ESPN/Walker: "Miami TE Michael Egnew showing strides"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NYPhin24, Jun 3, 2013.

1. NYPhin24

NYPhin24 Scout Team

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/59719/dolphins-te-michael-egnew-showing-strides

It's early, but Egnew looks like an improved player in Year 2 during organized team activities. Egnew had perhaps his best practice of the offseason on Monday, catching three touchdown passes in seven-on-seven and 11-on-11 drills.

Egnew credits some of his early improvement to training in mixed martial arts this offseason. Now, Egnew is working to earn the trust of Miami's coaching staff after a redshirt 2012 season.

On Monday I asked Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin about Egnew's development and making more plays in practice this year.

“I see the same things you do, and it makes me feel more confident about his ability,” Philbin responded. “He’s starting to understand his role in the offense better, and maybe we know a little more about him, too, so we can put him in a position to make those type of plays. It’s been encouraging.”

2. mega-fin-love

mega-fin-love Just trust me Donator

We'll see. Not buying anything until I actually see him in a game but......sounds good

3. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

Man if he plays up to his potential our offense could be so scary!

4. Dfan06

Dfan06 Seasoned Veteran

The Miami Dolphins mob won't be happy with this.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Ah great, gonna stir up the bee hive. I'm not sure this deserved another thread.

6. NYPhin24

NYPhin24 Scout Team

So the 1,000 threads BASHING Egnew are ok..... but the one POSITIVE thread actually containing an article and analysis.... is not ok

7. Fins_of_Fury

Fins_of_Fury In a contract year

I just hope to see ANY production out of him at this point. Only time will tell!

8. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Way to twist someone's words

9. ckparrothead

There are some other recent thread specifically bringing up Egnew's good performance in OTAs. I think this is probably best discussed within them but it's just my opinion.

I don't think those however many threads bashing Egnew for no good reason are worthy either.

Threads like this just give fuel to people who like to pretend that there's a faction of fans who believe Egnew is the super awesomest most greatest player ever, so that their own continuous stream of unmitigated Egnew bashing looks like just a reasonable counter response rather than what it really is, which is an unjustified reaction to 60 seconds of Hard Knocks footage combined with a rookie not playing much in his rookie year (which we've seen in the NFL, countless times).

10. moonman

moonman >tfw dolphins fan

Can he block?

11. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Ok, I'll say it. Lets see this continue with him wearing pads.

12. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Nope and Keller cant and hes our starting TE

13. ckparrothead

This reminds me of the haggling scene in Monty Python's Life of Brian. Going through the motions, pointlessly.

14. tcdrover

tcdrover Pro Bowler

Hopefully Keller is healthy all year long.

I hope Egnew does well, but even in that article...

I can see what the critics say about his body type. He does not look right in that picture. Something just looks wrong. He doesn't look like a WR or a TE.

15. ckparrothead

I'm not sure I see body type arguments to be made against him. I've heard it before, I just don't see it.

And FWIW, recent camp pictures lead me to believe his MMA training has leaned him up and reduced some of his bulk. I think MMA naturally trains you more for endurance and flexibility rather than heft and pure strength. So it would be natural if Egnew is a bit more wiry this year than a year ago. Joe Philbin's statement about them knowing a little bit more about him and putting him in position to make those plays also hints to me at the probability that the coaching staff knew he was leaning up and getting smaller, and were perfectly OK with it.

His blocking problems are less about strength and size, and more about technique and focus. With his lack of technique and focus, it doesn't matter whether he's 240 lbs or 260 lbs. He's not going to be a great blocker at either weight. If that's the case you might as well lean up and be as explosive, fast, agile and acrobatic as you can be so that you'll be a compelling pass catcher. In the mean time, you work on your technique and focus in the blocking department, which is what the MMA training was about.

16. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

It is a new article written today about events that happened at today's OTAs, other threads were based on previous OTAs. Nothing wrong with having this new thread.

17. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

Not a fair characterization of the people who dislike Egnew, imo. This comment here really seems directed at a few people -- one in particular -- but by trying to disguise it what you're really doing is engaging in widespread ad hominem attack. If I dislike Egnew because I thought he college tape wasn't very good and had that opinion supported by every report that came out about him -- in other words, from more than just Hard Knocks -- then I'd feel as justified being negative about him at every opportunity as I would be being positive about Rishard Matthews at every opportunity if I liked him at Nevada and saw flashes.

It is what it is. You make it sound like it's not appropriate to have a stance on Egnew when what I really think you're doing is objecting to the volume.

18. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i don't blame you for saying it...last year it was in pads that he showed nothing...so to say he needs to show in pads makes plenty of sense...but i guess that makes you a member of the miami mob...i'm of the mindset you earn your spot on the 53 or at least you show off redeeming qualities...not just given it...you've had your mulligan...now you're gonna have to show me and prove me wrong...

if it was up to me he never would have made it out of that first training camp...and not just because of any hard knocks coach bashing

19. hoops

hoops exited stage left

he's coming after me...what else is new...ha ha...cause you know it was all media hype brought on by hard knocks portrayal of the kid and a couple catches against current 9 to 5 ers late in preseason games that i couldn't see the uber talent and justify a roster spot...

what he's doing is making crap up to try and cover for a really poor showing by a guy he liked as a prospect...but that's nothing new...

i hope this kid does show something to make it even worth an argument cause right now all it looks like is some people are getting clowned...

20. ckparrothead

You were not the first (or third, or fourth) person I was thinking of when I wrote that.

21. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

Egnew bashing is a proxy for Ireland bashing...

I was not encouraged by Egnew whatsoever last season and I have also basically written him off as a bust (glad if in proven wrong!), but it seems like there is so much vitriol against the EggMan because he was the one pick of Ireland's that didn't show any potential last year, so all the Ireland haters could point at him for everything that was wrong with Ireland's ability to draft talent.

22. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

The second?

23. hoops

hoops exited stage left

1a...ha ha

24. ckparrothead

Maybe top five. I was not targeting (at all) people whose dislike of Michael Egnew stretches all the way back to well before he was drafted.

25. Heinegrabber

Heinegrabber Since 84 Finheaven VIP

Egnew BALLIN

26. hoops

hoops exited stage left

well it sure felt that way and i bet walrus would say it read to him as directed at me...bottom line is if the kid proves himself to be worth a damn then give me all the hell you want...but making plays in underwear is not proving anything nor does it really lend to anything once the pads come on...put the pads on and show you belong...if not stop wasting time in my facility

and you can add that cb will davis to my list also...i don't like that player off college tape either...at all...hated both these 3rd round picks when i evaluated them...

27. ckparrothead

Anyone who disliked Michael Egnew prior to the Draft, I fully understand and expect them to dislike Michael Egnew right now. I have never had a problem with that. I have more of a problem with people who didn't have an opinion on Egnew until Hard Knocks.

WHEN I argued with you about Michael Egnew in the past, it was because you outwardly and explicitly accused anyone who believes Michael Egnew could still ever amount to anything in the NFL of refusing to admit when they've been PROVEN wrong. And this was still during the preseason if I remember correctly. The preseason of a guy's rookie year. In other words, you clearly did not afford me the same respect that I afforded you. That was wrong of you.

28. moonman

moonman >tfw dolphins fan

If a 3rd round pick shows you something in his rookie season that is a net plus. You can't have those type of expectations year in and year out of a 3rd round pick. Many of them are projects.

29. hoops

hoops exited stage left

well the part you leave out of that is how after we drafted the guy when i voiced my opinion on the prospect after plenty of predraft study mind you cause i do my homework and my utter distaste for his game in the pros both you and slimm told me i didn't know what i was talking about and that i was way off base how it was a great 3rd round pick value and prospect at the position...

so yeah maybe i did take some of that with me when the guy looked like *** in a bucket come camp and preseason...and then did nothing the entire season

30. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

I'd be all for it if Egnew kicked *** this year. Why wouldn't everyone else? Last year is gone and the future is now.

31. ckparrothead

I left it out because it didn't happen. I can't speak for Slimm. I don't know what he said to you. I think you could be confusing the two of us, but that conversation and whatever offenses were offered and/or taken is for you and Slimm to hash out and I'd kindly thank you to leave me out of it. I did not accuse you of not knowing what you're talking about on Michael Egnew. If I stated that I disagree with your assessment of Egnew, and you took insult to my merely having a different opinion than you, that is your problem, not mine.

32. hoops

hoops exited stage left

god knows we could use another red zone win option...that would be great

33. flynryan15

flynryan15 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

You rang? :lol2:

34. hoops

hoops exited stage left

that's bs...it's the same thing you guys did when koa misi was drafted as a 34 olb and i said i didn't think he would provide enough edge pass rush to justify a top 50 pick to be that...exact same thing...

35. ckparrothead

You're being paranoid, hoops. I can't speak for Slimm and I don't know why I ever would. The guy has flat out called me a fraud on at least three occasions. And I believe it was you who decided to take a run at me one day and started flaunting Slimm's latest round of referring to me as a fraud, from PM conversations you were having with Slimm while simultaneously arguing with me out in the forums. So why you would have this thing about thinking that I'm ganging up with Slimm to go after you and tell you that you don't know what the hell you're talking about on Michael Egnew or Koa Misi or whatever...I have no idea where that's coming from.

If I disagree with someone, I'm going to explain my opinion and why I disagree. I don't tell people they don't know what the hell they're talking about, etc. I don't offer offense to people unless they've pretty directly offered it to me.

36. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Look...I think the guy will not be a factor if ever in the NFL. However, I will be HAPPY to be proven wrong if this kid turns into a seam threat and opens up the offense.

Mixed martial arts is a great way to get tougher and more disciplined. Looks like Egnew understood he had to get bigger and tougher to be able to compete. Good for him.

37. Digital

Digital Starter

As I say every year ... it doesn't really mean anything until the pads go on and the hitting starts. But, at least we're seeing encouraging signs that point to the athletic ability he had when we drafted him still being there.

We are a team desperate for a size mismatch in the red zone and always looking for seam threats and receivers underneath. While I'd definitely like a true 2-way TE; I will be very happy if Egnew can develop into an asset as a receiving threat.

38. FinaticalOne

FinaticalOne DieHard FinFan 4 Life

I'm skeptical but this is good news. I'll reserve my judgment until the pads come on. If he continues to develop that's great news.

39. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

I was disappointed in Egnew in his rookie year (as we all were). But to read Philibin's endorsement is encouraging because I don't think Philbin is a bull****ter. I take him as a no-nonsense guy who isn't going to sugar coat anything just for the sake boosting a guy's confidence.

40. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

That's what I was inferring but I probably shouldn't have, knowing for instance that CK posts on multiple forums (ie, could be referring to a lot of people). Most of all, though, it just couldn't lead anywhere good to say it. The argument that came out of that aspect of my post was predictable in retrospect and I regret it.

Based on his subsequent posts I don't think CK meant his original post the way it came off -- at least to me -- which was that any strongly negative view of Egnew is being based on Hard Knocks and the fact that he didn't play. Those are certainly both data points, the latter being far more significant, at least to me, though not unexpected... but I don't think there are too many people basing their entire opinions on that. Anyone who posts on a Dolphins forum is likely to have read articles where it's been reported Egnew was a dud in the locker room, sulking and generally not respected by anyone. IMO -- regardless of what you thought of Egnew as a prospect -- if you were building sort of a criminal profile of what a draft bust looks like, then Egnew has already checked off a number of those boxes. Not all, but enough for it to be a perfectly natural inference. It's certainly quite a bit harder to have rational reasons to believe in him, at this point.