Final Pre-Combine Mock | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Final Pre-Combine Mock

ChambersWI

Going Ghost
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
With the combine closing in, I thought it was time for one final Mock before the draft positions become more evident.

1.Chris Long OLB/DE, Virginia Some people might think Jake Long is now an option, but I don't think so. Remember last year the Giants released Luke Petitgout, his back-up retired, and they did not pick up an o-lineman until I believe the 7th round. The pick is still either Chris Long or Glenn Dorsey. You can't go wrong either way, and IMO Long still gets the nod due to the Parcells connection with Al Groh.

2a.Anthony Collins OT, Kansas It is looking more and more likely that DRC will not make it to the second round (but if he is there, he should be the pick). Collins had an All-American year for the Jayhawks, and is quickly rising up the boards. I think this move allows us to move Carey back to his more natural position of RT.

2b.Brandon Flowers CB, Virginia Tech so far he's been an overlooked prospect. Great size, very physical, and has decent speed. Though to be honest, somebody like Phillip Wheeler or Shawn Crable is very tempting here.

3.Chilo Rachel OG, USC WE cut, what, 5 offensive linemen? We'll probably bring a vet or 2 in, but you still need some youth. With Mormino still an unknown, and Hadnot becoming a FA (and unless you think he's worth $30 million, I doubt he's back) it's time to look into a guard. Rachel has good size, and has played in a prostyle offense at USC. Also fairly athletic for his size.

4.Cliff Avril DE/OLB/ILB, Purdue This pick was inspired by KB's mock in VIP. Avril will definatly go to a 3-4 team (too small to be anything more than a situational pass rusher in a 4-3). But like so many Purdue DEs before him (Rosevelt Colvin,Shaun Phillips,Anthony Spencer) he is a great athlete that projects very well into a 3-4. KB also mentions that he could very easily move to ILB (like Colvin has been doing off and on with the Pats). He does have experience as a stand up OLB so it would not be an overly hard transition for Avril to make.

5.no pick

6.Darrell Strong TE, Pittsburgh seldom used TE from our old buddy Wanny. Decent size, weight, hands, and blocking ability. Could develop into something.

7.Caleb Campbell S, Army will be drafted a lot lower than he deserves due to the army, but could become a starter down the road. Also helps with ST.

Authors Note: Not the greatest mock I've ever done, but this is very rough until we figure out who is projected to go where after the combine. I think it is fairly realistic, and I think this would help our beloved Fins a lot.

nothing sexy about the draft, but probably one of the better ones up so far. i'd be really happy with it.

I really like it other than the Flowers pick, very questionable character issues that I'm sure our FO will avoid.

I don't like it, we need an offensive skill player before the sixth round, preferably WR.

With the combine closing in, I thought it was time for one final Mock before the draft positions become more evident.

1.Chris Long OLB/DE, Virginia Some people might think Jake Long is now an option, but I don't think so. Remember last year the Giants released Luke Petitgout, his back-up retired, and they did not pick up an o-lineman until I believe the 7th round. The pick is still either Chris Long or Glenn Dorsey. You can't go wrong either way, and IMO Long still gets the nod due to the Parcells connection with Al Groh.

2a.Anthony Collins OT, Kansas It is looking more and more likely that DRC will not make it to the second round (but if he is there, he should be the pick). Collins had an All-American year for the Jayhawks, and is quickly rising up the boards. I think this move allows us to move Carey back to his more natural position of RT.

2b.Brandon Flowers CB, Virginia Tech so far he's been an overlooked prospect. Great size, very physical, and has decent speed. Though to be honest, somebody like Phillip Wheeler or Shawn Crable is very tempting here.

3.Chilo Rachel OG, USC WE cut, what, 5 offensive linemen? We'll probably bring a vet or 2 in, but you still need some youth. With Mormino still an unknown, and Hadnot becoming a FA (and unless you think he's worth $30 million, I doubt he's back) it's time to look into a guard. Rachel has good size, and has played in a prostyle offense at USC. Also fairly athletic for his size.

4.Cliff Avril DE/OLB/ILB, Purdue This pick was inspired by KB's mock in VIP. Avril will definatly go to a 3-4 team (too small to be anything more than a situational pass rusher in a 4-3). But like so many Purdue DEs before him (Rosevelt Colvin,Shaun Phillips,Anthony Spencer) he is a great athlete that projects very well into a 3-4. KB also mentions that he could very easily move to ILB (like Colvin has been doing off and on with the Pats). He does have experience as a stand up OLB so it would not be an overly hard transition for Avril to make.

5.no pick

6.Darrell Strong TE, Pittsburgh seldom used TE from our old buddy Wanny. Decent size, weight, hands, and blocking ability. Could develop into something.

7.Caleb Campbell S, Army will be drafted a lot lower than he deserves due to the army, but could become a starter down the road. Also helps with ST.

Authors Note: Not the greatest mock I've ever done, but this is very rough until we figure out who is projected to go where after the combine. I think it is fairly realistic, and I think this would help our beloved Fins a lot.

Very nice mock. Flowers is a nice pick butmight be a reach at that spot. Strong I know nothing about. Can you tell me a little more about why chose him. The other picks are very solid

Nice work ChambersWI. Even if Flowers does have character issues, wasn't Parcells at the VT vs. KU Orange Bowl game? He's at least got a first hand view of Flowers. The only minor change I'd make is taking a NT prospect somewhere in the 2nd instead of Collins. Pat Sims or Ahtyba Rubin could be possibilities. But I like it overall. Good work.

Solid and realistic at this point in time. Good work, and if the cards fell that way i'd be happy knowing we have some good prospects coming out of the 08 draft.

5.no pick

campbell i ve seen as a 4-5 round projection. chilo might be a 2nd rounder too. there are some teams that need OG and he is the best

Does anybody else not see that we have ZERO run defense. And your mock does absolutely ZERO to change that.

Two offensive linemen in the first three rounds? Not gong to happen. Our Oline was actually one of the few bright spots last year...too many other spots we have to fill to spend two picks in the first three rounds IMO.

Does anybody else not see that we have ZERO run defense. And your mock does absolutely ZERO to change that.

Two offensive linemen in the first three rounds? Not gong to happen. Our Oline was actually one of the few bright spots last year...too many other spots we have to fill to spend two picks in the first three rounds IMO.

honestly, after Red Bryant, I am not overly impressed with any of the DTs (that means after Dorsey,Ellis,Simms,Moore, and Laws as well) the kid from Iowa State is a nice project, but raw. I almost had us taking Nick Hayden from Wisconsin, but decided against it.

I think two OL picks could easily happen since we cut 5 guys at that position, and Lewinski/Hadnot are FAs.

I used to play pickup football with darrell strong. That kid has a cannon arm he would throw the ball, against the wind, 60 yards in highschool. I never really got to see him play tight end in college but i know what type of an athlete he is. i wouldnt mind drafting him with a late pick.

Very nice mock. Flowers is a nice pick butmight be a reach at that spot. Strong I know nothing about. Can you tell me a little more about why chose him. The other picks are very solid

came to Pitt as nothing more than an athlete, grew into a solid frame; 6'5 265 with a 4.8 40 time. Very effective blocker, and has solid hands, but has recieved very few oppurtunities. Why did I chose him? With the players I think will be available in the 2nd I don't see us taking Carlson,Davis, or even Rucker, and I think the first pick in the 3rd is too early for Finley. I think in the 4/5 round you could see us look at Lewis,Tamme, and Keller, but again better players available (and I do think we might try to trade into the 5th if Tamme falls there). Plus I am not a huge fan of taking Cottam due to his injury history.

If we got Rachal in the third who is gonna bail out Tuna/Ireland for that heist? If this was our draft Id love it! Four startes who can all become stars.

a lot of good guards in this draft, but unless you're a complete dominator like Steve Hutchinson was, and to a lesser extent Nick Mangold, interior linemen will always fall farther than they should.

I don't like it, we need an offensive skill player before the sixth round, preferably WR.

Not that I disagree, however a skill player on offense before the 6th is important, but a solid base of non skill positions is what a rebuilding team needs first. So in years 2-3-4 when we target skill players on offense, they have the tools around them to actually succeed.

Back
Top Bottom