ESPN Patriots mailbag | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN Patriots mailbag

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
One of the other hot topics was the tight end position, and the Patriots' struggles in that area. Some other free-agent possibilities, draft chatter, and Bill Belichick's possibly taking on too much responsibility are also touched upon.

Q: Given all the moves the Jets have taken to upgrade their roster (accumulating talent vs. team building debate aside), how would you view the balance of power if they were also able to trade Leon Washington and some draft picks to Denver for Brandon Marshall? I don't want to mistake inactivity for complacency, but there doesn't seem to be any sense of immediacy with the Pats' approach to this offseason. Retaining talent on a team that performed as it should have last year doesn't give me hope that results will be any different next time around. -- Jason (Hantsport, Novia Scotia)

A: Jason, if the Jets get Marshall -- and I think if they offered their first-round draft choice today it would be a done deal -- I'd view them as the NFL's biggest boom-or-bust team. There is potential for explosiveness in that scenario. At the same time, there is potential for the whole thing to blow up with so many egos and volatile personalities in the mix. As for the Patriots, I think it's important to remember that free agency is just one part of the overall equation and not a very good one this year. Between a very strong draft and trades, they will have a much different look. I think their approach has been sound to this point and there is now flexibility to go in a number of different areas in terms of the next pieces to join the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=4999569

Back
Top Bottom