Explanation of why Griffin had his hand removed | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Explanation of why Griffin had his hand removed

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Shaquem had surgery when he was 4. That's when doctors decided to amputate his left arm the day after his mother found him threatening to cut off his fingers with a kitchen knife. It was the only way he could think of to cope with the searing pain in his hand, the result of Amniotic Band Syndrome his mother suffered while pregnant, causing an amniotic membrane to wrap around his hand.
"It's a thin tissue you can barely see," Tangie, Griffin's mother, told the Los Angeles Times. "The doctor answered the questions and explained the options. It could be taken off with a needle [during pregnancy], but even the slightest move could have punctured [either of the twins] and it was possible one wouldn't survive. I was not going to take that chance."
Shaquem thus experienced serious pain whenever his fingers were touched or pressured. The night he tried self-surgery, he had hit his hand against the side of the bunk beds he shared with Shaquill, who is older by one minute. The day after surgery, he was playing football again, with his "bandage just dripping blood."
"I didn't care, I was going to play football regardless," he told the Times. "It was tough until I had my fingers removed, but after that I knew I was going to play again. The pain was gone. . . . It didn't hurt when the ball hit."
At the combine, he showed that he can catch passes that might come his way, too. (He had one interception last season.)
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ct-spt-one-handed-linebacker-nfl-combine-20180305-story.html

I would love to be in a position to draft this guy. And if not i hope he excels. He can literally beat you one handed. The drive it must take to make it to where he is... want that on our team!

I didn't know who he was until I watched UCF and Auburn in their bowl game this past season. Kid was all over the field making plays for UCF. He was a straight beast in that game. I'll gladly take him on the Dolphins.

i liked his inital draft stock, 5-7th a lot more haha. Wouldn't spend a third or probably a 4th on him, but i'd still do a 5th.

From what I've read his CoD is not very good, hips are not very fluid. But his heart and drive is undeniable and you can't teach that stuff

i liked his inital draft stock, 5-7th a lot more haha. Wouldn't spend a third or probably a 4th on him, but i'd still do a 5th.

From what I've read his CoD is not very good, hips are not very fluid. But his heart and drive is undeniable and you can't teach that stuff

His change of direction is just fine.

I have never watched this guy in a game. I bet tackling is rather tough when you can’t grip on to a guy with both hands but I am sure he has learned how to improvise. Love his work ethic, speed and desire. If he is there in the 4th round, he would be worth a look.

Last edited:
I have never watched this guy in a game. I bet tackling is rather tough when you can’t grip on to a guy with both hands but I am sure he has learned how to improvise. Love his work ethic, speed and desire. If he is there in the 4th round, he would be worth a look.
Here is his game against Auburn:

I’d take him in the 4th and be happy. At least he didn’t blow his hand off with fireworks !!!

I'd probably take him in the third or fourth.

I am praying we end up draftin this guy. I'd take him round 3. Having a guy like this will chnage our entire defense.

Imagine being on a defense where a guy with 1 hand is just balling out. you better get your ass on par and step your **** up.

He moved from db to lb his junior year. In 2 years at lb he had 100 solo tackles, 66 assists, 33.5 tackles for loss and 28.5 sacks. I live in SFL and had the privilege of watching every one of his games last year. He is mad impressive. Tackeling is no prob for this guy. JPP adapted real quick too. I can't wait to see him in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom