Eugene to Miami in the 2014 Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Eugene to Miami in the 2014 Draft

You gotta give the rest of us a chance to catch up. We typically don't know anything about prospects until a) We either really suck during the season or b) The season is completely over.

As far as tight ends go, I'm really high on Austin Seferain-Jenkins of Washington and Randall Telfer of USC, but you can't watch Lyerla and not like him. Seferain-Jenkins and Telfer are more athletic, but Lyerla is just nasty. When I watch Lyerla I think of Csonka as a tight end.

Lyerla will be a receiving machine, but he's a bit of a prima donna. Huff will be a great get for someone, very sneaky with wheels. But the Duck I'd want is D'Anthony Thomas. That's your slot guy.

Lyerla for sure has a unique skill set and I see a combination of Gronk and Graham...

depending on what happens with Keller, if he comes back fully from the injury, Miami will most likely resign him. Also will depend on Simms and his development in his first year.

You gotta give the rest of us a chance to catch up. We typically don't know anything about prospects until a) We either really suck during the season or b) The season is completely over.

This why you are in the NFL DRAFT FORUM....the 2013 draft is OVER....so no it is not too early to start looking at 2014. :brewskis:

As far as tight ends go, I'm really high on Austin Seferain-Jenkins of Washington and Randall Telfer of USC, but you can't watch Lyerla and not like him. Seferain-Jenkins and Telfer are more athletic, but Lyerla is just nasty. When I watch Lyerla I think of Csonka as a tight end.

Sefarian Jenkins is my #1 guy right now. His size/athleticism is unbelievable.

He's #1 with King County Police too.

That and the coaching staff isn't thrilled with his work ethic or practice habits. Extremely talented kid though. Would easily be the top underclassman TE prospect on my board heading into the season if not for his liabilities off the field, among other things.

Lyerla will be a receiving machine, but he's a bit of a prima donna. Huff will be a great get for someone, very sneaky with wheels. But the Duck I'd want is D'Anthony Thomas. That's your slot guy.

If you want Thomas you're gonna have to grab him early. 2014 is looking like a horrendous draft for offensive playmakers. The wide receiver class after underclassmen Marqise Lee, Sammy Watkins, & maybe Brandon Coleman is reminiscent of 2008 when Donnie Avery was the first receiver taken & only DeSean Jackson, Jordy Nelson, & Mario Manningham are capable starters.

If you want Thomas you're gonna have to grab him early. 2014 is looking like a horrendous draft for offensive playmakers. The wide receiver class after underclassmen Marqise Lee, Sammy Watkins, & maybe Brandon Coleman is reminiscent of 2008 when Donnie Avery was the first receiver taken & only DeSean Jackson, Jordy Nelson, & Mario Manningham are capable starters.

You can't say "besides Maqise Lee and Sammie Warkins". Those two guys are top 10 talents if not top 5. The year Avery went first the WR landscape was barren.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if I agree with that. Cody Hoffman looks pretty good to me. There are some interesting prospects.

And if we're talking just "play makers" then TE Eric Ebron is a guy I've had my eye on for a little bit.

Here's something I wrote about him a week ago, elsewhere:

Tight End (Pass Catcher) - Eric Ebron, North Carolina

A year from now if the Dolphins flush Michael Egnew down the drain and allow Dustin Keller to walk as a free agent (which would not surprise me) the team could find itself in need of a primary pass catching tight end. A guy that I really, really like for that job potentially would be Eric Ebron of North Carolina. Had a really good year this year with 40 catches for 625 yards and 4 TDs. Not a big guy, only 6'4" and right now listed at 245 lbs but he looked lighter than that in 2012. Watch him on tape and immediately you can tell he's got explosive movement skills for such a big man. He really moves like a wide receiver and not just a mediocre wide receiver. He moves like a GOOD wide receiver. But what makes him a tight end instead of a wide receiver is that despite his being relatively small to where he can't overwhelm you with mass or frame, is the fact that he can hit you with explosiveness on initial contact, and his feet are so good he is able to reset his feet and sustain blocks which avails him blocking out in space. That ability also can help him block effectively on the line as he's able to keep moving his feet to counter against players that are a little bigger than he is. He gets on the line and blocks there regularly at UNC. He shows awareness as a blocker as well. He definitely can end up dropping some easy passes, but he also shows the ability to make some pretty incredible catches. He's only a sophomore so he'd have to come out early, but I could imagine him doing so after already having amassed 832 yards and 5 TDs in his first two years at UNC. He was recruited as the #8 tight end prospect in the nation and the #13 all-around athlete in the nation according to SuperPrep.

Oh, and you want a bonus? He also plays both ways at times, and doesn't look half bad in the process! I mean, are you serious?!? I mean really, not bad at all, lol. Some pretty good flexibility and strength.

I was hoping to check in on his spring game footage to see if it looked like he'd gained any mass in the off season but he did not play in the spring game, I believe due to an injury.

Obviously you haven't seen much of Donte Moncrief. I'll take him over Marqise Lee right now, and that's not a knock on Marqise Lee.

Between Marquise Lee, Sammy Watkins, Cody Hoffman and Donte Moncrief, and I'm going to toss Mike Evans into this discussion as well even though he's only a redshirt sophomore and will probably choose to stay in school, just because I love his talent so much...that's a pretty good top end.

Mike Evans might be the best of all of those guys. No offense meant to any of them.

Back
Top Bottom