Film study of Miami Offense

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MrEd, Feb 6, 2013.

1. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

2. mega-fin-love

mega-fin-love Just trust me Donator

3. finfanaz

finfanaz A True Fan

Good watch. I agree with Cosell, I prefer Bowe to the rest of the FA WRs as well. Can't wait for FA to start...

4. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Thanks Ed, really great to hear what Cosell, always happy to hear what he has to say... him and Jaws are the best at giving you accurate information on individual players, and with all the film Cosell probably goes through each year, he could be as close to the truth as you will get from any of the so called experts,

I have no problem with any of the big three, but agree that Wallace is a one trick pony, maybe a one trick pony that will be effective with other routes here and there, but when it's all set and done, he is a speed guy that will try to get the homerun as much each game as possible. Bowe is scary, a very big and dominant player, but I don't know if his issues in KC is going to warm himself to coach Phibin, so I think Miami will end up taking Jennings if physically he proves to be healthy.

5. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

Yea this is the icing on the cake to why I am 100% against pursuing Wallace. Makes no sense to pay Wallace $10mil when you can find his exact limited to stretch the field production in the 2nd or 3rd round with a Wheaton, Austin, or Goodwin. He said he sees Jennings and Bowe as similar with 9nlu giving Bowe the height advantage but I give Jennings the advantage because of familiarity with our system and probably the better mentor along with Bess to mentor our draft picks.

6. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

What issues did Bowe have in KC are you referring to?

7. tay0365

I meant as well as his dropped passes problem, according to some stories a while back I read, he has been a head case for a while now in KC, not just the last couple of years, not getting along with teammates, some nightlife incidents, I believe also possible pot smoking....not too sure what his deal has been, or how accurate, and if it was me, even though I think getting Jennings is the best move for the Dolphins to grow as a receiving group, and not individual receivers, I would love to have Bowe, but if it's true all the things that have been written, there is no way Phibin would want a receiver that could be another Marshall in every way.

8. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

The last time Bowe was reported to be "head case" was in 2009 when Todd Haley threatened to bench him for his lack of work ethic and coming to camp overweight. Since that time Bowe has been the consumate teammate. Here is what Matt Cassel had to say about Bowe.
    Yes Bowe has had problems with dropped passes but then again...a lot of the top receivers have problems dropping passes from time to time. I think some fans make a bigger deal out of dropped passes than they should. Mike Wallace dropped four passes in one game. Jimmy Graham led the league in dropped passes with 13. Bowe dropped 5 passes last season.

9. tay0365

I personally have no problem with Bowe, my deal is will Philbin have a problem with him? who knows, If what you write is true, Philbin meets him, and like him, maybe he comes down.....of the three, the only one that I would be only ok with, but not extremely excited about is Wallace, talented as he may be, he really does not fit the WCO as well as the other two could. I want Miami to find the right fit receiver, not the so called most talanted.

10. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

I'm not sure how you come to this conclusion. If Desean Jackson can fit the Andy Reid version of the WCO, why can't Wallace fit the Philbin/Sherman version of the WCO? Wallace spent last year in Todd Haley's short timing based offense and was still able to produce. In the long run, playing in that offfense should help him adapt to any type of offense, including Philbin/Sherman version of the WCO.

11. tay0365

West Coast offense relies on timing, precision route running, and Wallace even though did not do horribly, his bread and butter was still the deep ball. Players like Desean Jackson and Wallace can be used in a west coast offense, but you will never get from them what you will from a player of the same level that can run better timing routes, and think better on their feet. With enough work you can hammer a round peg in a square hole, but do you really want to do that, when you have a chance at square pegs.

12. FinHopeful

FinHopeful Starter

I have faith in what I heard from Cosell. I just do not believe that Mike Wallace is a player you want to build a receiving core around. I am not a fan of Bowe, but I will defer to the evaluation I just heard. I am hoping that we stay away from Wallace and that we sign either Bowe or Jennings.

13. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

I second this. Mike Wallace's skill set/occasional bomb can be had very cheap in the 2nd round in Terrence Wheaton or Tavon Austin, or in the 3rd in Markus Goodwin. No need to spend $10mil on a Mike Wallace when you can grab Jennings for less than that, be a better fit to be a go to veteran guy and a cheaper Mike Wallace in the 2nd or 3rd round. :)

14. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

Everyone is under shooting wallaces playmaking

15. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

Lucky for us many of you won't be deciding on what Wallace can and can't do in this offense. His route running is fine and at 26 is something you can absolutely teach. His playmaking ability more than makes up for average route running. Resign Hartline and you have yourself a player every bit as capable as Jennings or Bowe, and much younger/cheaper.

16. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

What you're failing to see though Houtz is that in the 2nd round we can land what Wallace would bring for pennies whereas with Wallace you eat up $10mil of cap space. You can use $8mil for Jennings and grab a TE and a CB via FA instead.

17. sm0kinfins

sm0kinfins Adults are obsolete children

Thank you Thank you Thank you. I get sick and tired of people with their “I seem to remember some issues with Bowe” reactions to him, but when pressed, they can never point to a single incident other than a benching by that lame duck of a head coach, Todd Haley.

I live in KC. I follow the Chiefs rather closely and listen to the local sports talk every day. There are absolutely no issues on or off the field with Dwayne Bowe. For whatever reason, people just assume that because his play is similar in style to Brandon Marshall’s that he must also be the cancerous head case that our former diva WR was. That’s just not the case. The guy has put up some impressive numbers over his career with a number of really bad QB’s. He’s never been anything less than professional towards them in the media, on the field or I assume in the locker room since we would have heard about it.

18. tay0365

Exactly.

19. Abhenne7

Abhenne7 Dolphins4lyfe

So since recievers like mike wallace are available so often in rounds 2 and 3 why is it that very few teams have a "mike wallace". Yea we can find speed guys like clyde gates who will suck. You dont let an oppurtunity like this pass by. The guy is a playmaker. Hes 26. He doesnt only run nine routs, thats the biggest myth you all should get out of your heads. I wouldnt sign jennings, a 30 year old reciever who hasnt been able to stay on the field the last two seasons due to injuries, over mike wallace, a 26 year old stud who is just entering his prime

20. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

Many teams "do" have a Wallace. And the Steelers realize the 2nd and 3rd rounds will have at least 3 or 4 of them. Why do you think they are letting his behind walk? ;)

21. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

Cosell makes a convincing argument, but to say you can just draft a Mike Wallace in the 2nd round is silly. Obviously it's possible, but in his first 4 years in the league Wallace has arguably been the best receiver in the game, statistically. Ted Ginn has the ability to fly by everyone too, but Ginn is no Mike Wallace. Speed is a facet of Mike Wallace's game, and the ability to blow the top off the defense is a constant threat, but IMO he's the total package...and opens up the field for everybody else.

I still think we should sign 2 of the 3 big time wide receivers..go after proven guys. I don't think drafting playmakers on offense is Ireland's strength.

22. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

There's only one Mike Wallace. Let's see this front office draft a Mike Wallace type player. When Ireland hits on a WR I will be the first one to eat crow. Don't think it's possible judging from his last four drafts.

Deep down I know we won't sign Wallace. It's just not something I think we are capable of. Probably won't even land any of the three WRs. Mediocrity is our middle name.

23. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I have a problem with any analysis of last year's O. New HC, OC, rookie QB, limited talent with some not fitting does not give any fair indication of what the team wants to do, only what they had to do. If you consider the overall talent level of last year's O, it would not be all that far fetched to compare them to an expansion team.

Think about that for a moment. Pouncey and ?'s on the OL, worst WR's in the league (according to some), Bush good half the time at RB, Fasano not doing much at TE, and a rookie QB.

Sound like an expansion team or, Have I overstated?