Ex-coach Bum Phillips dies at age 90 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ex-coach Bum Phillips dies at age 90

A sad day for the NFL and for football fans. Bum was a character.

"There's two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them that's gonna be fired."

R.I.P.

Luv Ya Blue.

I'm not a believer in having a second favorite NFL team. But, if I had to choose one it would have been the Bum Phillips coached houston oilers. I remember watching them lose to the steelers in the 1980 AFC championship. There was a controversial call in the end zone, I always thought the oilers should have won that game, but maybe I was angry at the steelers for beating us the week before. Bum was another coach that was instrumental in making the NFL what it is today. He will always be a legend and icon in my book.

bumphillipsopera-1.jpg

I0011926-1.jpg

Always hated the Oiler's after those guys stole our fight song but Bum was a character no doubt.

a few more Bum quotes

(referring to Don Shula) "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n."

(referring to Houston Oiler's quarterback Warren Moon) "That boy could throw a football through a car wash and not get it wet."

(when asked about Earl Campbell's inability to finish a 1 mile run in training camp) "When it's first and a mile, I won't give it to him"

He will be missed.

I didn't have the joy of watching Bum Phillips coach, but he's easily one of the most indentifiable coaches to ever coach the game. Probably owing to their talent on Tecmo Super Bowl, I always enjoyed the old Oilers teams, and I'm still disappointed they don't exist anymore. The Texans, with their typical red and dark blue color scheme, just don't have the same character.

I met him at the 2001 Eclipse Awards when I was doing a protection detail for someone there.

He was pretty much as old school Texas as they come. It was an honor to meet him.

I didn't have the joy of watching Bum Phillips coach, but he's easily one of the most indentifiable coaches to ever coach the game. Probably owing to their talent on Tecmo Super Bowl, I always enjoyed the old Oilers teams, and I'm still disappointed they don't exist anymore. The Texans, with their typical red and dark blue color scheme, just don't have the same character.

I was hugely disappointed with the name, logo and character of the Houston franchise. I don't understand why they didnt go "Oilers" or "Roughnecks" or something.
This era of not wanting to offend anyone is just killing me.

Back
Top Bottom