FearTheBeard's Mock Draft 1.0 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

FearTheBeard's Mock Draft 1.0

FearTheBeard

FearTheBurke
Reaction score
So like many of you I figured I'd give Fanspeak a try now that I've gotten a good amount of tapework in on the top guys and all the offensive lineman, as well as seen some guys for the first time at the combine. This mock draft is assuming the moves that are in my sig happen in FA. Take a look and tell me what you think!

19. TE ERIC EBRON, UNC
At this point in the draft you can't turn down one of the top playmakers. Ebron would open up our entire offense and would be exceptional value at 19, chances are slim but a pretty average 40 time could drop him a tiny bit. This would be a dream scenario as Mosley and Martin are also still on the board. I'm still lukewarm on Mosley, trying to get a feel for him and I really like the depth at OL in the mid to late rounds so I figured Ebron would bring a new dimension to our offense in the Vernon Davis sort of mold, I think he has some potential as a blocker as well. If he's off the board I'd lean towards Mosley, but need to watch more.

50. RB CARLOS HYDE, OHIO STATE
There were some great options on the board at 50, but I couldn't pass on my top rated RB. Hyde has the perfect combination of size and speed and also offers value as a pass catcher. He could pair with Miller and form an impressive 1-2 punch. Jason Verrett was next in line, he would be a starter at nickel back from day 1 and is very physical, I believe he could man the boundary with his skillset, even at 5-9 and is a first round value in my eyes. Borland is another plug and play guy, but I think we need a WLB more and he's still likely below Easley and Brandon Thomas on my board. Easley is a first round talent on tape, but has some injury concerns, I feel like DT can be on the backburner a bit with a deep FA class. One of my personal favorites in Brandon Thomas, even at 6-3 I see a guy with the feet to man the left-side or either tackle or guard spot, he's going to see his stock rise IMO as the draft comes closer.

81. OT JOEL BITONIO, NEVADA
At this point I had to take the top rated OL on my board to start me retooling of the OL. Bitonio can step in day 1 at RT where I think he offers the most value, but also would be capable at one of the guard spots. Moncreif is a guy we've been linked to and he'd be great value here. He would bring a big body receiver into the mix. Hurst was my next highest rated OL and would be a great fit and value here, but I prefer Bitonio's flexibility. Billy Turner has immense upside and I view his best fit at tackle, Bitonio simply graded out higher and is a safer bet to start early. I loved Weston Richburg's tape, I think he'd be a perfect fit at center in our offense, great blend of mobility and power and is my top rated guard. I have a 2nd round grade on him, as I do with the other 3 guys I considered here. I doubt Bitonio's getting out of the 2nd, so a more realistic selection would be Hurst or Turner.

112. DT JUSTIN ELLIS, LOUISIANA TECH
This pick really came down to Yawin Smallwood and Caraun Reid and Ellis. I haven't watched any of them a ton but they're all solid values at this juncture. Ellis fits the Soliai mold more and if retained he could develop into his successor. Depth at LBer is needed and with more film on Smallwood I could see myself considering him. Reid is a high character guy from an Ivy league school who would definitely be in line with Philbin and Hickey's high character interests, but his strength is questionable and I wanted more of a power guy.

143. G TRAI TURNER, LSU
To be honest no one else was seriously considered at this pick and I think Turner is a serious diamond in the rough in this draft. I have a 3rd round grade on him and if he wasn't rated so low on fanspeak he would've been the pick in round 4. He played a ZBS at LSU and ran a sub 5 forty at the combine. What really jumps out in his game is his ability to plant guys in the run game, he recorded 10 pancackes in his game vs A&M and he's at the top of my list of draft targets, this guy's gonna be a stud and the sky's the limit. There was also solid value for Seantrel Henderson who is also a high upside guy, Fales could slot in as the backup and looks like a natural at QB, he looks like a solid long-term backup with starting potential, even with a marginal arm. Prince Shembo impressed me in drills at the combine and more LB depth is definitely needed.

174. RB DRI ARCHER, KENT STATE
This would be a steal this late, frankly he's not gonna make it this far but if a guy this explosive is sitting there in round 6 you run to the podium with the same 4.24 speed he displayed at the combine. He'd be a solid gadget guy who could add to an offense that's becoming more explosive. If he was off the board I'd consider Connor Shaw as a potential backup to Tannehill, I haven't watched a ton of him but he seems to have starting QB tools. Haven't watched Bodine either but depth at center would be nice, plus he benched 42 reps at the combine so the dude has serious strength.

211. OLB KEVIN PIERRE-LOUIS, BOSTON COLLEGE
Pierre-Louis popped at the combine, running a blazing 40 and looking extremely fluid in drills. Some project him to safety but after measuring in at 230 pounds he could easily stick at LB, I think he would be an upgrade over Jenkins but I need to watch more, serious athlete who I doubt makes it this far after a stellar showing at the combine. Gabe Ikard the center from Oklahoma was also a solid option here and could eventually turn into a starter at center, he's a plus athlete.

If we could combine this draft with the free agents and people retained in your sig, talk about a dream off-season. If Verrett is there at 50 you take him and move on from there. I would really like to see us draft Tre Mason but I wouldn't mind drafting Hyde. Hyde is like you said a very physical runner, but I think Mason has more drive and will eventually down the road be the better back. Now going to your first round pick Ebron, I would LOVEEEEEE if we drafted him. Adding him to this offense and pairing him up with Clay could be dangerous. Something like what New England had with Gronk/Hernandez. Great work man, enjoy reading your stuff. :up:

This is just my own personal opinion and I could totally be wrong, but I think Hyde will go lower and Turner will be gone sooner. If we're not getting Martin or Lewan with our first pick i'd most definitely want to see us take an offensive lineman in the 2nd. Moses, Richardson or James would be my guys there.

Don't like Hyde for us and Kevin Pierre-Louis showed me nothing in the games I saw of him.

Don't like Hyde for us and Kevin Pierre-Louis showed me nothing in the games I saw of him.

As I said I'm basing that 7th rounder on what I saw at the combine, still got to watch some of his tape. Even then with that athletic ability if he was there he'd be a great project. What's wrong with Hyde? I think he's exactly what this offense needs.

This is just my own personal opinion and I could totally be wrong, but I think Hyde will go lower and Turner will be gone sooner. If we're not getting Martin or Lewan with our first pick i'd most definitely want to see us take an offensive lineman in the 2nd. Moses, Richardson or James would be my guys there.

Hyde could go lower, but if he was there at 50 I'd think long and hard because ultimately he's shaping up to be a high 2nd rounder...I don't wanna an OL in the first to be honest...plenty of value in the 2-5 range...I did mention that i think Trai would go higher and that I'd take him higher. Richardson isn't a fit...guys like Brandon Thomas, Joel Bitonio, Billy Turner, James Hurst and Morgan Moses make sense. Waiting till the 3rd a guy like Richburg would be solid if one of those guys didn't fall.

As I said I'm basing that 7th rounder on what I saw at the combine, still got to watch some of his tape. Even then with that athletic ability if he was there he'd be a great project. What's wrong with Hyde? I think he's exactly what this offense needs.

Just don't see the vision and the ability to cut with Hyde. Doesn't strike me as a good fit for our offense.

I would rather take Khairi Fortt as a project. He shows more instincts and playing speed than Pierre-Louis.

Just don't see the vision and the ability to cut with Hyde. Doesn't strike me as a good fit for our offense.

I would rather take Khairi Fortt as a project. He shows more instincts and playing speed than Pierre-Louis.

Fair enough man, obviously it's hard to make solid 7th rounders when I've really only crunched the top guys, all the OL and watched them at the combine and shrine/senior. So in future the late round guys will be researched, this was just my first stab. I'll dig into Hyde a bit more, I know I love the guy but I've watched him a lot more than scouted him. Regardless I doubt he makes it to 50 anyway.

Fair enough man, obviously it's hard to make solid 7th rounders when I've really only crunched the top guys, all the OL and watched them at the combine and shrine/senior. So in future the late round guys will be researched, this was just my first stab. I'll dig into Hyde a bit more, I know I love the guy but I've watched him a lot more than scouted him. Regardless I doubt he makes it to 50 anyway.

Most of us have jobs lol. Not many people have reviewed 400 prospects and evaluated them. I mean 7th rounders are a shot in the dark anyway, sometimes you get lucky. If special teams filler is what you're looking for Pierre-Louis offers the speed and size that could make a difference. Would probably mean the end of Austin Spitler, but I don't see Pierre-Louis getting much higher than special team. He seems to be a step late getting to the ball carrier. I think Fortt just offers more upside...and he may never got higher than special teams either.

Most of us have jobs lol. Not many people have reviewed 400 prospects and evaluated them. I mean 7th rounders are a shot in the dark anyway, sometimes you get lucky. If special teams filler is what you're looking for Pierre-Louis offers the speed and size that could make a difference. Would probably mean the end of Austin Spitler, but I don't see Pierre-Louis getting much higher than special team. He seems to be a step late getting to the ball carrier. I think Fortt just offers more upside...and he may never got higher than special teams either.

Yeah very fair, I did another one because I found this one played out too easy for me, plus there's always some pretty solid RB's in the 4th round. I ran 4 at the same time and the guy had to be on the board in 3 of them to make it more challenging...I found it was a lot more accurate.

1. LB CJ Mosley, Alabama

2. DT Dominique Easley, Florida

3. OL Brandon Thomas, Clemson

4. RB Bishop Sankey, Washington

5. OT Seantrel Henderson, Miami (CHOKED...just missed out on Trai Turner)

6. TE Richard Rogers, California

7. C Gabe Ikard, Oklahoma

Yeah very fair, I did another one because I found this one played out too easy for me, plus there's always some pretty solid RB's in the 4th round. I ran 4 at the same time and the guy had to be on the board in 3 of them to make it more challenging...I found it was a lot more accurate.

1. LB CJ Mosley, Alabama

2. DT Dominique Easley, Florida

3. OL Brandon Thomas, Clemson

4. RB Bishop Sankey, Washington

5. OT Seantrel Henderson, Miami (CHOKED...just missed out on Trai Turner)

6. TE Richard Rogers, California

7. C Gabe Ikard, Oklahoma

If not injured I think Easley might have been up there with Aaron Donald...there were games where he just dominated. That Florida defense wasn't the same without him.

I still don't like Seantrel...as a fan of the U that dude might be one of the most disappointing players to come to Miami in a long time. So much athleticism...so little heart.

If not injured I think Easley might have been up there with Aaron Donald...there were games where he just dominated. That Florida defense wasn't the same without him.

I still don't like Seantrel...as a fan of the U that dude might be one of the most disappointing players to come to Miami in a long time. So much athleticism...so little heart.

Ya at that juncture I needed to take a shot on a lineman and he was head and shoulders the best option, would've much preferred Turner cause I'm super high on him. Easley's a first round talent...next to impossible to pass on him there even though I don't think come draft day that DT is gonna be a huge need.

Yeah, but there is a huge drop off in talent after the first two rounds at Offensive line. You're listing 3rd tier guys over top guys that are attainable in the 1st or 2nd round. The running back class is not deep nor is it that talented, but there is a steady value of rb throughout the mid round of the draft unlike other positions. I personally think that DT is the deepest position this year. We could get a 1st round valued defensive tackle in the 2nd or possibly 3rd round as well. I wouldn't pick up any running back before the 3rd round this year. Just no value early.

i don't see a huge drop off in talent after the first 2 rounds oline wise...i see some guys that need technique work and polish but draft looks pretty deep to me oline wise for us...scheme fit wise

that said i wouldn't wait around on the oline...miami has specific needs for the scheme and certain characteristics and those guys will be coveted

Back
Top Bottom