Five reasons to be excited about Kenyan Drake in 2017: A film breakdown | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Five reasons to be excited about Kenyan Drake in 2017: A film breakdown

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
621512418.0.jpg

http://www.thephinsider.com/2017/5/19/15661406/five-reasons-to-be-excited-about-kenyan-drake-in-2017

Kenyan Drake is brittle and lacks vision. These things are related, because when you're big and fast there's a lot of force involved when you hit things straight on rather being able to see something in time for it to be a glancing blow. He is, to me, a poor man's CJ Spiller.

These days, when we talk about a "matchup" problem, it always seems to be about TE's. A TE that is bigger and faster than the other teams LB's and/or DB's is considered a big advantage.

Well, Drake is bigger and/or faster than many defensive players. He was a productive RB in tough conference. He proved capable of catching the ball from a number of formations. He was a willing special teams player. In short he has the size, speed, and toughness/grit to be more than a "gadget player". Granted he would be best used for maybe 10-15 plays a game but a smart OC can find ways for him to be a difference maker.

I'd like to think we finally have the coaching staff to do so.

Great analysis of the positives. The only things I would add about his positives are that he presents quite a challenge to the defense on slants, which this analysis did not really explore. Also, splitting him wide, whether via motion or not, opposite side from Stills presents many defenses with a huge choice. Either they back off the run and commit two safeties high, or they play one safety high but so deep it almost negates his effectiveness as anything other than a last line of defense, or they risk getting burned deep. This is the same dilemma they face when Grant is in the game with Stills.

While putting either of those two groupings sounds like a pass play, if there is another RB on the field with either of them, then it can also be a decent run solution. Putting Drake and Ajayi in the game together sounds strange, but that isn't a bad combo really if you are using Drake as an extra WR. This game is a game of matchups, and many defenses simply don't have an answer for two guys with that kind of speed other than to play off and give one of them an easy reception.

What this article does not address are the cons of Drake. It's intentional. The article clearly states that it is providing "reasons to get excited" and it does a good job of that. But it's worth mentioning the negatives. As The Walrus stated earlier, Drake does not have a good history of staying healthy. Many speed players have this issue. So, it is often beneficial to use them on plays where they are less likely to get crunched. I think Gase has tried to limit Drake's plays to those where he doesn't let LB's and S's get a great shot on him. Most of his plays are designed to go towards a sideline push out of bounds. It makes sense, because those are also areas where his speed can be extremely useful since they are less heavily covered, so if he beats one defender he gets lots of space. But also it tends to minimize the ferocity of his tackles. Teams know this, and play him to be a typically outside running guy.

Also, his pass protection can still be improved. It's not bad really, but most young RB's need to improve their pass protection. Also, his blocking is nothing special, and he cannot play FB. Drake is strictly a tailback with flexibility as an additional receiver.

In Denver, Gase used speed to create mismatches. Demaryious Thomas, Julius Thomas ... he liked multiple speed guys on the field at the same time. By adding speed in Julius Thomas to pair with Stills, he has that in Miami. But given Thomas' history of injuries (worse than even Koa Misi), I think it's fair to say that both Kenyan Drake and Jakeem Grant will get plenty of opportunities to become a speed chess piece for Gase this year.

Kenyan Drake is brittle and lacks vision. These things are related, because when you're big and fast there's a lot of force involved when you hit things straight on rather being able to see something in time for it to be a glancing blow. He is, to me, a poor man's CJ Spiller.

I like Drake and think the brittle talk due to a broken leg and broken arm is overblown. Then again I liked CJ Spiller too and if Drake can give Miami some of the big play threat that Spiller did when he was younger I would take that. I think Drake's ceiling could be on par with Darren McFadden or DeMarco Murray, two backs with similar size, builds and speed. And yes I realize McFadden and Murray have had a few great seasons, but have also had several down years due to injuries or wear and tear.

Brittle? I don't recall him being injured at all all season.

Lacks Vision? Did you see the play where he went to one side of the field, turned and ran all the way to other side for a TD?

Imo he's an asset and deserves to be RB2 and kick returner

Brittle is a amatuer assessment, listening to someones draft evaluation that was wrong.

The Dolphins now know what they have more with Kenyan Drake - and everybody else.

Drake will get 10 to 15 touches a game and if he gets hot look out.

The guy is incredibly strong - and fast!

This could be a very special moment for this franchise. Its been SOOOO long since we've been anything but a laughing stock.

Now Gase means business so lets see what he can cook!

I think a poor-man's CJ Spiller is a good description of Drake as a RB. He brings added value on ST's. He looked much better than I anticipated as a KR. And, he's very good on coverage units.

I think Drake is a fine change-of-pace back, and he's a valuable all-around player. Would I rather have Jordan Howard? Yes. But, I'm glad Drake is on the team.

Solid write up, and in limited snaps he showed a lot of play making potential... grant does deserve a lot of credit on that kick return though. The play where he reverses direction vs Buffalo is so nice, reminds me of Barry sanders...

I'd like to see more 2 back sets with him and Ajayi. Maybe steal aoen snaps away from Williams. Although Williams is a proven threat for receiving. Drake lined up at is interesting.

If our hb backfield could be
1. Ajayi
2. Drake
3. Williams
4. -young blood to run between the tackles- (yet to be seen on roster)

I'd be damn happy. Wish we had a fullback who was a legit blocker to run some i form more effectively

Drake is a new trend of motioning RB's into receiving routes. Even Nick Saban said this before he was drafted.

What everyone here seems to have missed is that he was a college legend playing gunner on punts. He can wear that hat well if it comes down to it. I think that's actually how he broke his arm iirc.

Kid looked really good for us last season.

Him and Jakeem on kickoffs is the best it's ever been...lol, add in Landry and this franchise has never fielded such a deadly return team.

Has anyone else heard that Drake has bulked up and is in really great shape? I thought Joe Rose was saying something along those lines. Anyway, I think that is great to hear. Along with the rest of our guys he seems really focused and ready to come in and kick some a$$. Is it me, I admit I may have gotten too much sun, but I really like our team culture right now. From someone looking in from the outside, our players work ethic looks outstanding. I haven't seen them work this hard.

My biggest concern for Drake is where do we manufacture touches for him? We got a TE that needs more balls than we gave TEs in the past. We have 3 WRs we need to get the ball too, all who have shown they can be spectacular. We have a rb who rushed for 1200 yards in 11 starts, and our coach is expecting to give 20-25 carries a game, and another rb in Williams who was a very good receiver out of the backfield and scored 6tds last season. There are only so many touches available.

I would love to see how does being spread out, as he was utilized like that a lot at Bama, but we didn't try it last year. I would also love to see him alone on KR, and given a try at PR. He has great vision and breakaway speed on special teams, and I think was more promising than Grant.

The kid has great talents issue is his staying healthy and until he can accomplish that everything else is secondary

Back
Top Bottom