ESPN James Walker: Fins have 3rd best defense........in the AFC East | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN James Walker: Fins have 3rd best defense........in the AFC East

Never stated soley, but you specified "Mike Nolan's defense" as a major reason why we lost.

I also suppose my point was more general as we always have threads pop up screaming "Karlos Dansby cost us the season!", "good thing Marshall is gone, he lost us countless games!", "we shouldnt resign Wake, he lost us games by not getting enough pressure!", "we should trade Long, elite LT's dont win games!", etc, etc, etc. You pointed out Nolan as a major reason, i pointed out our entire team sucked.
yep our entire team sucked. However if our d had played up to the numbers they posted over the last half of the season in the beginning of the season, we don't lose 7 in a row. It's undeniable.

did Miami give him reasons to write anything really positive last year?

:rolleyes2: See Junc, this is why you continually get yourself in huge trouble. Nobody is offending your Jets, nobody is calling you out, and here you are talking trash about the Dolphins.

yep our entire team sucked. However if our d had played up to the numbers they posted over the last half of the season in the beginning of the season, we don't lose 7 in a row. It's undeniable.

O-kay. And if our players had come into camp in shape we would have won more games. If we drafted Andy Dalton we probably would have won games at the beginning of the season. If we didnt have a coaching staff and front office invested in Chad Henne LONG after it was apparent that he couldnt cut it, we would have won more games. If we hadnt signed Marc Colombo we would have won more games. If Tony Sparano could figure out how to manage a football game we probably would have won more games.

I dare say those points are undeniable as well. Im not sure im understanding the point. Nolan deserves blame for the first few games of struggling but he also deserves credit for turning the unit around? I'll agree with that. But Mike Nolan is no longer here. I dont think its a gross insult for a writer to look at our team and go "well, they got older, they have more holes, they are switching to a system that the players arent really best suited for, they have a rookie coordinator and they couldnt stop the pass even when they had a proven defensive coordinator.....hmm, ill place them third".

First 7 games:

380 yards per game...270 passing / 110 rushing...23.7 PPG

Last 9 games:

317 yards per game...233 passing / 84 rushing...16.3 PPG

To me the big difference comes back to turnovers which puts an end to yards and scoring by opposing offense while setting up our own offense and momentum:

First 7 games = 4 turnovers

Last 9 games = 15 turnovers

Stats like this is why I gave Matt Moore a pass on his first 3 games starting. As a team we took a long time to start playing decent football. Lack of work outs before the season plus adding a OC who did not seem to know what he wanted to do plus Thomas, Clay and Gates etc being hurt. The OL was poor. Daboll had little idea what to do with R Bush.

Same thing on defense. Everyone was out of shape and I'm not sure if Nolan had everyone up to speed.

I can agree with this writer. At least until the games begin. If you look at the draft and free agency, the Patriots, Jets and Bills all went defense. We went offense.

We are switching to a 4-3 without having a great MLB. K Dansby is on his last season, two at most. We do not have 3 good solid corners and our safeties are suspect.

IMO, this is one reason we ran the ball so much, to shorten games and keep the ball out of the other offense's hands.

"Vastly improved" could mean moving into the top half of the league's defenses, which IMO, would be great for the Bills considering they were in the high 20s, and almost as bad as the Pats in pass defense.

On paper, I'd give the Jets the nod, but I think when they play the games, their statistically rankings will likely falter. I think that they may be pretty good against the run, but teams are going to gouge them in the passing game. Their safeties remain a big liability in the passing game, and there's no guarantee that they'll generate a better pass rush than they did last season. Coples is converting from a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB as well as being a rookie.

I'd say, as of today, it's:
Jests
Fins
Bills
Pats

The Jets defense has been top 5 the past 3 seasons since Rex became HC, Rex wasn't as hands on with the defense last season but he will be this season. And I don't see how teams are going to gouge us in the passing game... Last season with a mediocre pass rush and bad safeties we still had a top 5 pass defense. We have IMO the best CB tandem in the league. And our safeties should be better than last season, if Laron Landry is healthy hes a guy that can ran a 4.35 coming into the league and has the range to blow guys up over the middle. Bell is better than Eric Smith. Overall I like our depth better at safety than last season, we have guys that should be more active, a lot depends on if Landry can stay healthy and if our rookies can contribute. My biggest issue with the defense is the lack of depth at OLB, Coples is not converting to OLB, he will be playing with his hand in the dirt. Bryan Thomas is coming off of a significant surgery and is older, not much of a pass rusher to begin with. Then there is Pace who is solid but not much of a pass rusher. Aaron Maybin has to build off of last season. But for the most part, the Jets play team defense.

I am not sure how well are D will be with the new coaches in place. I think it will take a little bit to get everyone to gel together but i think we will be ook. i think a mid pack ranked D for the year.

O-kay. And if our players had come into camp in shape we would have won more games. If we drafted Andy Dalton we probably would have won games at the beginning of the season. If we didnt have a coaching staff and front office invested in Chad Henne LONG after it was apparent that he couldnt cut it, we would have won more games. If we hadnt signed Marc Colombo we would have won more games. If Tony Sparano could figure out how to manage a football game we probably would have won more games.

I dare say those points are undeniable as well. Im not sure im understanding the point. Nolan deserves blame for the first few games of struggling but he also deserves credit for turning the unit around? I'll agree with that. But Mike Nolan is no longer here. I dont think its a gross insult for a writer to look at our team and go "well, they got older, they have more holes, they are switching to a system that the players arent really best suited for, they have a rookie coordinator and they couldnt stop the pass even when they had a proven defensive coordinator.....hmm, ill place them third".
don't be obtuse. I'm working with the knowledge that A.) our defense cost us the a lot of game last season esp in the beginning. B.) nolan was the DC (which I don't know why the **** i'm explaining this, probably has something to do with a poster being obtuse. C.) the D failing is ultimately on mike nolan. Of course the team failing is ultimately on sparano. which is why those two both deserved to be fired. I have no problem with saying the phins have the 3rd place D going into the season. heck I have no problem wtih saying they have the fourth place D. You don't subtract things like coaches and players and expect to have people see those as pluses.

btw if nolan didn't turn the unit around, then who did? who deserves the credit for making the D respectable by the end of the season? in this very thread someone said bowles deserves the credit. if so, I don't know how anyone could defend nolan based on last years 7 games of crap and 9 games of reduced authority. (waiting on confirmation of his "demotion".)

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

The Jets defense has been top 5 the past 3 seasons since Rex became HC, Rex wasn't as hands on with the defense last season but he will be this season. And I don't see how teams are going to gouge us in the passing game... Last season with a mediocre pass rush and bad safeties we still had a top 5 pass defense. We have IMO the best CB tandem in the league. And our safeties should be better than last season, if Laron Landry is healthy hes a guy that can ran a 4.35 coming into the league and has the range to blow guys up over the middle. Bell is better than Eric Smith. Overall I like our depth better at safety than last season, we have guys that should be more active, a lot depends on if Landry can stay healthy and if our rookies can contribute. My biggest issue with the defense is the lack of depth at OLB, Coples is not converting to OLB, he will be playing with his hand in the dirt. Bryan Thomas is coming off of a significant surgery and is older, not much of a pass rusher to begin with. Then there is Pace who is solid but not much of a pass rusher. Aaron Maybin has to build off of last season. But for the most part, the Jets play team defense.
If rex is smart, he'll keep his hands off the d, and keep the ball out of sanchez's hands too.

have to agree....cant expect to have one of the best defenses when we arnet even sure how we're gonna use our pieces on defense yet

we're a ? mark, at best right now.

This ESPN analyst is a joke. Total Defense is the most deceptive stat in the NFL, it’s truly all about scoring defense; if you can’t score on a defense you can’t beat that team. The Dolphins were 6[SUP]th[/SUP] in scoring defense; the Jets were an embarrassing 20[SUP]th[/SUP]. The AFC East standings based on this crucial stat should be as follows…

1. Miami
2. New England
3. New York
4. Buffalo

James Walker and the rest of the NFL media is ALWAYS going to be bias against the Dolphins.

What he fails to talk about is that the Dolphins defense gave up a lot of their points off turnovers. The only knock I have on the Dolphins defense is making more plays (sacks, INT's, fumbles, tackles for loss, etc). With Coyles as the new DC, we're definitely going to be seeing more playmakers.

Adding Mario Williams to a defense doesn't automatically make them better than other defenses. The Jets are overrated on all accounts. I would put the Dolphins as the top defense. And I think the Pats D will improve greatly .

We absolutely have the best defense in our division.....The Jets have zero pass rush and outside of Revis have a very difficult time covering anyone one-on-one for the 3 seconds they have too. They are also not as good at shutting down the run since Jenkins began his slew of injuries. Bart Scott is well past his prime and regularly gets stood up by FB and G's. Rex may be the most defensive minded coach in the division but his blitz schemes have lost much of there luster and the humorous part is that Sparano drafted the blue print to neutralize there multiple/free blitzer scheme.

Miami by far has the most depth and is the most talented in the front 7. Yes the bills got Mario who played 4 games last year and Mark Anderson who the pass rush needy Pats let walk. The Bills also have a post steroid Merriman and a has been Nick Barnett headlining there LBing corps. Meaning there LBs suck. Dansby and Burnett trump any Lbs in our division maybe now being rivaled by Mayo and Hightower.

Also the reason we were 25th against the pass is because we shut down the run and Nolan was deathly afraid to play aggressive in obvious passing situations. When all you do is play predictable coverage and your stud pass rusher gets mugged all day its gonna be tough to stop Terrific Tom.

Best front 7, all kinds of talent and potential in the defensive secondary....if our guys can hold onto the ball this year our defense will be feared around the League.....

NYJunc thinking the Jets defense is best in the division......dude wake up.....Jets had one stellar year on D and still lost to Peyton.....your window is closed and you have nothing at QB...head on back to gang green.

James Walker and the rest of the NFL media is ALWAYS going to be bias against the Dolphins.

What he fails to talk about is that the Dolphins defense gave up a lot of their points off turnovers. The only knock I have on the Dolphins defense is making more plays (sacks, INT's, fumbles, tackles for loss, etc). With Coyles as the new DC, we're definitely going to be seeing more playmakers.

Adding Mario Williams to a defense doesn't automatically make them better than other defenses. The Jets are overrated on all accounts. I would put the Dolphins as the top defense. And I think the Pats D will improve greatly .

so most of Miami's points allowed came off turnovers but the Jets are overrated? do you realize the Jets turned it over 34 times while Miami turned it over 25 times but the Jets D is overrated and Miami's D has the TO excuse.

I do agree our D was not very good last year but it's going to be more '09 & '10 like than '11 like this year

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

We absolutely have the best defense in our division.....The Jets have zero pass rush and outside of Revis have a very difficult time covering anyone one-on-one for the 3 seconds they have too. They are also not as good at shutting down the run since Jenkins began his slew of injuries. Bart Scott is well past his prime and regularly gets stood up by FB and G's. Rex may be the most defensive minded coach in the division but his blitz schemes have lost much of there luster and the humorous part is that Sparano drafted the blue print to neutralize there multiple/free blitzer scheme.

Miami by far has the most depth and is the most talented in the front 7. Yes the bills got Mario who played 4 games last year and Mark Anderson who the pass rush needy Pats let walk. The Bills also have a post steroid Merriman and a has been Nick Barnett headlining there LBing corps. Meaning there LBs suck. Dansby and Burnett trump any Lbs in our division maybe now being rivaled by Mayo and Hightower.

Also the reason we were 25th against the pass is because we shut down the run and Nolan was deathly afraid to play aggressive in obvious passing situations. When all you do is play predictable coverage and your stud pass rusher gets mugged all day its gonna be tough to stop Terrific Tom.

Best front 7, all kinds of talent and potential in the defensive secondary....if our guys can hold onto the ball this year our defense will be feared around the League.....

NYJunc thinking the Jets defense is best in the division......dude wake up.....Jets had one stellar year on D and still lost to Peyton.....your window is closed and you have nothing at QB...head on back to gang green.

The best front 7, best at shutting down the run, arguably best lb corps if Kaddu or Koa can step up,

how does the best D in the division help their team start 0-7? anything after 0-7 you can throw out b/c your season was over.

It's funny how you guys tell me our D is overrated(a year ago I'd agree), our coach isn't very good and our QB stinks yet we seem to have success every year- how does that happen?

The list is correct if you base it off from last season performace and moves up until this point in the season. The Jets have the best D in the division, they have proven it time and time again over the past few seasons. Miami is 2nd or 3rd until they prove themselves and if you are making a list off paper comparisons the Bills did more in the offseason on that side of the ball to warrant the leap frog of Miami to 2nd on the list.

Like it or not Miami has a huge question mark at both safety positions, they have an overpaid ILB who should be an all pro but isn't and they need a pass rusher to complement Wake. The switch to the hybrid 43/34 will help out the unit but in the NFL you better be able to shut down the passing game and unless I missed something in football 101, the safety position and pass rush have major implications on pass coverage and how well it is executed.

Um its a team game there junc....There are 3 aspects to the game last time i checked and we weren't very good at the offensive part last year to open things up.....also the shortened offseason and our TERRIBLE coaching may have played a roll. its good though beacuse now Sparano is your problem...so be ready to watch Tebow wild cat it up all day while marky stuffs his face with wieners on the sideline. 8-8 is success? All that is is missing the playoffs and getting a terrible draft position. Its like the worst of both worlds.....now im not gonna say if your not gonna make the playoffs....losee every game, etc. but im just saying missing the playoffs in the nfl...not one person characterizes that year as a success.

Oh yea we did start 0-7..so we didnt win like anything the first half of the year...and yet finish only two games behind you....including taggin that behind week 17 when we ended your season....i wont forget Marky fav target...Randy Starks...he threw more competitions to our 300+ lbs d-lineman that game than he did to his #1 wr Santonio.....dang...but your year was a success as you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom