Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016 | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016

yup, of course, keep making excuses for ryan. thankfully you guys are not the gm of the team, or have zero input moving forward, because ryan would be with us until he retires if that were the case, regardless of how he performed.

it would be blame the o line, blame the wrs, blame the run game, blame the defense, special teams, everything but ryan.
I don’t see how/why Tannehill has such a shield of passes for him. At least with luck he has taken bad colts teams to the playoffs. We see how bad the colts are without him. But whatever.

LOL 21-10 is no contest? Yes because the NFL has never seen a team comeback 2 scores in the 4th quarter.

Hold on let me check....nope 8-5 is not good enough for the playoffs unfortunately you have to play 16 games a season.
Well for Miami a 21-10 deficit is no contest.

LOL 21-10 is no contest? Yes because the NFL has never seen a team comeback 2 scores in the 4th quarter.

Hold on let me check....nope 8-5 is not good enough for the playoffs unfortunately you have to play 16 games a season.

Only with Tannehaters is the backup considered the equal or better QB despite the huge amount of evidence to the contrary.

ha ha this is great. did we have a playoff spot clinched once we beat the cardinals to go to 8-5? the answer is no, we needed 10 wins to make the playoffs, 8 didnt do it.

Care to explain the drop-off in this year's team? Better OL, same receivers with another year experience together, better TE, equal or better RB, QB....... hmmmmm, there is a difference there.

my two cents......I do believe that Tannehill's "successful 2016 season" under Adam Gase is a bit over hyped. His numbers were about the same and he was on pace to finish the season with around 25 TD's, similar comp %, yards, blah blah blah. What made it a successful 2016 season was that we were winning games. I think the main thing I saw from Tannehill was his ability to win games in the end like he did against the Rams. He was throwing the ball down field more and completing deep passes, that was awesome to see. I don't think he made a leap or jump in 2016 but he definitely took a step forward.

The problem with Tannehill and the reason we are so torn on him is because he is more talented and better QB than we have seen before him (post Marino). We can all agree with that. Everyone was in agreement that Chad Henne was not a starter and no one could defend John Beck, etc. Tannehill is good enough to make it to the post season with, we saw that last year. And Maybe if he didn't get hurt, that steelers playoff would have been different - although I wouldn't have betted on it. But we have seen Tannehill enough to know he isn't ever going to be a top 10 QB after a full season. We have seen in the last two decades that the teams who are consistently in the playoffs have a top tier QB.

Tannehill is good enough to be a starter in this league but Defenses and coaches are never going to lose sleep against Tannehill. But He also isn't bad enough to need to replace him. He is going to need a very good supporting cast around him to be successful. Ive heard and seen well Drew Brees and the saints went 7-9 for a couple years, but it was blindly obvious that Drew Brees was NOT the problem, he still threw for almost 5K yards and 30+ TD's, c'mon now. Same thing with Philip Rivers comparison. If Tannehill was producing like that none of us would be having this conversation.

I don’t see how/why Tannehill has such a shield of passes for him. At least with luck he has taken bad colts teams to the playoffs. We see how bad the colts are without him. But whatever.
exactly. when he was drafted in 2012, i , along with every dolphin fan wanted him to be the next great one. gave him every chance to be successful. The problem is, since he was drafted in the first round, first qb we selected in round 1 since marino, so every fan wants to hold out hope for as long as possible as to why he is the next big one , until he isnt of course, and anyone who disagrees is attacked on this site.

just because myself , and im sure several other people would like to the dolphins to show some guts and make a move for potential superstar qb because we want the dolphins to get out of this mediocrity at best year after year, does not make us any worse fans than the ones who dont.

Care to explain the drop-off in this year's team? Better OL, same receivers with another year experience together, better TE, equal or better RB, QB....... hmmmmm, there is a difference there.
yes, cutler is god awful. never said cutler was better than tannehill at this point in his career.

just because cutler stinks, does not make tannehill special. if you are asking if id rather have ryan tannehill or jay cutler, ill take ryan tannehill any day of the week. fortunately, it does not need to be either of the 2, we can draft a qb , but this team wont, so it will be tannehill, and we will prob go somewhere between 6-10 and 10-6 at best.

Only with Tannehaters is the backup considered the equal or better QB despite the huge amount of evidence to the contrary.

I don't hate Tannehill he is the best QB we've had since Marino, but he what he is average to slightly above average. I just want to do better than slightly above average. I don't think Moore is equal or better than Tannehill but I do think they are closer in talent than i'd like. I wouldn't say Tanneill is leaps and bounds better than his backup. Matt Moore is 15-15 as a starter while Tannehill is 37-40. Matt Moore played for a crap Carolina Team and the same crap dolphin team as Tannehill yet pretty identical records. We won the same amount of games before Tannehill as we do with him, so what does he add? Yes, Yes Drew Brees and his losing seasons....but something tells me the Saints wouldn't even win 7 games without Brees. Meanwhile we won 6 games without Tannehill who before last season won 6 games himself.

Seems like there needs to be a poll here along the lines of:
"Should we draft a qb in the 1st rd."
"Will we ever make a SB with Ryan"

exactly. when he was drafted in 2012, i , along with every dolphin fan wanted him to be the next great one. gave him every chance to be successful. The problem is, since he was drafted in the first round, first qb we selected in round 1 since marino, so every fan wants to hold out hope for as long as possible as to why he is the next big one , until he isnt of course, and anyone who disagrees is attacked on this site.

just because myself , and im sure several other people would like to the dolphins to show some guts and make a move for potential superstar qb because we want the dolphins to get out of this mediocrity at best year after year, does not make us any worse fans than the ones who dont.
I’m not saying replace Tannehill. But I would keep my eyes open if an upgrade becomes available. But just suggesting drafting a QB for a healthy competition pisses people off. Then you have to hear how QB is the least of Miami’s problems blah blah.

I find it funny how first you brought up defenses and I showed you what Brees and Marino did with similar defenses, than you said he's had a horrible o-line and how only Russell had made the playoffs with a bad o-line and I bring up Eli Manning which you said was an anomaly so I bring up Luck and his #31 and #25 ranked O-line. (which i see you conveniently had nothing to say about his 31st ranked o-line). Now you bring up how his division is easy like the east is so hard outside New England.

So basically every time I disprove you by showing that you can make the playoffs without a top defense (as shown by my Brees and Marino example) how you can make the playoffs with a crap O-line (11 Manning, 12-13 Luck) you just keep changing the criteria. So seeing as your just going to keep adding new factors to the equation I bid thee farewell.
Just admit that what Tannehill did last season behind a bottom 3 OL was a remarkable outlier and an optimistic precursor for what he's capable of if healthy going forward....and beyond that we can agree to disagree. And if you have such a hard on over Tannehill being our QB going forward, you can hope Gase agrees with you and if not, cash in your retirement accounts and make Ross an offer he can't refuse.

Again, as my original matrix pointed out, it's not impossible to make the play without something or other like Running game, OL, defense being in the top 10, but it's damn difficult.

I don't hate Tannehill he is the best QB we've had since Marino, but he what he is average to slightly above average. I just want to do better than slightly above average. I don't think Moore is equal or better than Tannehill but I do think they are closer in talent than i'd like. I wouldn't say Tanneill is leaps and bounds better than his backup. Matt Moore is 15-15 as a starter while Tannehill is 37-40. Matt Moore played for a crap Carolina Team and the same crap dolphin team as Tannehill yet pretty identical records. We won the same amount of games before Tannehill as we do with him, so what does he add? Yes, Yes Drew Brees and his losing seasons....but something tells me the Saints wouldn't even win 7 games without Brees. Meanwhile we won 6 games without Tannehill who before last season won 6 games himself.

6 is less than 7.

yes, cutler is god awful. never said cutler was better than tannehill at this point in his career.

just because cutler stinks, does not make tannehill special. if you are asking if id rather have ryan tannehill or jay cutler, ill take ryan tannehill any day of the week. fortunately, it does not need to be either of the 2, we can draft a qb , but this team wont, so it will be tannehill, and we will prob go somewhere between 6-10 and 10-6 at best.

Isn't also possible that the other examples you listed earlier of a QB (Wentz, Luck, Garrapalo, etc) making a difference is because the other QB sucked? At least try to be consistent in your logic.

yup, of course, keep making excuses for ryan. thankfully you guys are not the gm of the team, or have zero input moving forward, because ryan would be with us until he retires if that were the case, regardless of how he performed.

it would be blame the o line, blame the wrs, blame the run game, blame the defense, special teams, everything but ryan.
Unfortunately for you the GM and coach agrees with a lot of posters on this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom