LB REUBEN FOSTER
ALABAMA

54: R2P22​
C ETHAN POCIC
LSU

98: R3P34​
EDGE TANOH KPASSAGNON
VILLANOVA
[h=1]Meet Tanoh Kpassagnon, the next small-school sensation of the NFL draft[/h]
There’s likely no prospect in Mobile with more intrigue than Kpassagnon, a defensive end who is 6’7”, 280 pounds and has arms long enough to dominate the backline of the Syracuse basketball team’s 2–3 zone. One of the enduring allures of the build-up to the NFL draft comes from the emergence of players like Kpassagnon, a small-school wonder who suddenly captures the attention of the draft community. His presence isn’t a surprise to the men who spend 12 months a year scouring the country for prospects, as all 32 teams went through Villanova to study him this year.
But if there was a moment when a darling of the scouting community went mainstream, it happened at the Senior Bowl’s official weigh-in. During the awkward annual exercise, players are trotted out shirtless and wearing tights in front of executives. Kpassagnon has just 4% body fat, and his abs appear to have abs. So when he appeared before the masses, multiple NFL personnel men reported an audible gasp amid the crowd.

Multiple scouts told Sports Illustrated that Kpassagnon projects somewhere around the third round. But the Senior Bowl on Saturday and his inevitable freaky testing numbers at the NFL Combine make Kpassagnon the quintessential candidate to rocket up draft boards. “There’s a chance he ends up being the belle of the ball,” a scout told Sports Illustrated.
Not all small-school NFL draft stories follow the same narrative. There’s the highly productive (Northern Colorado’s Vincent Jackson), the overlooked (North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz), the dropdowns (Pittsburgh-to-Delaware transfer Joe Flacco) and the ostracized (Ohio State dismissed-turned Eastern Kentucky product Noah Spence). Sometimes, though, there’s a player like Kpassagnon who just bloomed late.
When Pittsburgh hosted Villanova to open the 2016 season, Panthers coach Pat Narduzzi watched Kpassagnon block a field goal and register two tackles for loss and a quarterback hurry. He ended up convinced Kpassagnon would play in the NFL and asked Sports Illustrated a question heard frequently around Mobile: “How did [Villanova] get him?”
The answer winds through Future Business Leaders of America association and an academic recruiting power play that would make Tony Soprano blush. In June of Kpassagnon’s junior year of high school, most of his peers scattered the northeast to attend one-day college camps and draw the attention of recruiters. But Kpassagnon spent much of the month in Orlando with a few of his friends, as they’d advanced to FBLA’s finals and worked on delivering a 40-minute presentation on business ethics. “It was sick,” Kpassagnon recalls with a smile.
http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/26/tanoh-kpassagnon-nfl-draft-villanova

167: R5P22​

TE
JEREMY SPRINKLE
ARKANSAS

177: R5P32​
OT WILL HOLDEN
VANDERBILT

185: R5P40​
CB AARION PENTON
MISSOURI
Aarion Penton, Cornerback (5'10, 190, Sr.)

The first thing people will say about Penton is that he's too short to be a top draft pick in the NFL. This is a sentiment strengthened by a recent trend toward taller/longer corners and popularized by Pete Carroll and Richard Sherman of the Seattle Seahawks.

The nickel defense has become the "base" defense for the majority of NFL teams, which means teams investing in a nickel corner who is both physical against the run but athletic enough to cover in space.

Let's compare Penton's stats to players similar to him from the past NFL Drafts. I chose not to include Cyrus Jones here despite the physical similarities because he was more of a return man at Alabama.
Read more:http://www.rockmnation.com/mizzou-f...ton-2017-nfl-draft-missouri-vernon-hargreaves

207: R6P22​

DL
JEREMIAH LEDBETTER
ARKANSAS

243: R7P22
G KYLE KALIS
MICHIGAN

Kyle Kalis ~ Reconnaissance Report

Power: Impressive. Impressive Core Power. Impressive Torso Power.

Agility: Effective. Adequate Launch Velocity into'is Stance in Pass Protection and into'is Surge in the Running Game. Adequate Fluidity to Mirror or change directions. Impressive Acceleration to the Flanks and DownField.

There was one Play, early in the 2016 Game against the Wisconsin Badgers, where Kalil leaped over one'f'is fallen TeamMates...and then leaped over another!! Pretty impressive for a 300 Pounder!!

Frame: Marginal. He's got the Right Height for good Vertical Leverage, but his WingSpan looks pretty short to me, though as always I'll reserve the Right to shamelessly change my Mind if his Combine Measurements say so!!

Combat Skills: Mediocre. Kalis seems to possess a mediocre Command of Lateral Leverage, as he doesn't consistently get Square or better with his Foe. His Paw Persistence and FootWork are effective, but I have to say that his Paw Positioning is marginal, as I routinely saw'm hitting not the Frame but the Perimeter of his Opponent.

Of course a lot of his Paw Positioning Problems could because of that WingSpan of his.

Processing Speed: Marginal. Kalis's Speed & Efficacy both in Reading & Reacting to Defensive Schemes and Stunts in Pass Protection and in Locating & Approaching Targets in the Running Game leave much to be desired. There were stunning Failures in some cases: Again in the Badger Battle, there was one Running Play where 2 LineMates were blocking an Opponent, yet Kalis joined in, thus allowing a Badger to run right by'm and make the Tackle. And shortly thereafter, there was another Running Play where he ran DownField blissfully while 2 Badgers ran right by'm and converged on the Runner. This was thematic against Penn State and Illinois, too: Any time that Kalis needed to instantaneously read the Tactical LandScape and react to it, Failure was all too often the result.

Motor: Excellent. Terrific Motor. Exceptional Endurance.

Run Blocking: I'm gonna go with Competitive, but he could be awful or he could be excellent. With impressive Power and equally impressive Acceleration, he could develop into a terrific Power Scheme Team Run Blocker, excelling both at The Point of Attack and DownField...But he's got a Ton of Work to do before he gets there, both in his Combat Skills and in developing his Processing Speed and Field Vision, the latter of which are simply awful right now. However, he certainly doesn't lack for Drive, so it's entirely possible that he just hasn't connected with the right Coach, yet.

Pass Blocking: Marginal. His Fluidity to Mirror is decent enough, but his short WingSpan and mediocre Combat Skills render this Aspect of'is Game an huge Liability right now, as does his sluggish Processing Speed.

Kyle Kalis ~ Prospective Prospectus
I always hasten to clarify that when I give a guy a poor Grade on Processing Speed, I'm definitely not calling'm an Idiot. That would suck for me, because while my Diagnostic Acuity is excellent, my Processing Speed is glacial.

However, Kalis's evidently sluggish Processing Speed, if my perception is correct, will kill'm ~ and his QuarterBack!! ~ if he doesn't develop it substantially. Fortunately, I write from Experience when I note that Processing Speed can in fact be developed, as my Processing Speed in some regards is uncharacteristically phenomenal.

Despite a short WingSpan, Kyle Kalis possess enough Power and Agility to excel in the Running Game and to survive in Pass Protection, if he manages to develop his Paw Positioning and Processing Speed far beyond their current levels.

That of course is a matter of Time & Training...And it's also a matter of Drive & Intelligence ~ of FootBall Intelligence. I have little Doubt about Kalis's Drive, but lots of Doubt about his capacity to translate what he learns in the ClassRoom into Action on the Field of Battle...and that of course renders'm a classic High Beta Prospect...Or as you Earthlings like to phrase it: Good Ceiling/Bottomless Floor: He could be a Starter or he could be MacDonald's next Shift Manager!!
http://www.fanaticalyankee.com/nfl-draft-scouting-reports/kyle-kalis-scouting-report-2017-nfl-draft

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Kalis could be a decent fit at RG but I'm not as high on Kpassagnon as everyone else is here. I see him as a better fit in a 3-4 as a DE.

You are probably right that he is better suited in a 3-4. But you have to love the length and wingspan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom