Final Roster Thoughts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Final Roster Thoughts

Jorser

Insider
Reaction score
With the final roster being planned this very minute, here is a look at some of the possibilities:

Roundtree beats Lowe and Banks, and Jerman is a lock because he is the only other tackle. Edwards is better suited for full time duty than Henry at this point, but obviously Henry has better long term potential and it would be difficult to see him go. If a team is willing to trade only a 6th or 7th rounder for one of the backs, I think there is more value to the Dolphins by retaining both of them in lieu of so little in trade compensation. The area I believe there will be activity that may allow both to stick (and possibly traded at a later date) is the defensive line. I believe Rob Burnett will be put on IR after the final cut down making him eligible to return after week 6. This will open the door for Grigsby or Romero to be resigned after they are initially waived. They will then sign L. Bromell and be in healthier shape than they are now and will have 3 players potentially available by mid season off of IR/PUP if needed in D. Bowens, L. Williams, and Burnett. They will carry only 8 DL due to the depth stashed on IR and the loser of the Grigsby/Romero re-signing likely being available on the practice squad. Bromell and Williams also are both swing DT/DE's and will give them the flexibilty they need in the actibe rotation. The ninth d-lineman ( Romero) was inactive all year last year anyway.

There is also the same possibility with Mark Dixon and Billy Yates. Dixon is not ready to play yet, and the coaches have talked about all of the injured players being ready to return, OTHER than Dixon and Burnett. They would keep Yates and then put Dixon on IR AFTER final cut down, making him eleigible to return after week 6. This would give them 9 OL with Dixon on IR and when he is ready to return they would have to make a move with one of the young lineman. Stalling on this would allow the dust to settle and make it be more likely to be able to slip Yates or Whitley on to the practic squad 6 weeks from now, instead of at the time when all of the teams are scanning the wires and filling up thier practice rosters initially.

Here are the 14 that will likley go today:

Gadsden
Bellamy
Newsom
Battaglia
Andrew
Provost
Thomas
Grigsby
Romero
Seaverns
Hardmon
Banks
Bell
Lowe

At least for the time being, Henry and Edwards may both make it. They may get more in a trade down the road. I hope they don't do it for a 6th or 7th round pick. Battaglia or another TE would likely be available in a pinch if Lee or McMichael were injured. How can you justify keeping the 4th TE now when we have talent that would otherwise be waived at the expense of the extra TE? We have always known it was a luxury............now it is one we can and should not afford.

I believe Rob Burnett will be put on IR after the final cut down making him eligible to return after week 6

Doesnt IR mean done for the season no matter when you are put on it. I'm pretty sure that PUP is the one that leaves u eligible to return after week 6?

I don't know about Dixon,

he's been our best OL for the last few year and I know they love Smith but as far as I'm concerned he hasn't prove anything yet. By putting Dixon on IR we wouldn't be able to use him until week 7th. What if Nails isn't fully recovered or Smith can't handle the job against first stringers for a whole match ? Or a injury happens to a starter ?

You can't put players on PUP if they got hurt during training camp. Only if the injury happened outside TC. It's not like it is in baseball where you put guys on the 15-day DL and such. In the NFL they're either on the roster or they're done for the season. Nothing else you can do.

Gadsden seems to be making this difficult. It's like he's trying to force the Phins into keeping him on the roster, Just like FFiB mentioned yesterday, this is very similar to what happened last year. It appears that he's holding the team hostage again. He and Mike Todd won't agree to an injury settlement. OG has said for weeks that he expected to be ready to practice this week (Texans week).

And now after he got the good news from the Dallas doctor that the foot is structurally sound, Todd said, "That doesn't mean he's ready to play. It could be one week or six weeks depending on how he responds to more treatment.''

Just agree to the damn settlement already. Take the money and be done with it. You can come back after Week 6 if we need you.

Anyone else think that Todd's playing hardball so his client can have his cake and eat it too?? By not agreeing to the settlement (and being cut), they can join any team at any time (including the Dolphins). But if he doesn't catch on with anybody, they can still file a grievance with the Phins.

Mike Todd
Agent Extraodinaire

I want OG on this team...I don't care how just keep him on the squad.

I used to be the same way man... but all this stuff about OG is really starting to wear on me.. we gave the man chance after chance and now he's pulling this crap yet again... I'm just fed up with him and his agent.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about O.G. Just get rid of him. He's holding us hostage again!!!! I don't give a damn how good he is, or thinks he is. He is not worth this aggravation. If they have to keep him, put him on IR so he can't play until next year.

OG has pretty much bitched, pissed and moaned his way out of good graces with me, the team and most other fans. It is time for us to move on. We have a younger BETTER version of him, I think, in Thompson. Simmons and Tolver are showing tons of promise and Chambers and McKnight can be our deep threats. There is no need or room for Gadsen anymore. Cut him outrightm deal with the grievance when it happens or place him on IR for the season. Make him swallow the bitter pill and like it as far as I am concerned. Perhaps he can wear some overalls that says whiny, unemployed, oft injured Wide Reciever, next time.

I doubt the Phins will put him on IR. They've been ready to move on since he got hurt. Obviously, they prefer to end this thing as cleanly as possible. Hence the ongoing injury settlement negotiations.

Thompson is not really Gadsen. He has a little more speed and moves. Plays a different style after he makes the catch. Kendall Newson was more like Gadsen, but he got cut.

Back
Top Bottom