February Mock Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

February Mock Draft

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
My son is home sick watching Captain America. So I had a bit of time to come up with what will hopefully be a "super hero" draft.

As to free agency, I think the team needs to look at emerging young talent and not overspend. So, while I like the idea of Melvin Ingram I think he'll ultimately be too expensive. I would get a starting caliber guard and linebacker in free agency, preferably and outside linebacker who can cover.

1. Jarrad Davis LB Florida --- A thumper in the middle, who I think has the athletic ability to develop in pass coverage. Possibly could play outside linebacker if Miami gets a MLB in free agency. I've seen him mocked late first to early second, but feel he'd be a great fit for the Dolphins.

2. DeMarcus Walker DE Florida State --- This is a player who can set the edge and provide some pass rush. Daniel Jeremiah has him listed at 46 on his top 50 so it's possible he could make it to Miami's pick. Honestly, if Miami makes a trade moving up in R2 is most likely IMO.

3. Jake Butt TE Michigan --- There's a point in the draft where you gamble on injured players. In the case of Butt I think that happens in round 3. Would love to see the Dolphins take advantage of the talent at tight end in this draft and Butt is a pretty complete player. Projecting this to be a comp pick for Olivier Vernon.

5. Greg Pyke OT/OG Georgia --- A powerful run blocker who played right tackle for the Bulldogs, Pyke seems like a good fit inside at guard. If Miami signs a starter in free agency and keeps Brandon Albert, this is a developmental pick.

5. Devonte Fields OLB Louisville --- Fields needs to add strength to potentially become a full-time NFL player, but he can rush the passer and be a situational guy early on. This is a projected comp pick for losing Lamar Miller.

6. Bryan Cox Jr. DE Florida --- His dad was a star linebacker for Miami and a former 5th round pick. If his son has any of that "fire" he could emerge as a late round contributor.

7. James Conner RB Pittsburgh --- A big back at nearly 250 pounds, Conner gives Miami a power back to compete and add depth.

That's a very realistic draft

Would consider moving up for Walker if cost is reasonable.
'

I've seen a few mock drafts in here I can get on board with, your mock is another one I can get on board with.

I keep going back and forth between Davis and Reddick. Reddick probably makes more sense with his ability to rush the passer, but I do love the physicality that Davis brings. Baker is another player who I could see, although Miami may feel they are set at safety.

Did IAQ play nickel at all? Safety could be a good pick after all because we can be versatile in our scheme if we could play 3 safeties at the same time.

We traded our 6th round pick last year as well as our 3rd and 4th round picks in this draft to Minnesota for pick 88 last year, which we used to take Levonte Carroo. This means, no Jake Butt, which is too bad as I really like him. Also, with a big hole like that in our draft, trade up is going to be hard to execute. If anything, I see Miami trading down into high round 2 and then taking Walker, who I also really like.

We traded our 6th round pick last year as well as our 3rd and 4th round picks in this draft to Minnesota for pick 88 last year, which we used to take Levonte Carroo. This means, no Jake Butt, which is too bad as I really like him. Also, with a big hole like that in our draft, trade up is going to be hard to execute. If anything, I see Miami trading down into high round 2 and then taking Walker, who I also really like.

His 3rd rounder choosing Jake Butt is from Olivier Vernon's compensatory pick so it could happen.

How late do you guys see Matt Milano going?

My son is home sick watching Captain America. So I had a bit of time to come up with what will hopefully be a "super hero" draft.

As to free agency, I think the team needs to look at emerging young talent and not overspend. So, while I like the idea of Melvin Ingram I think he'll ultimately be too expensive. I would get a starting caliber guard and linebacker in free agency, preferably and outside linebacker who can cover.

1. Jarrad Davis LB Florida --- A thumper in the middle, who I think has the athletic ability to develop in pass coverage. Possibly could play outside linebacker if Miami gets a MLB in free agency. I've seen him mocked late first to early second, but feel he'd be a great fit for the Dolphins.

2. DeMarcus Walker DE Florida State --- This is a player who can set the edge and provide some pass rush. Daniel Jeremiah has him listed at 46 on his top 50 so it's possible he could make it to Miami's pick. Honestly, if Miami makes a trade moving up in R2 is most likely IMO.

3. Jake Butt TE Michigan --- There's a point in the draft where you gamble on injured players. In the case of Butt I think that happens in round 3. Would love to see the Dolphins take advantage of the talent at tight end in this draft and Butt is a pretty complete player. Projecting this to be a comp pick for Olivier Vernon.

5. Greg Pyke OT/OG Georgia --- A powerful run blocker who played right tackle for the Bulldogs, Pyke seems like a good fit inside at guard. If Miami signs a starter in free agency and keeps Brandon Albert, this is a developmental pick.

5. Devonte Fields OLB Louisville --- Fields needs to add strength to potentially become a full-time NFL player, but he can rush the passer and be a situational guy early on. This is a projected comp pick for losing Lamar Miller.

6. Bryan Cox Jr. DE Florida --- His dad was a star linebacker for Miami and a former 5th round pick. If his son has any of that "fire" he could emerge as a late round contributor.

7. James Conner RB Pittsburgh --- A big back at nearly 250 pounds, Conner gives Miami a power back to compete and add depth.

Very nicely done, not only a pretty realistic scenario, but also a draft that we really could not be too upset with.

Back
Top Bottom