Fin Fans NOT Wanting Fisher

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Hayden Fox, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

The fans that do not want Fisher is it based on merit OR is it they are trying to be ahead of curve so not feel jilted if he goes to the Rams?

I like Fisher a lot. Best coach on the market IMO. He is a leader of men and will give us much needed credibility. I will feel disappointed, but not feel scorned if he choose the Rams.

Fin Fans have had a lot of disappointment in the last 20 years or so. I wonder how much of that gets involved when looking at prospective coaches?

2. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator

I dont know if its a case of not wanting Fisher, he would be huge improvement from Sparano, as of it more being a case of rather having someone else. If we wind up with Fisher i wont be disappointed. Hell, look what we've had to put up with the past decade. I think too many people see it being either black and white. They have their number one choice and by default everyone else sucks

3. GRYPHONK

GRYPHONK Pro Bowler

For me I feel he is a solid pick and a safe pick. I don't think we will regret taking him, I also don't think he is going to be leading us to the promised land anytime soon.

I don't want safe and solid. I would rather fail but take a chance then fail and be safe. Don't give me prevent defense, give me the blitz.

Some say he utilized his teams strengths. Well that is true, but what does that say when he never tried to adapt to the new age of Football? This is what Made Parcells a huge mistake. Brilliant coach and GM in the 90's.

It's a new age and a coach who simply plays to the strengths will do nothing when you have the NE Patriots/ Saints and Packers.

We need a coach who is willing to adapt, change and not stick with what he knows. Give me a coach that understands it's the 2000's.

4. Wishfishin

Wishfishin Waterboy

Solid choice but if he goes elsewhere I'm not going to get my panties in a wad. He doesn't come with any guarantees.

5. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I still think he ends up with the Rams, but I hope fans do not want him for legit on the field reasons. Some have made good arguments in that regard. However, some seem like they do not want him because they "know" he will be a Ram and do not want to feel jilted.

Be confident Fin Fans! Hope this team finds a leader of men and one that can give appropriate direction for the organization.

6. JFoxx

JFoxx Seasoned Veteran

For me (and I assume many out there), it's a tough thing question to answer. He definately is much better than Tony, but is he good enough to get us to the superbowl? From everything I read on him and base on his track record, I think he gets us to be probably a borderline playoff team every year, but I really don't think good enough to challenge for the superbowl. So yes, he'd make us better, but is that the goal or is it to find someone who can get us to the SB? Everyone else is an unknown outcome, so it's settle for a know good coach, or gamble on someone else who MIGHT be great?

7. JcFin

JcFin Well-Known Member

Not about being jilted. You kidding me, after all the crap we have been through as fans to this franchise over last few years.. I am numb to decisions made internal or external.. I want a HC that is hungry and actually wants to be here (That is not Fisher). Give an unknown a shot and see what happens (Hint: Philbin/Chud, etc..) Don't want to hear that "Look what happened when we gave an unknown a shot"... Example Sparano/Cameron.. Those guys did nothing to warrant a head coaching position at that time.. Yes...you can say the same with Philbin for sure but I gurantee you.. With him comes Flynn and I am willing to roll that dice all day long

8. metalman32060

metalman32060 Misplaced PhinFan

I agree he would be a huge improvement over Sparano, but that isn't saying much. I look at his overall body of work and say we would do better going with someone that will play football in this decade. his winning percentage is not good.Smash mouth football is not the way to win now. If you are not willing to spread the field and throw on a regular basis you will be left on the outside watching the playoffs every year. I would much rather go with someone willing to open up the offense

9. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

I wouldn't be upset with Fisher, but I've wanted Chud all along.

10. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Merit.

Jeff Fisher is a fine coach, but i dont believe he is a good fit for us. His philosophies aren't that different then what we had, his history cant be considered outstanding, grabbing him in no way guarantees we would fix our biggest weakness(quarterback), and i would not look forward to rebuilding a defense to his preference after we spent 4 years building it into a 3-4.

All in all i want someone who could coach up a quarterback and be hungry for a title. Barring that, id live with someone who has shown he can adapt to different situations.

11. dolfanduwayne63

dolfanduwayne63 Well-Known Member Donator

I don't think it's about being jilted in very many cases at all. If you read whats been posted in theses replys I think it comes down to if you believe,with his offensive philosophy, he will be able to take us to a Superbowl win or if we will look more like a contender but not be able to get it done come playoff time.

12. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

i just dont see him coming here as an improvment. mabey one game a year improvement, just isnt enough to me. but its just my opinion

13. Bonedoc7777

Bonedoc7777 Perennial All-Pro

rather have younger

14. finsfanjay13

finsfanjay13 Rookie Donator

I *badly* wanted Harbaugh last year, I don't *badly* want Fisher this year. If Fisher becomes the coach, I will accept it. Though, if he really feels that St. Louis is a better option than Miami (talent-wise, not egotistical control the front-office wise), then I probably don't want the guy.

Besides, I wouldn't mind an offensive guy that helps me to forget Cam Cameron.

15. jonanthans

jonanthans LES f**g MILES

very well said..

16. finsfanjay13

finsfanjay13 Rookie Donator

And just for a follow-up, I think we were playing it safe with the Sparano, Ireland, Parcells combo and it didn't work out too well (minus the Brady injury season). I'd like to see this team actually take a risk and bring somebody fresh in that is hungry and has something to prove. Not to mention, a switch-up is needed.

17. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

I like Fisher and I think we can compete with the AFC elite teams with him.
    The ball is in Fishers court. Our offer is substantial. If he wants to be the coach here, then I want him.
    If he is only taking the job for the money, then he can walk away I won't be disappointed.
    As I have posted many times, I think Billick is a better choice for the Fins.
    It doesn't look like that will happen though.
    As far as the best of the rest, I really don't care any more. Yawn.

18. Jeep

Jeep Premium Member Donator

To put it as simply as possible.. He is an OK coach... but nothing special... He has been given 16 years to do something fantastic with The Titans and after 256 games, he BARELY has a 500 record.. His playoff record is sub 500 and would be 2 and 5 if not for that one Superbowl appearance... that he lost...

To get into any type of bidding war with St Louis is stupid and IFFFF Fisher is the best on the market and we cant do anything better.. I would only offer him a 1, 2 or 3 year contract at best and see how it goes.. If he stumbles even in the slightest on my offer... I'm crossing him off my list and moving on to the next candidate!!

To show that we are a worthy football organization, then you must be firm in your commitment and never ever show any signs of weakness!!!

19. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I don't want someone coming here unless they are committed to building a strong team that can contend for the AFC East every year, and hopefully bring this team a SB. I also don't want someone like Saban coming here, making a lot of promises, but then using this job as a stepping stone to another job. I'd rather go with a younger coach or an unknown who really wants to be here, then a retread.

20. Mage_Phin

Mage_Phin All in for Philbin.

I hate the idea of the organization having to sell itself to a coach instead of the other way around.

21. hoops

hoops exited stage left

yeah its not quite a harbaugh thing for me which i was diehard about we got to get him last year...but fish is a damn good coach and way better a candidate than just about all these names i'm seeing being dropped here...

most the guys names i'm seeing are meant to be coordinators...fish is an nfl head coach...period...and a quality one at that

22. Phanatical

Phanatical Official Daunte Hater

I liked Fisher when he was with Tennesse and thought he was a very good coach and his teams were always prepared and played hard. I wouldn't be disappointed if he became Miami's coach. I also won't be disappointed if he doesn't because i like the guys Ross is targeting, especially Philbin. Ross was right in targeting Harbaugh last year and I really like the fact that he fired Sparano before the season was over and he has been working really fast to find and furious to find a new coach that will set things right before next year. I think we will end up with an excellent coach one way or another.

GO PHINS~!

23. vagrantprodigy

vagrantprodigy A True Fan

I legitimately don't want Fisher. I think he's a conservative average coach, and that his talents will never get us to be a great franchise.

24. dolphindan1970

dolphindan1970 Seasoned Veteran

I live in Tennessee and have had to watch the Titans and Fisher the whole time he has been there and they are boring as hell,and conservative as hell as well !! Its about as much fun as drinking cyinide if you wanna give that a try !lmao
    And preparred ? Really ? He had 6 winning seasons and continually got his *** beat by Manning and the Colts yearly !!! Boring year in and out is all I have to say,and if you like that style of play,you might wanna check out the Rams next year,cause thats where he's going,thank God !!!

25. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

1)Honestly I want an offensive coach with an attacking philosophy.
    2)I also do not like the idea of tearing apart our defense and going to a 4-3 (not that he would 100% do that, but it is probably likely)
    3)Im not all that impressed with Fishers overall body of work. Winning consistently is important

I fully believe the fans that are enamored with Fisher like him solely because there are no other coaches available. Could you honestly say you would chose Fisher over Cowher, Gruden, Dungy etc...

Dont get me wrong, if hired, I will not be completely disappointed as there is SOME hope there. I just wish there were someone better because aside from going to the superbowl once and being one of the longest tenured HC, he hasnt done alot in terms of winning seasons consistently. and I have always respected Fisher

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2012
  26. PortFin

PortFin Well-Known Member

Man I wish I was that optimistic. I hope we end up with an excellent coach, but I am by no means convinced we will

27. fishfan34

fishfan34 2008 AFC EASTERN DIVISION CHAMPIONS!

This is the way I feel about it. I want someone that makes me say, YES, nice hire, or at least, someone that makes me think the future could be exciting. I don't feel that with Fisher. I think we'll be stable and average at best. Not the worse, but not the best, kind of what we have right now. I am not against Fisher, but, he's certainly not my first choice.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...-dolphins-need-a-head-coach-with-an-aura.html

28. RayNTampa

RayNTampa Active Member

Just cant get passed the fact that Buddy Ryan B-slapped Fischer back in the day.lol

29. Phanatical

Phanatical Official Daunte Hater

Don't worry, we've got nowhere to go but up. Sparano was a great guy, terrible head coach.

30. The Tannehills Have Eyes

The Tannehills Have Eyes A True Fan

I don't understand when people say "I want a hungry coach that wants to come here and get us a SB" or wanting a young coach. Their isn't a coach in the world outside of Miami that is hungry for us not chud, belichick ect... and what does being young have to do with anything? That just means he has less experience, not a safe choice at all, I rather have fisher he is a safe pick, knows the NFL and knows it is not something you can cruise to paradise like some coach that has never proven himself, he's not even that old, not that age has anything to do with it.

31. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

I don't want Fisher simply because he is a good coach, not a great coach. Fins FO needs to get some balls and take a risk on a young hungry coach. It seems like Ross is after Fisher because he is afraid of losing, rather than thinking of championships.

32. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

i still never get this fascination with young coaches. I think franchises make many more mistakes trying to go after the youngest guys than trying to go after the best guys. i call it my throw this crap against the wall approach. i dont think any coach out there is hungrier than fisher to win a superbowl. Not saying I like him best but i think he would be much hungrier to win than overpromoting some young assistant

33. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

To clarify, I dont mean young in age. Age is irrelevant to me. I was refering to experience and tenure as head coach.