For Older Fins Fans...Doug Betters | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For Older Fins Fans...Doug Betters

Big Doug.

Yeah, lotsa Missoula folk recall him. I lived there for 17 years.

I believe he is in Whitefish these days.

Big Doug.

Yeah, lotsa Missoula folk recall him. I lived there for 17 years.

I believe he is in Whitefish these days.

Good football tradition at UM...lots of former Griz have seemed to have made their way to the Fins.

Missoula's a great town, hadn't been there in quite some time. Saw someone get tossed out of the Oxford for the first time in my life, I didn't think that was possible.

Doug Betters was a very good player combined with GREAT coaching. IMO, the greatest coach in Dolphins history is not Don Shula, it's Bill Arnsparger. His defenses while the DC of the Dolphins were ridiculous. Here is a summary of their success:

In 12 years as the DC, the team AVERAGED 5th in points allowed. To further emphasize the point, after he left at the end of the 1983 season, this is how the defense ranked in points allowed:

1984 - 7th
1985 - 12th
1986 - 26th

It is no coincidence that Shula & Marino never made another SB after 1984.

Attachments

• Workbook1 2018-02-08 17-00-34.png
    Workbook1 2018-02-08 17-00-34.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 4
Doug Betters was a very good player combined with GREAT coaching. IMO, the greatest coach in Dolphins history is not Don Shula, it's Bill Arnsparger. His defenses while the DC of the Dolphins were ridiculous. Here is a summary of their success:

In 12 years as the DC, the team AVERAGED 5th in points allowed. To further emphasize the point, after he left at the end of the 1983 season, this is how the defense ranked in points allowed:

1984 - 7th
1985 - 12th
1986 - 26th

It is no coincidence that Shula & Marino never made another SB after 1984.

We should have brought him back when he left LSU. Third time a charm and all of that.

We should have brought him back when he left LSU. Third time a charm and all of that.

Instead, Shula’s buddy Marty Schottenheimer planted Tom Olivadotti with the Dolphins. Hard to believe football minds like Shula and Schottenheimer kept enabling that clown.

Instead, Shula’s buddy Marty Schottenheimer planted Tom Olivadotti with the Dolphins. Hard to believe football minds like Shula and Schottenheimer kept enabling that clown.

I have a running joke with friends that are Bills fans - "Who is the best offensive coordinator in Bill's history?" Tom Olivadotti. Sad, but true.

IMHO Betters is best DE in phins history. His 1983 season (16 sacks) is the best season by a phins Dlineman in team history.
Had he played longer than 9 yrs, he would have received HOF consideration.

Thanks for the history lesson guys cause this is before my time.

Back
Top Bottom