Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016

Tannchise

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
We were 1-4. The last two games against Cincy and TN, 15/25 189 1/1 and 12/18 191 0/2.
Then Jay Ajayi came to play:
1. Pitt. Ajayi runs for 200. Tannehill is 24/32 252 0 TD
2. Buffalo. Ajayi runs for 200. Tannehill is 15/25 204 1 TD
3.NYJ. Ajayi 111 and Drake KO return. Tannehill 17/28 149 1 TD
4. SD. Kiko TD. Tannehill 17/24 240 2TD
5. LA. Tannehill won game in 4th 24/34 172 2 TD 1 int
6. SF. a solid game 20/30 285 3 TD

7. Baltimore . A chance to get over the hump in a big game on the road 29/40 226 1 TD 3 INT
8. AZ. decent game 15/20 195 3 TD 1int.

Tannehill deserves chance to be on the roster in 2018. However, I stand by the stats above that he was meh. And that two rookies this year in a short period of time, Wentz and Watson, transcended anything above what Tannehill did last year or in years prior. We need to draft competition and I wouldn't be opposed to cutting him post June 1,if we had to. So please, someone explain the average stats above and how that doesn't permit us from looking at qb next year

I still think it was more of a case of the game coming together for the other pieces around Tannehill. In my mind Tannehill has been solid to very good for a while now in games where the o-line and running game are also doing their jobs effectively. Tannehill might not be the type of qb that can be surrounded by crap and still make things work/look good. There are only a handful of that type of qb. But if surround by a decent oline, run game, receivers and defense he can win a lot of games. Unlike what some people think, I've never believed Miami has been in a situation where Tannehill was hampering the team's success as much as the team was hampering his.

We were 1-4. The last two games against Cincy and TN, 15/25 189 1/1 and 12/18 191 0/2.
Then Jay Ajayi came to play:
1. Pitt. Ajayi runs for 200. Tannehill is 24/32 252 0 TD
2. Buffalo. Ajayi runs for 200. Tannehill is 15/25 204 1 TD
3.NYJ. Ajayi 111 and Drake KO return. Tannehill 17/28 149 1 TD
4. SD. Kiko TD. Tannehill 17/24 240 2TD
5. LA. Tannehill won game in 4th 24/34 172 2 TD 1 int
6. SF. a solid game 20/30 285 3 TD

7. Baltimore . A chance to get over the hump in a big game on the road 29/40 226 1 TD 3 INT
8. AZ. decent game 15/20 195 3 TD 1int.

Tannehill deserves chance to be on the roster in 2018. However, I stand by the stats above that he was meh. And that two rookies this year in a short period of time, Wentz and Watson, transcended anything above what Tannehill did last year or in years prior. We need to draft competition and I wouldn't be opposed to cutting him post June 1,if we had to. So please, someone explain the average stats above and how that doesn't permit us from looking at qb next year

Yes yes yes! 1000% agree with you! These are the same people that said Jay Cutler had a "career year" with Gase, while the numbers were definitely improved they were nothing special really at all. I think the same applies to Tannehill. I have never considered myself a Tannehill hater but I just cannot see what people are talking about when they talk about his 2016 season like it was anything better than slightly above average. It might have been better in comparison to himself but compared to a true franchise QB it was not a special season.

I still think it was more of a case of the game coming together for the other pieces around Tannehill. In my mind Tannehill has been solid to very good for a while now in games where the o-line and running game are also doing their jobs effectively. Tannehill might not be the type of qb that can be surrounded by crap and still make things work/look good. There are only a handful of that type of qb. But if surround by a decent oline, run game, receivers and defense he can win a lot of games. Unlike what some people think, I've never believed Miami has been in a situation where Tannehill was hampering the team's success as much as the team was hampering his.

Is this really what you want out of your $100 million quarterback? Again, not a Tannehill hater but I think it is important to point out.

Im not here to bash either. But when you look at the qb’s in the NFL (the good ones), I ask, why cant we get one of those and see what happens? This team has been in a mediocre status for how many years? Is there a direct correlation with the qb play? And for the record, 2018 isnt my focus. It is beyond that with sustainability

Is this really what you want out of your $100 million quarterback? Again, not a Tannehill hater but I think it is important to point out.

There are a lot of qb's making more than Tannehill, but only a few are the type that shine regardless of how the rest of the offense is playing. Most are in the same boat. Hell of course Tom Brady is an elite qb unquestioned, but even he can look human if the o-line is collapsing and they have little to no running game. if you're going have a "$100 million qb" and surround him with ineffective pieces you should expect problems with 90% of the qb's in the league. I think you can count on one hand the number of qb's in the league that you could have put on Miami's roster in previous years and realistically expected to see those team's make the playoffs. Especially considering they were in the same division with the Patriots.

There are a lot of qb's making more than Tannehill, but only a few are the type that shine regardless of how the rest of the offense is playing. Most are in the same boat. Hell of course Tom Brady is an elite qb unquestioned, but even he can look human if the o-line is collapsing and they have little to no running game. if you're going have a "$100 million qb" and surround him with ineffective pieces you should expect problems with 90% of the qb's in the league.
Id like a comparison of Brady’s line last year and this year to ours. The problem is we always have excuses for RT. We signed Wallace and Albert. Drafted James. I don’t know but how can we be so unlucky and unskilled at the line. Maybe we need to see a young qb behind the same line to determine ?

Id like a comparison of Brady’s line last year and this year to ours. The problem is we always have excuses for RT. We signed Wallace and Albert. Drafted James. I don’t know but how can we be so unlucky and unskilled at the line. Maybe we need to see a young qb behind the same line to determine ?

Again ... Brady is one of those qb's that are going to shine no matter what. However, those type of qbs are rare. We're talking about Hall-of Fame type players. As for Mike Wallace... he wasn't a success in MIami, but he had 10 td's in 2014 with Tannehill and he's had a combined total of 9 in the three seasons since he left. You and some others view it as excuses for Tannehill, I just see it as you can't expect most qb's to look great if the other pieces aren't doing their job too.

Cutler is so bad he’s making Tannehill look like a god. The only difference is next year Miami may be 8-6 with two weeks to go instead of 6-8. We have yet to see Tannehill close the season out in must win games to get in the playoffs. He’s still a ? If Miami can get to the playoffs routinely with him.

Look at the whole spectrum of Tannehill's career and not just half a season and tell me what you see.

I thought Tannehill was playing great last year up to the injury........hopefully he picks up where he left off.

Looking forward to having him back in 2018

Back
Top Bottom