ESPN May Power Rankings

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zackmandude63, May 27, 2009.

1. zackmandude63

zackmandude63 Poconos Phinatic!

2. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Was looking at some of the draft comparisons.

I was interested to see the writer say that White doesn't have the accuracy to play QB in the NFL, and say that Sanchez impressed teams with his off-season accuracy. From what I understand, White out-threw Sanchez at the combine.

As far as the PR, I don't think the Bears or Vikings should be ranked ahead of us. The Cowboys are still more talented than we are, but they're a team that has a lot to prove. And, I think we're better than the Falcons. I'm also interested to see how well the Titans play this year. I'm thinking they might be one of the teams to fall off this season.

3. ADavieDolphin

ADavieDolphin StickyIckyRicky

funny, my thoughts exactly..
    I'll add in the Colts and Ravens as teams that will be right around 500 this year. Losing key parts to their coaching staff will impact this team, probably more so for the Ravens than the Colts, Peyton can be QB/Head Coach and still be over 500

4. Emil305

Emil305 Rookie

I know what u mean when the media falls in love with a particular player they become god like even when out played or out performed by another player who is not in the medias eye....

5. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Good bathroom reading material

6. flounder97

flounder97 Starter

I'll take the guy the media downplays every time. Gives him extra incentive to do well.

7. SpaceMountain16

SpaceMountain16 Disgruntled Donator

ESPN only covers four teams, who cares what they think?

8. Oraclepz

Oraclepz Seasoned Veteran

i always love how in these power ranking the falcons are always so much better than us. Besides Tony Gonzalez what did they do? They lost keith brooking and their defense is not better than ours.

9. MDFinFan06

MDFinFan06 Fins4life

The thing is the Falcons are thought of as a good offensive team and are definately over hyped. but our defense is so downplayed that most people dont think its good enough to overcome the difference in offense. that said i think that both our defense and offense are underrated and are gunna be consistantly good, not great. i hope we turn into a defensive team, i loved that about us.

10. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Why does the media assume Brady will be the same player he was before? He missed an entire year with a serious knee injury. I am not buying the hype. I actually would rather face Brady then Matt Cassell as we should have an easier team sacking Brady and keeping him in check.

11. cowboy82nd

cowboy82nd Starter

Shoot, I would rather face Cassell and his Chiefs teammates than Brady and his Patriot teammates.

12. cowboy82nd

cowboy82nd Starter

I live outside of Atlanta (from Ft. Lauderdale) and it was better for the Falcons to let Brooking go. He was overrated as a player. What really hurt him is his cover skills. Plus he couldn't provide any pressure when asked to.

13. ArmyFin7

ArmyFin7 U cry about the $$$, we do the dirtywork

and they're replacing him with who???

14. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2

I hate power rankings.

Somehow though, I can't help but read them and analyze them, lol.

These rankings seem to be a fair assessment going into pre-season though.

I find it curious which 6 teams from each conference they have at the top of the board, it essentially is peak at who they feel the playoff teams will be. Being ranked at #7 in the AFC isnt all that bad, they pretty much are calling us a fringe team (along with the Texans and Jets/Bills not too far behind.)

It seems they have the Pats, Steelers, Indy, and the Chargers taking their divisions with Baltimore and the Titans as wildcards.

Can't argue with the opinion on the Steelers, in fact, they could be better this year if their runing backs stay healthy.

As much as I hate to admit it, until we see otherwise, we are gonna have to assume the Patriots will pick up where they left off, however they are getting older by the minute and their coaching staff is thinning out faster than Belichick's hairline.

I am surprised at the Colts ranking though. Granted, any team with Peyton Manning at QB will automatically be good, but I am not sure they are doing enough to keep that machine running. The D is a mess and the offense is short one hall of fame WR. Not to mention their biggest issue, the coaching staff is in shambles.

The Chargers should probably run away with the AFC west, and I dont see any wildcards coming out of that division. If they stay healthy and Norv Turner doesnt screw things up, the Chargers may be the best team in the AFC this year.

Baltimore lost some KEY players this year. They lost their Defensive Coordinator, which is a MAJOR blow. Scott, Jason Brown, Lorenzo Neal, Matt Stover, Jim Leonhard. Some of that has been softened by the additions of Matt Birk at C and Foxworth at CB, but losing that many starters will have an impact on them for sure.

And the Titans, who similar to Baltimore, lost some important people. Jim Schwartz left to head the Detriot Lions, and obviously, Albert Haynesworth leaves big shoes to fill on their D. They also have some aging concerns and a BIG question at QB. I know this guy Kerry Collins. I've seen the guy play for years. Last year was a career year, unfortunately for Kerry, his career is over. The question is not *if* Vince Young (or Patrick Ramsey?!) plays this year, it is *when*.

All that said, I like our chances this year.

15. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2

I like pointing out that Matt Cassel has more career 400 yard games than Tom Brady:)

Cassel has 2, Brady has 1 (And Brady needed OT to put him over that magic number.)

Now granted, Brady has many, many more 300 or heck even 350+ yard games, and I dont think there is REALLY a dispute as to who the better QB is (for now anyway.)

But maybe that suggests that Brady doesnt quite get the mileage out of his receivers that Matt Cassel does?

Also it may indicate that the Patriots are playing from behind more often due to an aging defense?

16. cowboy82nd

cowboy82nd Starter

Mike Peterson from Jacksonville.

17. FinsFanforlife1

FinsFanforlife1 Rookie

Slowly but surely we are moving up each month. Good sign.

18. 72champagne

72champagne the annual ritual

can i get a hard copy? think i'm 'bout out of tp.

19. Lorenzo Rules

Lorenzo Rules A True Fan

my power rankings are like this.

#1 Miami dolphins even without sage and Randy this team will be fun to watch.

#2 ny Jets will be the favorite to win the division.

# 3 the pats will most certainly finish 1st or 2nd in the division.

#4 the Bills with T.O. could surpass the fins because of a proven wr corp.

20. Dredd1050

Dredd1050 A STRONG MAN SHEDS BLOOD BEFORE TEARS

Because he will be. Come on people, we all know it'll be the freaking story of the year. Those freakin Pats get every break. Brady will come back as effective as he was before, Fred Taylor will have a re-birth and Miami will be looking at a do or die game on Dec 6.

21. Phinja

Phinja You Can't See Me...

This.

Not to mention that if a DL or LB so much as sneezes on Brady, the refs are gonna flag it. The league doesn't want it's golden boy down for the count again.

I wouldn't be surprised if the league disallows teams to even blitz the Pats, like they do during the Probowl. Just to make sure Brady stays A-OK! :foundout:

22. SigmaOmega

SigmaOmega Starter

More like good bathroom wiping material -_-

23. Xeticus

Xeticus Starter

I know it's a couple of months away but how do the Falcons fans see the 1st game against us? Do they think it's going to be a good game or are they assuming that the falcons are going to win it?

24. Hargitt01

Hargitt01 Scout Team

25. Hargitt01

Hargitt01 Scout Team

#1 I hope so
    #2 DEF NOT!!
    #3 Probably so
    #4 No O-line, Lot of hot passes coming out resulting in turnovers.

26. snausages2009

snausages2009 footBALLER

i thnk 15 is about right
    all the teams above us are probably better with the exception of the vikings
    we'll still kick some butt this season so im not worried