Final Thoughts on the Season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PhinKev, Dec 30, 2012.

1. PhinKev

PhinKev Pro Bowler

I've been mostly lurking for the last couple of years, but I thought I'd breakdown my observations having watched every minute of every game this year.

Tannehill: He does some things really well. He has a big arm. Seam passes and the deep out are his best throws. What concerns me is that he throws a lousy over the top ball. Anything he has to drop into the receiver is just not there. Whether it is the deep ball or even a shorter pass, he just doesn't seem to have that touch. It is pretty disappointing when you watch RG3 and Russell Wilson do it so well. I suppose fairness requires us to point out the window with our receivers is never all that big, but still its been there at times and he has missed it almost every time. He does have good feet, and its only year one.

O-Line: Is an embarrassment to football. I just watched a blitzing CB bull rush our left tackle of the future and sack our QB. Let me say that again. A CB blitz, the left tackle saw the blitz and was overpowered. Nate Garner would be one of the worst RT I have every seen, but I did see Marc Columbo last year. Richie Incognito isn't so much bad as he is limited with the agility of of a turtle. John Jerry? At times I almost believe he can play, then he reminds me that he can't. I know it is not popular to criticize Pouncy. He is not bad. But, I refuse to praise him like so many here want to do. Is he solid? Yes. He is also very agile for his size, can get to the second level and makes good choices on double teams and reading the DL. But, he does get overpowered by the bigger and stronger D-tackles. He also doesn't dominate on the run block like a Dwight Stevenson. I think he is fine, but all the praise seems much to me. If he were blowing holes in the DL, I'd praise him too, but I don't see that in his play.

WR/TE: What really needs to be said here anymore. I have finally given up on Marlon Moore. He had his shot. Binns? Sigh. Hartline is ok. Bess is good in the slot. The rest I don't even want to remember. Fasano is a decent NFL TE. No real speed, and inconsistent hands, but he can block a little.

RB: I really want to like Reggie Bush and he is sure great every now and then. BUt, he's not my kind of running back. I want a guy that gets a yard or two after contact, especially with our OL. Bush does try to hit it up between the tackles, but he just doesn't move a pile. I was reminded that small backs can do that when we were again embarrassed by CJ Spiller. But, Reggie Bush is just not that guy. With that said, I wouldn't really complain to see him back. For all the bad press he gets, the man has been a leader and he certainly gives his all on the field. Lamar Miller has nice running instincts.

DL: They have actually been pretty good this year. You can't throw out the whole year because they were terrible in NE. Not great pass rushers except for Wake. Starks was surprisingly quiet this year. Odrick had moments, but not enough of them. I like Solia. Vernon showed some things. Loved the play with him running down Spiller all the way down field. That's a competitor. We could use a few more of them.

LB: Dansby was actually pretty good, as was Burnett. Both are good linebackers. The problem is we could use a great one. A guy that makes games changing plays. Neither really does that, but both are good players. Misi? Not much from him.

DBs: Actually held up better than I thought they would. Smith was the real disappointment. This was his year to prove he is a number 1. He is not. If someone offers him number 1 money he should take it and thank his lucky stars. Carrol was far better than I expected. Some good young players here. I thought Patterson was actually not bad in the brief tryout he had with us. WIsh as a group though they could intercept a pass or two. Jones got a lot of praise, and I think he deserved it. Had an excellent year.

ST: Mediocre. Except for the Jets game, the special times were not where they should be. Fields is an excellent punter. Might even be one of our best players.

Coaching: Every fan hates the play calling of their team, but I think Sherman is remarkably unimaginative. Watching New England and how they move the receivers around to create mismatches is depressing when you see how static we tend to be. We have Reggie Bush a great broken field runner, how many screen passes do you remember? I was curious how Philbin would prepare the team in a meaningless game. I wanted to see if he could motivate the team and get them playing good football to end the season. That was not a good sign. The team checked out pretty soon after kickoff. No fire. No pride. No self respect. That's sad.

GM: We spent 3 first rounders on the OL in recent memory (Carey, Long, Pouncy) and the OL is a mess of significant proportions. The offense lacks punch, the defense has almost no play makers. Not good.

So another season in the books. I'm not angry. I'm tired. I'm tired of waiting for this franchise to get its act together. Not only were we not a good team. We were not a fun team to watch. It is ugly football and losing football and its been that way for a while now. I'm getting tired of watching it.

Thumper1016 likes this.
  2. Thumper1016

Thumper1016 A True Fan

Great write up. Very well thought out post.

3. win

win Rookie

Agree

4. jlfin

jlfin old pro

We have an average team (7 wins). Nothing more, nothing less. This was a poor game to grade the team on. I too expected a better effort today, but was disappointed. I honestly thought this young team would throw caution to the wind and play loose and aggressive. The entire offense player poorly except for RT so its really hard to judge based on one game.
    With the 0 degree wind chill, I think they just wanted to pack up and get back to So. Fla.

5. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

New Englands OC (forgot his name) is damn good. You can tell they looked at the tape of the last Fins game and solved every problem. I think Sheman may be past his prime. Falcons brought in new blood (yes they have talent too) and they are thriving. We need a young man with an imagination.

6. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Good thoughts. I especially appreciated the summary of the offense. Post more often.

7. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

You summed it up beautifully.

8. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Can't disagree much with the OP. Nice post.

I know Martin had some issues at LT today, but I do have hope for him, with an offseason in the weight room.

I don't think we fix this thing in one offseason. Too much to do. Need another pass rusher, corner, FS, OG, WR1, WR2, TE, and a couple of LB. When you squander so many high picks, this is what happens.

9. z926538

z926538 Rookie

Amen. You nit the nail right on the head. Not only is it losing football, it is boring losing football. Is there no one in this front office who sees this and can fix this? Mr. Ross? Mr. Ross?

10. iambanned

iambanned A True Fan

Is there a worse team in the whole league at running screen passes? Do we ever do any of the great variety of options well? Not only that, but every time we try, the D sniffs it out. Either we tip it off or we just have amazingly bad timing or luck. The Patriots run 20 different screens a game and every time we see it we're shocked like it's the first one ever run in the history of football. Our offense is 180 degrees the other way.
    Here's another disconcerting thing about Sherman. If his offense was designed to help Tannehill adjust to the NFL, then who did that really help? Does that mean that RT only understands 75% of what other starting rookie QBs know? The offense made 'vanilla' look like rainbow sherbet, and we rarely fooled a defense, especially as the games wore on. But we had this maddening arrogance in saying "just because you know what we're running doesn't mean you can stop it". Well, they could and they did, most of the time.

I guess if we can improve personnel then that alone should be worth 3 more wins and a playoff berth. That still seems useless if our 'brain trust' is so outgunned vs the elite teams.
    The Ravens fired Cam Cameron, and he, in that job, seemed WAY more competent than anyone we've had at the position in many years.
    Has Sherman fallen behind, or was the team just so bereft of talent?
    Can we ever really evaluate the talent if the planning sucks that bad? Or is it 'vice-versus'?

11. SR 7

SR 7 A True Fan

So you are telling me we have holes all over and still see progress in Ross eyes?

Martin has to be the weakest softest ***** I have ever seen. Since week 1 i have seen nothing but his fat ****ing *** on grass off a bull rush from players weighing 200 lbs to players weighing 290 lbs.

12. Dick Pepperwood

Dick Pepperwood A True Fan

Right On Dude. Great Post. We are not a Fun Team to Watch. Tired of waiting Too...

13. pags77

pags77 Scout Team

Season would have tasted a little better with a win today and making it to 500. It is painfully obvious we need playmakers to go along with the solid play of guys like Dansby and Pouncey. Problem is we have had a problem identifying these guys in both the draft and FA. Our best players are undrafted FA or from the Canadien league. This is the offseason to do it otherwise we will all be feeling a little more tired next year.

14. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

I'm tired of the mediocrity. I don't like blind faith; I want results now.

15. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

prize-worthy post bro. what would make Ross believe that he's got a guy in place that can field a team anything like what he saw on that turf in Foxboro Sunday, sometime in the next year, or even the next 2-3yrs… cause if the answer is no, then Ireland can't stay.

16. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy Scout Team Finheaven VIP

the ONLY reason i want to keep sherman is too help with tannes growth, really wish he was just a qb coach. maybe we can bring in a new OC, and give sherman the assistant head coach that way he doesnt lose his pride but we take away his play calling and he continue to develop tanne. he's worlds different from start of season. think his prob today was he was trying to throw touch passes in the horrible weather were as maybe a little bit more zip could've found him some success, zip = less wind play

17. slickrickpuppy

slickrickpuppy Well-Known Member

you think if fins had mike wallace today..you think he would have made a diffrence? the pats will always win the afc east as long as brady and belicheat are there..who ever the fins get it won't matter guys..i hope welker leaves cause the fins have no clue how to cover him..

18. Dmarino110

Dmarino110 Starter

Is this Ireland?

Average would be 70%...this team is less than 50%...in school where I went to that is failing...in the NFL it is at least below average...

not the way we played yesterday but you win this game by scoring touchdowns...if tannehill had more weapons the argument is he could score more TDs. A corner-back does not help Tannehill score TDs...

I would rather see us get a few good offensive weapons and score 35+ (obviously an exaggeration) a game and lose for another season because it means we have finally fixed the one side that hasnt been productive since petey missed the FG and the chargers went to the superbowl...

I hate the pats but man it must be fun to watch them play and score all those points...more fun then when your team struggles to put up 21 points for the last 10+ years...

19. Scotty P

Scotty P Well-Known Member Donator

I have to honestly agree with you regarding Sherman. The jury is still out on his play calling. No creativity with Bush.....someone who can be electryfying at times. And we could definitely use some playmakers on D.

20. PhinKev

PhinKev Pro Bowler

You know the funny thing. I used to be so irritated by the fact we could not play defense in many of Marino's years, and we would lose these close shootout games based on who had the ball last. It used to drive me crazy. Now, I wish for those days. Football is so much more fun to watch when your team can light it up. Even if we lose, Marino and company made the game a real thrill. I can't take watching this prehistoric offense we have now. The Dolphins went from the powerhouse passing team to . . . whatever you want to call it now. Remember those Jets/Dolphins games with O'brien and Marino just blowing up the field. I was in the endzone seats when Marino hit Duper on a bomb to win one. Was fantastic.

I really miss it now.

21. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

I think Sherman should stick around. Tannehill is still a young pup and we need to have continuity for at least 1 more year. I alike the idea of eventually giving the play calling to a younger mad scientist OC and giving Sherman the title of assistant head coach. The guy has been a head coach, a GM, and a coordinator. His experience is very valuable to the team. The staff will eventually get it sorted out.
    It could even happen this season. There were a couple of head coaches fired that would make excellent OC's. The Whizzenator from Arizona would be a great get. We need a great staff to compete at the highest level.
    The all need to check their ego's at the door.

22. PhinKev

PhinKev Pro Bowler

I don't disagree, but I wonder if Sherman sees it like that at all. I get the feeling he's a man with great self-confidence.

23. SB Dreamer

SB Dreamer Well-Known Member

Lets save the team some time and small effort they put forth next season and they can just mail in the mediocre win/loss record now. I am sure the Pats have already punched the AFC title card.

Paint drying folks....it was like watching a season of paint drying.