Few Padded Practices | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Few Padded Practices

Digital

Starter
Club Member
Reaction score
The lion's share of attention from the most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement ("CBA") was on the money. But also reported was the cut back on padded practices. It's a very low number now ... something like 18 padded practices per regular season these days? Regardless, it's not very many. And, it's having some big impacts.

One impact is that we cannot really evaluate our own OL. Watching 320 lbs. men dance around and use hand placement exercises only gets you so far. Seeing them bench and squad isn't the same as watching them dominate in the trenches. Those precious live snaps in pads are critically important for development, and also for evaluation.

For example, we lost Ted Larsen to injury, but instead of starting Isaac Asiata, we had a competition between Anthony Steen and Jesse Davis. It was hard to tell exactly, but from what I saw in the preseason, I kinda thought Jesse Davis showed more ability as a guard. Now that Steen is injured, and we're seeing Davis perform ... he does seem to be having a better impact than Steen. But, had we been able to have 2 or 3 padded practices each week, we probably would have known that a long time ago. And who knows, we might have even given Asiata a shot if he had a chance to prove himself in pads more often.

While it is certainly better for the players health to have less contract and less padded practices ... this has definitely made it harder for coaches to evaluate and teach those trench positions. Especially the OL.

I would like to see more padded practices. Or even some sort of actual farm league where players get paid instead of the scam ncaa scheme
I don't understand why they do not have a spring league. Something similar to baseball. I think it would give these guys that are picked in the latter rounds a chance to develop. Right now if you are picked in the 6th or 7th round and you do not flash right away, you have zero chance at making a team. I firmly believe there are guys from smaller schools that can play and never get the chance.

I don't understand why they do not have a spring league. Something similar to baseball. I think it would give these guys that are picked in the latter rounds a chance to develop. Right now if you are picked in the 6th or 7th round and you do not flash right away, you have zero chance at making a team. I firmly believe there are guys from smaller schools that can play and never get the chance.
Kinda makes me wish leagues like the XFL didn't **** the bed. I still honestly believe the nfl did everything they could to shut down the XFL

I think the lack of 'hitting' in training camp also leads to more injuries in the long run. Yes, you have some guy's get hurt and lost for the season in TC with a tougher camp, but that happens anyway, just (maybe) to a lesser extent. I don't see it extending careers? The lack of padded practices during the season doesn't allow for much in the way of development for the 'red shirts' so to speak. IMHO

I think the lack of 'hitting' in training camp also leads to more injuries in the long run. Yes, you have some guy's get hurt and lost for the season in TC with a tougher camp, but that happens anyway, just (maybe) to a lesser extent. I don't see it extending careers? The lack of padded practices during the season doesn't allow for much in the way of development for the 'red shirts' so to speak. IMHO

The players talk about saving wear and tear on their bodies with less hitting during practice, but you can definitely see how it impacts play in the trenches. You also don't see a glaring positive impact on injuries. The NFL and the NFLPA need to do some hard study on injuries. Are there more catastrophic injuries in the last 10 years, or are the injuries just reported better and actually treated and not hidden?

I hate 99.9% of Tom Brady and all he stands for, but he might have hit on something in his training to make his body more flexible and pliable. I understand that you don't need as much muscle and mass to play QB, but I think the training of all positions has gone too far to build strength and speed without focus on injury prevention. Think about the number of soft tissue injuries we see on a week to week basis.

Its more the lack of snaps and practices in general rather than a lack of padded work

The new CBA has hurt the development of rookies and especially linemen massively.

The tackling in the current game is another issue for the very same reason. Just not enough reps.

Back
Top Bottom