ESPN/Walker: "Miami TE Michael Egnew showing strides" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN/Walker: "Miami TE Michael Egnew showing strides"

NYPhin24

Scout Team
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/59719/dolphins-te-michael-egnew-showing-strides

It's early, but Egnew looks like an improved player in Year 2 during organized team activities. Egnew had perhaps his best practice of the offseason on Monday, catching three touchdown passes in seven-on-seven and 11-on-11 drills.

Egnew credits some of his early improvement to training in mixed martial arts this offseason. Now, Egnew is working to earn the trust of Miami's coaching staff after a redshirt 2012 season.

On Monday I asked Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin about Egnew's development and making more plays in practice this year.

“I see the same things you do, and it makes me feel more confident about his ability,” Philbin responded. “He’s starting to understand his role in the offense better, and maybe we know a little more about him, too, so we can put him in a position to make those type of plays. It’s been encouraging.”

Man if he plays up to his potential our offense could be so scary!

The Miami Dolphins mob won't be happy with this.

Ah great, gonna stir up the bee hive. I'm not sure this deserved another thread.

So the 1,000 threads BASHING Egnew are ok..... but the one POSITIVE thread actually containing an article and analysis.... is not ok

I just hope to see ANY production out of him at this point. Only time will tell!

So the 1,000 threads BASHING Egnew are ok..... but the one POSITIVE thread actually containing an article and analysis.... is not ok

There are some other recent thread specifically bringing up Egnew's good performance in OTAs. I think this is probably best discussed within them but it's just my opinion.

I don't think those however many threads bashing Egnew for no good reason are worthy either.

Threads like this just give fuel to people who like to pretend that there's a faction of fans who believe Egnew is the super awesomest most greatest player ever, so that their own continuous stream of unmitigated Egnew bashing looks like just a reasonable counter response rather than what it really is, which is an unjustified reaction to 60 seconds of Hard Knocks footage combined with a rookie not playing much in his rookie year (which we've seen in the NFL, countless times).

Ok, I'll say it. Lets see this continue with him wearing pads.

Hopefully Keller is healthy all year long.

I hope Egnew does well, but even in that article...

I can see what the critics say about his body type. He does not look right in that picture. Something just looks wrong. He doesn't look like a WR or a TE.

I'm not sure I see body type arguments to be made against him. I've heard it before, I just don't see it.

And FWIW, recent camp pictures lead me to believe his MMA training has leaned him up and reduced some of his bulk. I think MMA naturally trains you more for endurance and flexibility rather than heft and pure strength. So it would be natural if Egnew is a bit more wiry this year than a year ago. Joe Philbin's statement about them knowing a little bit more about him and putting him in position to make those plays also hints to me at the probability that the coaching staff knew he was leaning up and getting smaller, and were perfectly OK with it.

His blocking problems are less about strength and size, and more about technique and focus. With his lack of technique and focus, it doesn't matter whether he's 240 lbs or 260 lbs. He's not going to be a great blocker at either weight. If that's the case you might as well lean up and be as explosive, fast, agile and acrobatic as you can be so that you'll be a compelling pass catcher. In the mean time, you work on your technique and focus in the blocking department, which is what the MMA training was about.

Back
Top Bottom