Fins vs Bucs vs Jags. A detailed (and I mean DETAILED) comparison.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NawlinsBucFan, Jun 13, 2006.

1. NawlinsBucFan

NawlinsBucFan Well-Known Member

I saw there was some debate about which Florida team was the best, so I decided to break each team down position by position and score them based on what each player has accomplished thus far in their careers and a realistic projection of the future. Scores will be based on production, upside and depth. Teams will receive a 1 for being the best at that position of the three, 2 for being second, 3 for being third. The team with the lowest final score can lay claim to being the best of Florida’s NFL teams (on paper, anyway).

QB:
    1- Fins
    2- Jags
    3- Bucs
    Daunte runs away with this one. Leftwich is one of my favorite guys to watch because of his toughness. Simms has all the tools to be a pro-bowl QB, but the competition here is tough.

RB:
    1- Jags
    2- Bucs
    3- Fins
    I know all the Fin fans who think Ronnie Brown is the second coming of either Jim Brown or Jesus are going to stop reading right here to tell me how I’ve lost all credibility, and hurl every insult they can think of my way. But as I said, I’m not just giving points for potential. The Bucs and Jags FAR surpass the Fins in depth at RB. There is no one who can be a legit starter behind Ronnie.

FB:
    1- Bucs
    2- Jags
    3- Fins
    The Bucs combo of Alstott/Sowell is easily the best FB tandem of the three. The Fins FBs are not as productive as the Jags’ Greg Jones alone, despite the addition of Fred Beasley AND despite listing RB Sammy Morris as a FB.

WR:
    1- Fins
    2- Bucs
    3- Jags
    The Dolphins WR Chris Chambers is the deal sealer here. In the 2-4 slots, the Fins and Bucs are very close in terms of talent, but Chambers is solidly ahead of Galloway. The Jags no longer have anyone close to Chambers and Galloway in terms of experience and production but Matt Jones could be there soon.

TE:
    1- Fins
    2- Bucs
    3- Jags
    Again, the Fins take this one fairly easily. McMichaels was either underachieving or underutilized last year, but is still the best of the bunch. The Jags top 2 TEs were out gained by Bucs rookie Alex Smith by 90 yards. Smith is also the second best blocker behind the Jags’ Kyle Brady.

OL:
    1- Fins
    2- Bucs
    3- Jags
    This is tough to measure. The Jags finished with the fewest team rushing yards (subtracting QB scrambles) and allowed the second most sacks, but nearly got every QB that played for them KILLED. By contrast, the Fins allowed the fewest sacks and hold a slight edge in rushing, as a team, on the Bucs, who allowed the most sacks by far but did the most to improve their squad.

DE:
    1- Fins
    2- Bucs
    3- Jags
    This was painful to type. Simeon Rice is a shade better than Jason Taylor (blasphemy, I know), but the Fins depth at the position with Carter, Bowens and Roth tops even the work horse Spires and star in the making, Dewayne White. The Jags are a distant third.

DT:
    1- Jags
    2- Fins
    3- Bucs
    If anyone thinks Traylor and Holliday are on par with Stroud and Henderson, you should get your head examined. Hovan is solid, but Anthony McFarlane is possibly the worst starting DT in the league.

LB:
    1- Bucs
    2- Jags
    3- Fins
    Finally, the Bucs cruise on one. The Bucs have the #1, #3 LBs on the board in Brooks, Quarles. Z Thomas gets the nod over Peterson, but Channing Crowder is a slight downgrade from Daryl Smith.

CB:
    1- Bucs
    2- Jags
    3- Fins
    Barber and Kelly remain one of the leagues best CB tandems combining for 9 picks and 28 passes defensed in 2005. After years of dominance with Madison and Surtain, CB isn’t exactly a strength for the Fins at the moment, but there is a ton of potential in Allen.

FS:
    1- Fins
    2- Jags
    3- Bucs
    See? Even when I think the Bucs have the most talented player at the position (Will Allen), I have to recognize that he is the least experienced of the three. Schulters and Grant are close in talent if not in pure stats, but back-up Bell gives the Fins the edge.

SS:
    1- Bucs
    2- Fins
    3- Jags
    I know there are some who will argue this but for my money, Phillips is the most consistent of the three in coverage and run support.

K/P
    1- Bucs
    2- Fins
    3- Jags
    What? Orlindo Mare ranked below Matt Bryant? Must be some homer stuff at work here right? Well not exactly. Mare this season missed 5 FGs out of his 30 attempts, good for 83 %. Braynt missed only 4 FGs and squeaks out at 84%. Also, Bucs punter Josh Bidwell is slightly better than youngster Donnie Jones.

Coaching Staff:
    1- Bucs
    2- Fins
    3- Jags
    Sorry folks but this one begins and ends with SB 37. Capers and Mularky may be former HCs (the key word there is FORMER) but Gruden and Kiffin have rings. Gruden has coached up a #1 Offense in Oakland and has the weapons to break the top 10 this year while Kiffin has two #1 defenses as well as 10 years in the top 10. And did I mention the rings?

Final score:
    Bucs- 25
    Fins- 26
    Jags- 33

I honestly think that a Dolphins-Buccaneers Super Bowl is VERY possible in the next two years. I know you all want to think that the Bucs suck and the Fins are the best team in the league. I know some of you think the Fins should have a 14 and the Bucs a 42, but I think they really are as close as I’ve scored them, and I will not be the least bit surprised if (when) they both make deep playoff runs.

Ok, for those who haven’t already stopped reading to rip me apart, feel free to do so now. :tongue:

2. Mindwarp

Mindwarp Captain Caveman Hammered

pretty nice work and while I agree with a lot of it, I am suprised you didn't go all homer on it :wink:

I think the coaching vote is nto really to fair as Saban is in his second year but I will give the bucs the nod there for now. I will also disagree with the kicker part but le sigh what can you do.. Can't wait for the season to start

edit: you forgot the cheerleaders :wink:

3. TRUDOLFAN54

TRUDOLFAN54 PHINZ4LIFE!!!!

The Fins Will Be The Best Team In Fl.............:dolphins: :cooldude:

4. DolphinDevil28

DolphinDevil28 I like boobs. Finheaven VIP Donator

That's actually not bad at all. I didn't think it was biased.

The only, probabaly ONE thing I'd argue is that Ronnie Brown alone would keep the Fins from 3rd in the running back department. Watch how good he is this year carrying the load. I like the Bucs' backfield a lot because of depth and Caddy.

But we should be over the Jaguars. Fred Taylor is very good, but he's very injury prone.

I'd rank that one (because of depth at the RB and FB spots)

1. Bucs
    2. Fins
    3. Jags

5. PhinsRock

PhinsRock A True Fan

Good post, I disagree with most of it, but good job nevertheless.

In Saban We Trust!

6. Dolfan11

Dolfan11 Perennial All Pro

I like it, and agree for the most part. I do think with Greg Jones, he's a great young FB. However, I think with Beasley and Morris, we have more quality at the FB position. So I would put us in FB ahead of the Jags.

7. NawlinsBucFan

I get you there. I like Pearson and Toefield (and Drew) as back ups better than Minor and Morris, but I understand the arguement of Ronnie rating higher than Taylor. It could go either way.

8. DolphinDevil28

One other thing, Nawlins.

We don't have Lance Schulters anymore. But our ranking wouldn't change anyway because of Jason Allen. He'll be just as good if not better in his rookie year.

9. fishfan34

fishfan34 2008 AFC EASTERN DIVISION CHAMPIONS!

I guess I can agree on most of that. I think both teams have a race on their hands. The Bucs with Carolina and the Dolphins with New England. But, I think both teams have a very good chance of going deep into the playoff's this season. I somehow feel a let down or drop off with the Jags this season. Call it a gut feeling, but it's there. Could they be a wild card, sure, but, I don't see them closing the gap on Indianapolis.

10. Gardenhead

Gardenhead Pro Bowler

Nice effort.

However, it's a bit simplistic in that you're treating all positions equally. A team can get just as many "points" for having a better QB as having a better TE. Surely some positions should be weighted differently than others.

That said, threads like this one should be encouraged and I enjoyed reading it.

11. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 This is my worried look

Very nice "football" not homer comparison I agree with ALL of it....I do think a few of the Dolphin ranks will come up After the year is done tho.

12. NawlinsBucFan

Tough one there.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

uhhh...... Toss up.:D

13. miaD5499

miaD5499 Pro Bowler

nice job, it was overall a good analysts but i would have to disagree with RB, FB, and K/P..not much but i just believe that Ronnie Brown is going to completely own this year and i know you said its not based on potential but at their respective points at their careers, but i believe that ronnie brown showed that he is more complete that cadilliac last year even though caddy ended up with more yards, i know you may be a bit surprised but ronnie overall wasnt far off from 1000 yard rushing mark, showed his amazing breaking tackle ability, and was a good at the pass block where as i saw caddy was faster than ronnie and more of a runner but slowed down later on in the season and was overworked......also i disagreed with the FB assessment because if its suppose to be at the players respected careers i believe fred beasley has shown way more through his career than greg jones, however i still believe the bucs have the best FB because they are still the most productive out of all 3 teams........and for the K/P i would havae to go with mare ofcourse, you cant really just base it on FG missed, mare was very clutch last year and i believe he also played a huge role in the win over the chargers because it was mare that recovered the fumble on the kickoff by turner and mare in a sense lead to a change of momentum in the dolphins favor and i will always remember how crazy he went once he recovered the fumble and spiked it to the ground, great moment and i also believe donnie jones is a top 5 punter in the nfl and i believe the stats can back that up...............anyways very good analysts and post once again and thanks for not letting your homer side get over the conversation lol

14. Gatornation21

Gatornation21 GATORS-DOLPHINS#1

You definatly have done your homework on this one, and as many others on this thread do agree with alot of it, I also agree the Dolphins and Bucs are atleast three games better this season than the Jags. Of course bieng biased I will have to say the Phins are better, but tthe Bucs arent far behind in my book. Great job on the stats, and Good Luck this season.GO PHINS!!!!!!!

15. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 A True Fan

I'll take a one point behind the Bucs considering we have the best QB, and our kickers are even, look at Mare's touchback % :)

16. Ark139954

Ark139954 Seasoned Veteran

17. G-Force

G-Force Hall Of Famer

18. G-Force

G-Force Hall Of Famer

I agree.

19. Shula Come Back!

Shula Come Back! Formerly known as Saban in '06

I agree with most of this...and since you have your bucs 3rd by one point shows that you're not a complete homer!...plus the cheerleaders pics are great!!!

20. cltchperf

cltchperf Pro Bowler

I can't believe my eyes. This is pretty good, fair analysis, and non homer. nice breakdown

21. Shula Come Back!

Shula Come Back! Formerly known as Saban in '06

The girl on the left of that sig too!!

22. DolphinDevil28

I'll take this thread one step further. (Not thread-hijacking, Nawlins, just adding to it. :up: )

THE 2006 ALL-FLORIDA TEAM

QB: Daunte Culpepper
    RB: Ronnie Brown
    RB: Carnell Williams
    TE: Randy McMichael
    WR: Chris Chambers
    WR: Joey Galloway
    WR: Matt Jones

LT: Khalif Barnes
    LG: Jeno James
    C: Rex Hadnot
    RG: Davin Joseph
    RT: Vernon Carey

DE: Jason Taylor
    DT: Marcus Stroud
    DT: John Henderson
    DE: Simeon Rice

OLB: Derrick Brooks
    MLB: Zach Thomas
    OLB: Channing Crowder

CB: Ronde Barber
    CB: Brian Kelly
    NB: Rashean Mathis

SS: Donovan Darius
    FS: Toss up between Deon Grant and Jason Allen

K: Olindo Mare
    P: Josh Bidwell

23. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

Nice breakdown. I think you kind of exaggerated on the very detailed part, I guess I'm just used to reading CK's posts.

24. cltchperf

cltchperf Pro Bowler

That would be one hell of a team

25. Straztheman

Straztheman Banned Hammered

So Cadalac is a proven starter and Ronnie isnt?

26. NawlinsBucFan

I wasn't sure if Allen's switch to Saftey was definate or not. Either way, he certainly has the talent to make a case for himself this season.

27. FIN-IN-RI

FIN-IN-RI Banned Hammered

:chuckle: :yes:

28. FIN-IN-RI

FIN-IN-RI Banned Hammered

Good write-up bro..

The only thing I'll take issue with is RBs for reasons to be exact with what DD28 said. But to be fair, just like Miami's CS, Ronnies experience obviously hurts him but the same can be said for Caddy

29. G-Force

G-Force Hall Of Famer

Well I think both has something to prove. Caddy missed more games due to injury than Ronnie but Caddy had more yards. Neither one has carried a whole load since HS until Caddy attempted it last year until he got broke. Both need to stay healthy and I'm saying 235 pound Ronnie has a much better chance than stick man Caddy. Thats just me though.

30. cltchperf

cltchperf Pro Bowler

I don't think it was really about that, becuase that is very debateable, but he's right, because he said rb depth. This true. Jags have the rb who has done more as of now and a talented back with Fred Taylor, but they also had a good backup who did well when Taylor was injured, so great depth. T.B has Caddy, but behind him they also have Pittman. They have an overall better core and depth for rb. I like sammy morris, but Pittman is better than Morris.

31. MiamiDolfan

MiamiDolfan Well-Known Member

all i can say is florida is a very lucky state

32. NawlinsBucFan

NICE! I can't be mad at that at all.

I said there is no one who COULD BE A LEGIT STARTER BEHIND Ronnie Brown. As in, if Ronnie is unable to go at any point, there is no RW type player to replace him. Morris and Minor are not as good backups as Pearson and Toefield.

33. G-Force

G-Force Hall Of Famer

Yeah Pittman will run anyone over. He tried to run over his wifes car in Arizona with her and their kids in it. I'll take Morris over Pittman. They are equall talent but people talk about Ricky and pot smokers shouldn't be in the league and give props to someone who puts their children in danger.:shakeno:

34. burger13

burger13 FinHeaven VIP

Most of that was pretty good.........but I'll bring up some points of contention, just to keep a good thread going.

Kicker/Punter
    Miami over Tampa easily on this one.

Punter
    Bidwell was 3rd in the league in avg, but only 2.1 yards more than Jones' average. But their NET AVG were nearly identical (Jones-40.9, Bidwell-40.4) and good enough for 3rd and 4th in the league.

But, in the other 2 important stats, % inside the 20 and touchback %, Jones is better by far.

% Inside 20
    Jones - 35.2
    Bidwell - 26.7

Touchback % (lower is better)
    Jones - 8.0%
    Bidwell - 14.4% (2nd worst in the league)

Meaning, Jones has the ability to pin the opponent deep, while it doesn't appear to be Bidwell's strong point.

Kickers
    They were nearly identical as FG kickers.......84.0% to 83.3%, so either player an edge over .07% doesn't make sense.

But what's that other thing that kickers do?? Oh year, KICKOFF. Just so happens that Mare is the best in the league at this. Bryant, just average. Mare's 16 touchbacks was more than 3x more than Bryants 5.

LB
    I'd probably put the Phins over the Jags, but it's close and I may be biased......what I really disagreed with is insinuating that Shelton Quarles is better than Mike Peterson.

35. DolphinDevil28

He wasn't bringing all of that into it.

I agree, it sucks that Ricky is suspended for what he did and Pittman still gets to play, but Michael Pittman is a more talented runner than Sammy Morris.

But I really like Sammy Morris as a backup to Ronnie.

36. fishfan34

fishfan34 2008 AFC EASTERN DIVISION CHAMPIONS!

For the most part, true, HOWEVER, word out of mini-camp from FH reports and local media reports is that Morris looks as good as ever. Both in terms of his physical look and how he looked running the ball. Now, of course this is mini-camp minus the pads, but many have reported him looking better than he has in a couple of years. So while this may be true at the moment, I think a few games into the season, this could really change and Morris could be as valuable and good of a backup as Pearson and Toefield.

37. MartinTheSNAKE

MartinTheSNAKE Seasoned Veteran Donator

No way you can compare or put fred taylor above ronnie or caddy,the dude hast played a full season in like 3-4 years

cmon now

Bucs (only because they got pittman as backup and hes good)
    Fins(but i still t hink RB is better overall then caddy)
    Jags

38. HybridPHIN 23

HybridPHIN 23 the N E W Dolphilbins

For the love of god stop ignoring Sammy Morris.. this is crazy!!!

39. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Nice post...rather interesting

40. G-Force

G-Force Hall Of Famer

It's really doesn't matter anyway. Who knows Riggs or Harris may be our back-up and be more talented than either. It's all opinions anyway but I will take Sammy over Pittman anyday.