthy.

The LBs play has to be improved also. Misi in the middle has to workout or Tripp has to step up. We have to have a MLB.

If we would have signed Revis instead of them I would like our chances. But the rich got richer and we're still trying to dig out from Ireland's mess. I predict Tom Brady is going to have one last amazing year then he'll really hit a wall or even retire.

Back
Top Bottom