First round Lb? Does it make sense for Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First round Lb? Does it make sense for Miami

NJPHINFAN79

Active Roster
Reaction score
Lets be clear, we all know we need improvement at the LB positions. Timmonds likely cut for cap, kiko has been underwhelming to average and we didn’t get to see how McMillan would fair due to injury.

With that said Kiko is likely to be here because of contract and while he had a stint at mlb that looks to be McMillans spot thus keeping Kiko at WIL. So theoretically we need a SAM. But the problem I see, and why I’m inquiring in this post is, what prospect actually projects to SAM in a 4-3 and would that be worth it for the number 11 pick?

R. Smith seems to be a MLB or WIL and that doesn’t help us

R. Evans seems to be a MLB or WIL...

T. Edmunds I don’t know, what are your thoughts, I just know he’s a size and speed freak.

Those are the only LBs I’ve seen discussed in the top of the draft, who am I missing, what are your thoughts?

Who would fit the strong side backer later in the draft, 2/3 Rds or even later?

Why doesn't Roquan Smith help us? Seems an easy plug-and-play option. Play him at Will, move Kiko back to Mike and play McMillan at Sam limiting his exposure as he continues to recover from his knee surgery. Next year you cut Kiko, move McMillan to Mike (provided he proves he played well) and you either draft another linebacker or put Chase Allen at Sam. You have two fast, young linebackers in Smith and McMillan for years to come...and Chase Allen if you want to include him.

I was naive early on and thought Edmunds could get to us in the second. He wasn't really on the radar. I knew he would rise but not like this. Not before the combine. He's the only one I'd gamble on at 11 but this weak LB class + the phasing out of LBs overall + his meteoric rise gives me pause. Players get drafted earlier than they should when their position is thin in the draft, defenses are using more DBs so what might be a 2 down backer at 11 becomes questionable, and players that shoot up the boards like he has lose value. It's not a great combo but I'd still take him all day every day over Smith.

Edmunds or Smith, I'm good with both. We have ignored this position for years and I fully expect us to take one of these guys unless a guy like Chubb drops. We really need to upgrade our speed on D in this draft. Don't think so, just look at the final four teams in the AFC/NFC championship games.

Depends on who is one the board at 11. If these guys are off the board, I am trying like a mad man to trade down....

Tremaine Edmunds, Bradley Chubb, Minkah, Quenton Nelson, Derwin James.

I would need to see how Roquan measures up at the combine before I put him on that list. He is probably trying to gain some weight before the combine but then I would need to see how he runs at a higher weight.

Hopefully 4 QB's go before 11.

If we're going for need at 11 then yes, LB makes sense. If you want BPA then it all depends on who's there. I agree that the combine will tell us a lot about Smith and some of the others too

Ozzy rules!!

if nelson is gone and we have a chance to get smith, or edmonds you pull the trigger

you don't pass up on LB talent due to kiko

Absolutely true.

However, you do pass on LBing talent in order to help your QB first.

No LB unless ur getting an elite MLB, which I don’t see this year.

Assuming you sign just 1 FA LB, you'll already be adding 3 new LB's to the 2018 team with McMillan, Anthony and likely FA. MLB is out of the equation completely. There aren't any prospects worth the pick and with McMillan coming back and Kiko a more natural fit at MLB than anywhere else, your set there for this season.

I don't think the 11th pick will be a LB unless the grade is throw the roof on Edmunds. Maybe in a trade down, picking up an extra third. Then you can double down on OL and TE.

I'm keeping an open mind as far as possible 1st round selections because we should be contender's for some 2nd tier FA's that could change our needs. I don't see OL being solved before the draft so that's going to be on the table early and often.

Last edited:
If we pass on a LB strictly because of Kiko and his horrible contract than we deserve to lose. Seahawks didn't pass or hesitate to start Wilson even though they gave the messiah Whitehurst big money.
Not trying to be a jerk but wasn't it Matt Flynn they gave that $$ to and not Whitehurst...either way, that worked out pretty well for them

If we pass on a LB strictly because of Kiko and his horrible contract than we deserve to lose. Seahawks didn't pass or hesitate to start Wilson even though they gave the messiah Whitehurst big money.

I see the point you’re trying to make, but everybody passed on Wilson 2-3 times. Seattle didn’t draft him in the third round expecting him to come in the way he did.

I’m drafting BPA in the first, regardless of position (besides QB). If Roquon is available, he would be the pick. If not, another top 10, maybe even top 5 talent will be there, depending on how many QBs get over-drafted

Must it be a LB? No...
Should it be someone for the back 7 with some speed? Yes
I wish the top of the TE class was a little better this year

Back
Top Bottom