Fix The Offense

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BSQ, Feb 13, 2018 at 1:56 PM.

1. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

I'm assuming that Jarvis Landry is gone. Without Landry we need a lot of help.

In FA, pick up 2 or 3 players for the defense.

Now, for the offense. This of course, is Fanspeak simulation.

Draft 1) Q. Nelson 2) Chubbs RB, Ga 3) Lauletta, Kyle QB Richmond 4) Fumagali TE Wis. 5) Hearndon TE Uof M 6) Ray Ray McCloud WR Clemson 7) B Berrios WR U of M

Opening day o-line- Tunsil, Nelson, Pouncey, Davis, James some reserves:Brendel, Asiata, Larsen& Smith

QB-Ryan Tannehill backed up by Kyle Lauletta

RB-Drake, Chubb, Williams

TE-Troy Fumagali, Chris Herndon, M. Gray

Slot-B. Berrios

WR-K Stills, Parker, Caroo, Grant McCloud

On paper this fixes a lot of weaknesses. TE will now be a strength-RT will be looking for Fumagali and Herndon a lot. TE can absorb a bunch of Landry's catches. TE will move chains and score TDs.

Nelson is a one man running game. He is the powerful, nasty road grater we've needed for ages. Tunsil and Nelson could be a force for years. With a running game of Drake and Chubb going behind Nelson and Co. teams will be forced to respect the run. Then we have a natural play action offense with passes going all over the field to our many weapons. Lauletta was very impressive in the Senior Bowl and I think he stands a chance of becoming a very good NFL starter.Some of the throws he made through tiny windows were very impressive. I've seen a ton of Berrios, what a great kid. He is a Wes Welker type of slot-receiver, he also can go deep and help you with punt and kick off returns.

Ray R likes this.
  2. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Which players are we signing in FA to lead us to taking zero defensive players?

TX-FinFan and Ray R like this.
  3. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Any plan that starts with Quenton Nelson is fine by me. Laremy Tunsil needs a running mate like QN to push him. It all starts up front on both sides of the ball. I wouldn't rule out the FO falling in love with Vita Vea either.

I get that backup RB is a need, it's not 2nd round pick kind of need IMO, I also think Sony Michel is the better fit but it's irrelevant.

I like Fumagalli in the 4th, not in the 2nd like some have projected him.

We will see where Mark Andrews grades out, if he's there in the top of the 2nd round you might want to swing for the fences and get the best OG and TE combo you can with your first two picks.

Im intrigued by the Richmond kid for sure. I listened to an interview with him the other day, he seems eager to prove himself.

Our needs line up pretty well with this draft and the potential for 2 or 3 rookies to make an immediate impact is there. It's going to a lot of hard work and a little luck.

Ray R, Jay131866 and BSQ like this.
  4. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

I really think the lack of a quality TE has been hurting our team badly. How can we match up with NE when Gronk is an amazing talent and we counter with a washed up Julius Thomas? They also have the better Coach and QB. We better start closing the gap. I doubled up on TE because the need for play makers at position is so great. Fumagali and Herndon are a good a good start but I'd keep Gray as well.

Ray R and artdnj like this.
  5. biggrouper

biggrouper Scout Team

I must say I wouldn't be upset with this draft but I really want to see us addressing the defence again this year.

Ray R likes this.
  6. CedarPhin

CedarPhin King of the Winter Carnival Finheaven VIP

Can we fix the D too?

Ray R, Albert Romano and superphin like this.
  7. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

There's maybe 3 or 4 positions thats probably don't need an upgrade. Lets fix the team.

Ray R and outlawd2u like this.
  8. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

No question it's been the one constant problem for the longest amount of time. I think it's why you see so many mock drafts with miami selecting two TE's. It's not an option for us in the 1st round and possibly won't be in the 2nd round either just given how few prospects there in the top 75.

Ray R likes this.
  9. CedarPhin

CedarPhin King of the Winter Carnival Finheaven VIP

We really haven't had a seam TE since David Martin was here in 2008. Charles Clay was pretty solid, but we let him walk, and we've been scrambling on that ever since, as well, too. It'd be nice to spend a pick on that, for one. Interior OL has been a mess since about that time, too. Justin Smiley and Jake Grove were our last two decent players there it seemed like.

Re-arranging the chairs on the Titanic. It really works.

10. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Personally think the offense is more of a problem than defense. Hard to really even know what the defense is when the offense is so bad.

The average points scored in all 267 games this past year was 43.6 or 21.8 points per team.
    We scored more points than the average only 4 times.
    We held teams under the average 7 times. We started the season with 4 straight games holding opponents under average. Then with no offense the bottom dropped out.

The last 2 Super Bowl winners had to score points. Something we haven't been able to do in a long time. Offense is the way to go.

BSQ likes this.
  11. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

The draft isn't about fixing all positions - it's an impossibility. Pick the 2-3 critical needs (IMO, TE, OG), and improve the O significantly. Yeah, TRY for more, but put much less emphasis on upgrading 'meh' talent until bottom decile talent is improved. And, keep in mind, it's rare the 1st 5 picks plug holes year one. Drafting is a process.
    I see this differently. TE and OG MAY and it's a large MAY be able to be addressed in FA. No one knows yet. But that's not any more unrealistic than the OP's "In FA, pick up 2 or 3 players for the defense."

Ray R likes this.
  12. PhishyPhishy

PhishyPhishy Well-Known Member

13. multistage

multistage Well-Known Member

Problem with the D is that they live on the field.

O isn’t out there long enough to let them rest.

Ray R likes this.
  14. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

I saw the Offense put the Defense in so many bad situations last season. The worst of it is the Time Of Possession disparity that seemed to occur every week. By the 4th quarter, the quarter where we should be the strongest, especially at home, this defense was huffing and puffing and getting ready to lose the game, if it wasn't lost already. Tannehill returning will eliminate that problem, especially if we get him a stud LG and some young, fast Tight Ends who can catch the Football.

Ray R likes this.
  15. phazer

phazer Well-Known Member

I think one time we should go with a fans idea..It can't hurt. I like op's lineup

BSQ likes this.
  16. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Unknown....Rome wasn't built in a day.

Ray R likes this.
  17. BlueUndertow

BlueUndertow Well-Known Member

WITH Landry, we still need a lot of help.

AND ... No one is a one-man run game. Not the best running backs of all time and not the best linemen. It takes more than ONE person.

I get that your exaggeration has a point, but the Dolphins need a lot of points of success in the draft and free agency to turn this around.

Ray R likes this.
  18. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

LB,LB,LB,LB,LB,LB,LB,LB,LB,LB,LB,LB,LB,LB,LB,LB

Ray R likes this.
  19. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

That's a misnomer, In 2017 our offensive TOP was actually
    better than 2016...
    (2017- 49.02%
    (2016- 47.81%
    (2015- 45.62%
    (2014- 50.22%
    (2013-47.44%
    (2012-47.75%
    (2011-50.64%
    (2010-50.99% The best teams in offensive TOP are in the 53,54,and sometimes 55%

20. Stoobz

Stoobz Scout Team Finheaven VIP

Our defense sucked starting in the 1st quarter of many games.

How many 3rd and longs did they give up? Seemingly all of them?

Fresh blood is needed on *both* sides of the ball but defensive help needs to be a bigger priority.

Having said that, if the right offensive players make it to Miami's roster, the defense will certainly be helped by sustained drives and points scored at will, ha-ha.

21. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

I know that the D needs help as well but this was an exercise in fixing the O through the draft.

22. mwestberry

mwestberry FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I see your point...

Not a fan of it though...Building a fast nasty defense would go a long way in helping the turn around of this team...

If you neglect the defense it seems we would have to be in a shoot out every game to win....if you stop the other team from scoring it puts games within reach and gives your offense more opportunities IMO

23. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

I would use the 2nd for a LB or DE; Nelson in the 1st would be a solid addition to the line; the 5th & 6th picks should be on defense. If we go this heavy on offense then we must pick up another LB, DE and a backup CB in free agency. A backup running back to share with Williams and Drake could be found in free agency.

24. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

I was noticing that yesterday. We actually ran more plays on offense than we faced on defense last year (995-989). Hard to believe but Cutler actually did a better job than RT17 of keeping the offense on the field. In Ryan's first 5 years the team has constantly under performed in this area.
    Over the Tannehill era we have had to face 460 more plays on defense than we have run on offense. That is terrible and worst in the league. At least we improved something this past year.

Ray R likes this.
  25. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

We were also 31st in the league in "offensive snaps with a lead" at only 13% of the time. The Rams were 1st at 52%.

Time of possession improvement or not....Cutler was awful most of the time. The 80.8 QB rating for a 12 year vet in a familiar system was not ideal. Tannehill only had one season worse than that and it was when he was a rookie. Cutler had 4 REALLY good games last year and the rest were train wrecks. In those 4 good games he averaged a 112.3 QB rating. In the other 10 games he averaged a QB rating of 67.77. That is truly pathetic.

Add in almost 1200 yards in penalties and I'm surprised we even won 6 games. In addition 17 penalties were declined and 7 were offsetting.

553 of those yards were from the offense. 456 defense. That's 26 offensive pre-snap penalties.

Stoobz and joenhre like this.
  26. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I would love to see the team solve the main offensive issues in free agency if possible. Also, I wouldn't give up on Landry just yet.

The draft looks better (again) on the defensive side. I don't think Miami can wait any longer to get a quality linebacker. There are some good safeties as well.

I could see Miami taking a tight end pretty high, maybe 2nd round, but would like to see a mostly defensive draft.

27. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Either way that's an absurd amount of pre snap offensive penalties
    I count 29

Tunsill-9
    Pouncey-2
    Stills-2
    Bushrod-2
    Landry-1
    James-4
    Larsen-1
    Young-2
    Drake-2
    Davis-1
    Thomas-1
    Cutler-1
    Sterup-1

http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/miami-dolphins?year=2017&view=players

joenhre and Ray R like this.
  28. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

Too many youngsters playing on one side of the ball.. gase will keep a strong veteran presence

Ray R likes this.
  29. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

The offense didn’t help the defense, but the defense still cant account for TE and gave up too many 3rd and longs- even before the whole ‘tired’ thing.

Rumors are growing that CJ will be released- hopefully a reunite here with Gase and Studsville.

Rd 1 best rated D player on the board, Draft a TE rd 2 or 3 more likely (even though I think last years class was better) backup QB and lb or de possibly depending who rd 1 pick is. They are going to give all those OL bodies a chance so I wouldn’t expect an ealry pick at all there if at all.

Im expecting a quiet FA this year for us. Maybe a depth type OL or special teamer type depending if Thomas and Aikens are both gone

30. lurking

A whopping six more plays, and i'm not even going to respond to the rest of the post because it's just trolling.

Ray R and Eesti like this.
  31. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

We absolutely MUST fix this offense. Our defense wasn't good but it wasn't putrid bad either. With a better offense our defense will improve. How many times did the defense produce a turnover on the opponents side of the ball only for the offense to go 3 and out and score no points? This can't continue to happen.

Ray R likes this.
  32. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

6 more plays is huge considering where we have been the past 5 years. On average we are allowing almost a 100 more plays per season. You aren't going to be successful if your offense can't stay on the field. I even brought up the 460 play differential before the season. So it was nice to see us get that somewhat fixed. I never said the play differential was Tannehill fault so down boy. And still waiting for those great games from you.

33. Jay131866

Jay131866 Scout Team

If Gesicki makes it to round 3-4 I would be happy grabbing him as our seam TE. 6'6" monster target in red zone with speed for mismatches. Also a BBall and Vball player in HS. If he could block he would be a 1st round pick.

34. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

If you look at the top defensive teams this past season you will find that they all fell on their faces when faced with playoff offenses.

Minnesota # 1 gives up 38 points to Eagles.
    Jacksonville #2 gives up 24 points to Patriots including 2 4th Quarter TD's
    Philadelphia #4 gives up 33 points to Patriots
    New England #5 gives up 41 points to Eagles.
    Pittsburgh #7 gives up 45 points to Jags.

Pretty easy to see that defense doesn't do much for you these days. You have to score points and a lot of them.

cullenbigcstill and Ray R like this.
  35. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

CJ Anderson is supposedly done in Denver. It is reported that they could trade or release him. Would help the RB position.

Travis34 likes this.
  36. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

In order to fix the offense I do believe the Dolphins need to get to work on the offensive line. I share that goal with everyone who is on the Quenton Nelson train. I just don't believe the #11 overall pick is necessary to do it.

But if you get the offensive line constructed right and then Ryan Tannehill back in the fold, the key to sorting out the offense is just for Adam Gase to finally do what he was supposed to do when he arrived, which is to mix up his personnel and formation usage, call a wide variety of plays designed to utilize everyone's best skills.

He just got caught onto this stagnant and repetitive rut where Jay Ajayi is here for outside zone, the wide receivers are Landry, Stills, and Parker and they never change, we're a Y-Iso offense, etc.

I actually wouldn't mind jettisoning some of the current offensive skill position players and going with a broader approach that focused on rotations, skill sets, changing personnel week to week according to what will work best against the upcoming defense.

But to do that you have to have a core unit of OL-QB that works.

BSQ and Ray R like this.
  37. lurking

average out those six plays over 16 games, and we have a whopping half play more per game.
    Oh and back to the great game crap. I never brought up tanny having a great game that was your a-- that brought that up. I was talking about foles and you got pissy.

38. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Last year we ran 912 offensive plays and faced 1088 defensive plays, this year we ran 995 offensive plays and faced 989 defensive plays.

It's a hell of lot more than 1/2 a play a a game. Last year we faced 11 more defensive plays per game than we ran on offense. This year it was pretty close to even. 11 extra plays per game the opponents never got this year. That is a huge difference.

You said Foles didn't play a great game in SB LII. I called you on it. You never responded because you know you are wrong. Diminishing other QB's accomplishments doesn't make our QB better. But that seems to be your end game.

39. lurking

Oh I see you're combining the two years. I thought things were done on a yearly basis.
    And you called me out on what, that I said that foles played a good game. ( that's where you got pissy) and said something to the effect, about tanny and his great games. I never have said tanny has played great games in this thread or any thread, so I don't know where your coming from on that.

40. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

There is no combining. It a comparison of last season and this. Nevermind....