ESPN May Power Rankings | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN May Power Rankings

zackmandude63

Poconos Phinatic!
Reaction score
mia-1.gif
15 (8)Dolphins11-5-0An encore performance will be difficult, but under-the-radar moves made them better on defense and on the offensive line. (TG)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2009&week=0

at least new england isnt ranked #1

Was looking at some of the draft comparisons.

I was interested to see the writer say that White doesn't have the accuracy to play QB in the NFL, and say that Sanchez impressed teams with his off-season accuracy. From what I understand, White out-threw Sanchez at the combine.

As far as the PR, I don't think the Bears or Vikings should be ranked ahead of us. The Cowboys are still more talented than we are, but they're a team that has a lot to prove. And, I think we're better than the Falcons. I'm also interested to see how well the Titans play this year. I'm thinking they might be one of the teams to fall off this season.

Was looking at some of the draft comparisons.

I was interested to see the writer say that White doesn't have the accuracy to play QB in the NFL, and say that Sanchez impressed teams with his off-season accuracy. From what I understand, White out-threw Sanchez at the combine.

As far as the PR, I don't think the Bears or Vikings should be ranked ahead of us. The Cowboys are still more talented than we are, but they're a team that has a lot to prove. And, I think we're better than the Falcons. I'm also interested to see how well the Titans play this year. I'm thinking they might be one of the teams to fall off this season.

funny, my thoughts exactly..
I'll add in the Colts and Ravens as teams that will be right around 500 this year. Losing key parts to their coaching staff will impact this team, probably more so for the Ravens than the Colts, Peyton can be QB/Head Coach and still be over 500

I know what u mean when the media falls in love with a particular player they become god like even when out played or out performed by another player who is not in the medias eye....

I know what u mean when the media falls in love with a particular player they become god like even when out played or out performed by another player who is not in the medias eye....
I'll take the guy the media downplays every time. Gives him extra incentive to do well.

i always love how in these power ranking the falcons are always so much better than us. Besides Tony Gonzalez what did they do? They lost keith brooking and their defense is not better than ours.

i always love how in these power ranking the falcons are always so much better than us. Besides Tony Gonzalez what did they do? They lost keith brooking and their defense is not better than ours.
The thing is the Falcons are thought of as a good offensive team and are definately over hyped. but our defense is so downplayed that most people dont think its good enough to overcome the difference in offense. that said i think that both our defense and offense are underrated and are gunna be consistantly good, not great. i hope we turn into a defensive team, i loved that about us.

Why does the media assume Brady will be the same player he was before? He missed an entire year with a serious knee injury. I am not buying the hype. I actually would rather face Brady then Matt Cassell as we should have an easier team sacking Brady and keeping him in check.

Why does the media assume Brady will be the same player he was before? He missed an entire year with a serious knee injury. I am not buying the hype. I actually would rather face Brady then Matt Cassell as we should have an easier team sacking Brady and keeping him in check.

Shoot, I would rather face Cassell and his Chiefs teammates than Brady and his Patriot teammates.

I live outside of Atlanta (from Ft. Lauderdale) and it was better for the Falcons to let Brooking go. He was overrated as a player. What really hurt him is his cover skills. Plus he couldn't provide any pressure when asked to.

I hate power rankings.

Somehow though, I can't help but read them and analyze them, lol.

These rankings seem to be a fair assessment going into pre-season though.

I find it curious which 6 teams from each conference they have at the top of the board, it essentially is peak at who they feel the playoff teams will be. Being ranked at #7 in the AFC isnt all that bad, they pretty much are calling us a fringe team (along with the Texans and Jets/Bills not too far behind.)

It seems they have the Pats, Steelers, Indy, and the Chargers taking their divisions with Baltimore and the Titans as wildcards.

Can't argue with the opinion on the Steelers, in fact, they could be better this year if their runing backs stay healthy.

As much as I hate to admit it, until we see otherwise, we are gonna have to assume the Patriots will pick up where they left off, however they are getting older by the minute and their coaching staff is thinning out faster than Belichick's hairline.

I am surprised at the Colts ranking though. Granted, any team with Peyton Manning at QB will automatically be good, but I am not sure they are doing enough to keep that machine running. The D is a mess and the offense is short one hall of fame WR. Not to mention their biggest issue, the coaching staff is in shambles.

The Chargers should probably run away with the AFC west, and I dont see any wildcards coming out of that division. If they stay healthy and Norv Turner doesnt screw things up, the Chargers may be the best team in the AFC this year.

Baltimore lost some KEY players this year. They lost their Defensive Coordinator, which is a MAJOR blow. Scott, Jason Brown, Lorenzo Neal, Matt Stover, Jim Leonhard. Some of that has been softened by the additions of Matt Birk at C and Foxworth at CB, but losing that many starters will have an impact on them for sure.

And the Titans, who similar to Baltimore, lost some important people. Jim Schwartz left to head the Detriot Lions, and obviously, Albert Haynesworth leaves big shoes to fill on their D. They also have some aging concerns and a BIG question at QB. I know this guy Kerry Collins. I've seen the guy play for years. Last year was a career year, unfortunately for Kerry, his career is over. The question is not *if* Vince Young (or Patrick Ramsey?!) plays this year, it is *when*.

All that said, I like our chances this year.

I like pointing out that Matt Cassel has more career 400 yard games than Tom Brady:)

Cassel has 2, Brady has 1 (And Brady needed OT to put him over that magic number.)

Now granted, Brady has many, many more 300 or heck even 350+ yard games, and I dont think there is REALLY a dispute as to who the better QB is (for now anyway.)

But maybe that suggests that Brady doesnt quite get the mileage out of his receivers that Matt Cassel does?

Also it may indicate that the Patriots are playing from behind more often due to an aging defense?

Back
Top Bottom