Football isn't that complicated. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Football isn't that complicated.

So much has changed in the NFL since this incident from about 25 years ago. Subpackages weren't nearly as common in the early 90's as they are today.

We're also talking about the guy who threw an NFL record 336 interceptions (almost 50 more than #2 Blanda) in his career compared to just 298 games started. Probably would have done him some good to pay attention to Sherman Lewis and Mike Holmgren in those offensive meetings.

So much has changed in the NFL since this incident from about 25 years ago. Subpackages weren't nearly as common in the early 90's as they are today.

We're also talking about the guy who threw an NFL record 336 interceptions (almost 50 more than #2 Blanda) in his career compared to just 298 games started. Probably would have done him some good to pay attention to Sherman Lewis and Mike Holmgren in those offensive meetings.

Maybe, but in the early 80's most of us knew what a nickle or dime package by the defense was. For some reason I'm thinking subpackages were common place in the 90's. Wasn't that the whole reason behind the K-Gun offense in Buffalo and the Bengals hurry up offense, to keep the subpackages from getting on the field?

However, I can feel for Farve. Who cares if it's a nickle package or a base 4-3? I'm more worried about the actual defensive assignments (are they in a cover 2 or cover 3) than I am if they have 4 or 5 defensive backs on the field. A cover 2 defense in the nickle isn't much different than the same defense in the base package. The only difference is you a have a db with more range and coverage skills on the field instead of a slower linebacker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom