Fins vs Bucs vs Jags. A detailed (and I mean DETAILED) comparison. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins vs Bucs vs Jags. A detailed (and I mean DETAILED) comparison.

NawlinsBucFan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I saw there was some debate about which Florida team was the best, so I decided to break each team down position by position and score them based on what each player has accomplished thus far in their careers and a realistic projection of the future. Scores will be based on production, upside and depth. Teams will receive a 1 for being the best at that position of the three, 2 for being second, 3 for being third. The team with the lowest final score can lay claim to being the best of Florida’s NFL teams (on paper, anyway).

QB:
1- Fins
2- Jags
3- Bucs
Daunte runs away with this one. Leftwich is one of my favorite guys to watch because of his toughness. Simms has all the tools to be a pro-bowl QB, but the competition here is tough.

RB:
1- Jags
2- Bucs
3- Fins
I know all the Fin fans who think Ronnie Brown is the second coming of either Jim Brown or Jesus are going to stop reading right here to tell me how I’ve lost all credibility, and hurl every insult they can think of my way. But as I said, I’m not just giving points for potential. The Bucs and Jags FAR surpass the Fins in depth at RB. There is no one who can be a legit starter behind Ronnie.

FB:
1- Bucs
2- Jags
3- Fins
The Bucs combo of Alstott/Sowell is easily the best FB tandem of the three. The Fins FBs are not as productive as the Jags’ Greg Jones alone, despite the addition of Fred Beasley AND despite listing RB Sammy Morris as a FB.

WR:
1- Fins
2- Bucs
3- Jags
The Dolphins WR Chris Chambers is the deal sealer here. In the 2-4 slots, the Fins and Bucs are very close in terms of talent, but Chambers is solidly ahead of Galloway. The Jags no longer have anyone close to Chambers and Galloway in terms of experience and production but Matt Jones could be there soon.

TE:
1- Fins
2- Bucs
3- Jags
Again, the Fins take this one fairly easily. McMichaels was either underachieving or underutilized last year, but is still the best of the bunch. The Jags top 2 TEs were out gained by Bucs rookie Alex Smith by 90 yards. Smith is also the second best blocker behind the Jags’ Kyle Brady.

OL:
1- Fins
2- Bucs
3- Jags
This is tough to measure. The Jags finished with the fewest team rushing yards (subtracting QB scrambles) and allowed the second most sacks, but nearly got every QB that played for them KILLED. By contrast, the Fins allowed the fewest sacks and hold a slight edge in rushing, as a team, on the Bucs, who allowed the most sacks by far but did the most to improve their squad.

DE:
1- Fins
2- Bucs
3- Jags
This was painful to type. Simeon Rice is a shade better than Jason Taylor (blasphemy, I know), but the Fins depth at the position with Carter, Bowens and Roth tops even the work horse Spires and star in the making, Dewayne White. The Jags are a distant third.

DT:
1- Jags
2- Fins
3- Bucs
If anyone thinks Traylor and Holliday are on par with Stroud and Henderson, you should get your head examined. Hovan is solid, but Anthony McFarlane is possibly the worst starting DT in the league.

LB:
1- Bucs
2- Jags
3- Fins
Finally, the Bucs cruise on one. The Bucs have the #1, #3 LBs on the board in Brooks, Quarles. Z Thomas gets the nod over Peterson, but Channing Crowder is a slight downgrade from Daryl Smith.

CB:
1- Bucs
2- Jags
3- Fins
Barber and Kelly remain one of the leagues best CB tandems combining for 9 picks and 28 passes defensed in 2005. After years of dominance with Madison and Surtain, CB isn’t exactly a strength for the Fins at the moment, but there is a ton of potential in Allen.

FS:
1- Fins
2- Jags
3- Bucs
See? Even when I think the Bucs have the most talented player at the position (Will Allen), I have to recognize that he is the least experienced of the three. Schulters and Grant are close in talent if not in pure stats, but back-up Bell gives the Fins the edge.

SS:
1- Bucs
2- Fins
3- Jags
I know there are some who will argue this but for my money, Phillips is the most consistent of the three in coverage and run support.

K/P
1- Bucs
2- Fins
3- Jags
What? Orlindo Mare ranked below Matt Bryant? Must be some homer stuff at work here right? Well not exactly. Mare this season missed 5 FGs out of his 30 attempts, good for 83 %. Braynt missed only 4 FGs and squeaks out at 84%. Also, Bucs punter Josh Bidwell is slightly better than youngster Donnie Jones.

Coaching Staff:
1- Bucs
2- Fins
3- Jags
Sorry folks but this one begins and ends with SB 37. Capers and Mularky may be former HCs (the key word there is FORMER) but Gruden and Kiffin have rings. Gruden has coached up a #1 Offense in Oakland and has the weapons to break the top 10 this year while Kiffin has two #1 defenses as well as 10 years in the top 10. And did I mention the rings?

Final score:
Bucs- 25
Fins- 26
Jags- 33

I honestly think that a Dolphins-Buccaneers Super Bowl is VERY possible in the next two years. I know you all want to think that the Bucs suck and the Fins are the best team in the league. I know some of you think the Fins should have a 14 and the Bucs a 42, but I think they really are as close as I’ve scored them, and I will not be the least bit surprised if (when) they both make deep playoff runs.

Ok, for those who haven’t already stopped reading to rip me apart, feel free to do so now. :tongue:

pretty nice work and while I agree with a lot of it, I am suprised you didn't go all homer on it :wink:

I think the coaching vote is nto really to fair as Saban is in his second year but I will give the bucs the nod there for now. I will also disagree with the kicker part but le sigh what can you do.. Can't wait for the season to start

edit: you forgot the cheerleaders :wink:

The Fins Will Be The Best Team In Fl.............:dolphins: :cooldude:

That's actually not bad at all. I didn't think it was biased.

The only, probabaly ONE thing I'd argue is that Ronnie Brown alone would keep the Fins from 3rd in the running back department. Watch how good he is this year carrying the load. I like the Bucs' backfield a lot because of depth and Caddy.

But we should be over the Jaguars. Fred Taylor is very good, but he's very injury prone.

I'd rank that one (because of depth at the RB and FB spots)

1. Bucs
2. Fins
3. Jags

I like it, and agree for the most part. I do think with Greg Jones, he's a great young FB. However, I think with Beasley and Morris, we have more quality at the FB position. So I would put us in FB ahead of the Jags.

DolphinDevil28 said:
That's actually not bad at all. I didn't think it was biased.

The only, probabaly ONE thing I'd argue is that Ronnie Brown alone would keep the Fins from 3rd in the running back department. Watch how good he is this year carrying the load. I like the Bucs' backfield a lot because of depth and Caddy.

But we should be over the Jaguars. Fred Taylor is very good, but he's very injury prone.

I'd rank that one (because of depth at the RB and FB spots)

1. Bucs
2. Fins
3. Jags

I get you there. I like Pearson and Toefield (and Drew) as back ups better than Minor and Morris, but I understand the arguement of Ronnie rating higher than Taylor. It could go either way.

One other thing, Nawlins.

We don't have Lance Schulters anymore. But our ranking wouldn't change anyway because of Jason Allen. He'll be just as good if not better in his rookie year.

I guess I can agree on most of that. I think both teams have a race on their hands. The Bucs with Carolina and the Dolphins with New England. But, I think both teams have a very good chance of going deep into the playoff's this season. I somehow feel a let down or drop off with the Jags this season. Call it a gut feeling, but it's there. Could they be a wild card, sure, but, I don't see them closing the gap on Indianapolis.

Nice effort.

However, it's a bit simplistic in that you're treating all positions equally. A team can get just as many "points" for having a better QB as having a better TE. Surely some positions should be weighted differently than others.

That said, threads like this one should be encouraged and I enjoyed reading it.

Very nice "football" not homer comparison I agree with ALL of it....I do think a few of the Dolphin ranks will come up After the year is done tho.

Mindwarp said:
you forgot the cheerleaders :wink:

Tough one there.
clear.gif
clear.gif

uhhh...... Toss up.:D

nice job, it was overall a good analysts but i would have to disagree with RB, FB, and K/P..not much but i just believe that Ronnie Brown is going to completely own this year and i know you said its not based on potential but at their respective points at their careers, but i believe that ronnie brown showed that he is more complete that cadilliac last year even though caddy ended up with more yards, i know you may be a bit surprised but ronnie overall wasnt far off from 1000 yard rushing mark, showed his amazing breaking tackle ability, and was a good at the pass block where as i saw caddy was faster than ronnie and more of a runner but slowed down later on in the season and was overworked......also i disagreed with the FB assessment because if its suppose to be at the players respected careers i believe fred beasley has shown way more through his career than greg jones, however i still believe the bucs have the best FB because they are still the most productive out of all 3 teams........and for the K/P i would havae to go with mare ofcourse, you cant really just base it on FG missed, mare was very clutch last year and i believe he also played a huge role in the win over the chargers because it was mare that recovered the fumble on the kickoff by turner and mare in a sense lead to a change of momentum in the dolphins favor and i will always remember how crazy he went once he recovered the fumble and spiked it to the ground, great moment and i also believe donnie jones is a top 5 punter in the nfl and i believe the stats can back that up...............anyways very good analysts and post once again and thanks for not letting your homer side get over the conversation lol

You definatly have done your homework on this one, and as many others on this thread do agree with alot of it, I also agree the Dolphins and Bucs are atleast three games better this season than the Jags. Of course bieng biased I will have to say the Phins are better, but tthe Bucs arent far behind in my book. Great job on the stats, and Good Luck this season.GO PHINS!!!!!!!

I'll take a one point behind the Bucs considering we have the best QB, and our kickers are even, look at Mare's touchback % :)

Back
Top Bottom