For the Ireland Supporters

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Cleetus, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Cleetus

Cleetus Well-Known Member

I have made it known that I really would like a new GM and front office here but if Ireland can prove me wrong and get us into the playoffs next season I would change my opinion of him. For all the ireland supporters on this board I have a question- What would it take for you to want him out of here? Would another 6-10 or 7-9 season do it? Are you giving him another 2 more years no matter what?

2. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Apalled and aghast Donator

Undecided. I want to see what happens between now and opening day. IMO, he has a chance to redeem his rep.

3. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Ireland is bulletproof.

He will always be considered the most qualified person for the job. Why? Because he currently has "Miami Dolphins" in front of his title. Its only when he loses those words will he be considered trash.

4. erralyn

erralyn Starter

I won't put words in their mouth, but my opinion is you will get few Ireland supporters who will state right now that they will withdraw their support after another sub-500 season. They will make sure they have wiggle room if he is retained.

5. Ikema

Ikema FinHeaven VIP

What you Ireland critics failed to realize is most fans loyalties lie deeper than your usual knee-jerk reactions. I could care less whether you're a dolphin fan or not, and why in the world would you think I would? You mean nothing to me, and you never have, and you never will unless you're willing to give me an incredibly large amount of money for nothing. I've been a dolphin fan since 1970, hell yeah I want them to win, but I go in anywhere regardless.

6. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

If we continue to show progress he stays.

If we keep losing, thanks Jeff but lets see who Joe likes from the Packers.

If he does get a new deal it will be highly amusing around here for a few days lol

7. JFoxx

JFoxx Seasoned Veteran

Not an Ireland supporter, but I don't think it's going to matter what he does. He obviously has photos of Ross in a very compromising scenario. That's the only way an incompetent GM who's resume repeatedly embraces .500 or sub .500 seasons. How many draft picks from the last 5-7 years are still around? How did our 2nd round picks (which are supposed to be your bread and butter guys) pan out for us? Those have to be some good pictures he has on Ross!

8. The Omen

The Omen Well-Known Member

This is Irelands 3rd year running the show on his own, he's set himself up nicely with the cap and picks. Considering we are 3 Dan Carpenter missed field goals away from a 9-7 season, I expect this team to go at least 9-7 to 10-6 this year. Playoffs or at least the same record as a playoff team but booted out due to tie breaker is the bare minimum to save his job.

9. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Just to clear up, we dont know if hes a "free agent". When they announced Ross had resigned Ireland, they refused to reveal the years. The media speculated that it was 2 years because thats how long Sparano's extension was. That rings false to me, as Ross made it apparent that he intended to keep Ireland after he fired Sparano(apparent because the Harbaugh thing...and the fact he did keep Ireland).

10. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

No....it's win or get fired this year for Ireland. Not "this continuing to show progress" stuff. That could mean a 8-8 or 9-7 non playoff year this season but according to you that's showing progress and he stays. Playoffs or Ireland is gone this year. Period. No exceptions.

11. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

good for your. Doesnt change my view though. We wont be a playoff team this year its too big a gap in one year.

12. The Omen

we were still in playoff contention week 16 last year. We are on the cusp, and like I mentioned before Dan Carpenter single handedly blew 2 wins for us early in the season.

13. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Okay...? LOL.

14. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

"We were playoff contenders, if only...."

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/92...FBB4F780774E5B98CC80FC0D29F8BD603737D618EA007

"We were playoff contenders, if only...."

[video=youtube;cRInQyUV16k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRInQyUV16k[/video]

"We were playoff contenders, if only Carpenter hadnt missed his kicks!"

Same song, different year. Good teams are able to succeed even if their kickers screw the pooch a few times. For us it sinks our season.

And had Carpenter really screwed us that badly, our general manager probably should have replaced him. Heck, Carpenter has been missing kicks for years, why were we put in this position in the first place?

15. Anvil35

Anvil35 Leave Users Titles Alone!! Finheaven VIP Donator

I have been a fan of his for one reason - I am a Dolphin fan, and I think he is still a member of the Miami Dolphins front office. I come to this site to get new information, not to proselytize. If I knew more than Mr. Ireland I would be in the business of football. Again, since some of the low information users here refuse to understand about control and decision making, they lay all of the blame for the Dolphins troubles at Irelands door. Parcells and Sporano drafted poorly during their time here - was Ireland GM, yes but Parcells was the FINAL decision maker then - put down the game controller and read something about Parcells and his well known decision making control - Were you in the room when Tuna and Tony said Pat White is next - Do you know for fact that Ireland agreed or maybe declined? Something we will never know - but the blame goes to Ireland because he was the GM...I think Mr. Ireland gets this year to prove his value. If he drafts as successfully this year as he has the last two there will be many disappointed users here at Finheaven.

16. JFoxx

JFoxx Seasoned Veteran

Yes, we all know that this as Ireland has indirectly already layed blame on Parcells for some past draft decisions. So we have an innept GM that had no true GM authority during most of Parcells tenure and now the last couple years he has??? Is that a better excuse for him or worse for defending his job ???? Sorry, but look at the history of deals he has and repeatedly has not made. Comments to prospective draft picks (your momma a prostitute?). Repeated comments from coaches who turned us down over the two years we were looking. Etc Etc.
    I wish people would stop defending this behavior!

17. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

The answer, 9 or 10 wins and playoff contention, period. This BS about the previous regimes is just that, BS. Ireland has set himself up to succeed with this draft... or not. I have been softly on the Ireland side of the fence for the past 2 years and see progress, but that's no longer enough. Many pieces are in place, some glaring holes exist so now it's time for him to earn his title.

18. SouthPaul

SouthPaul Well-Known Member

At this point it doesn't matter whether you like Ireland or don't like Ireland, he's our GM and we're stuck with him for better or worse. Best thing we can all do is hope for the best and give the new players our support.

19. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

I don't find this issue that complicated. They chose a qb - and yes u could argue we should've drafted Matt Ryan - in Henne, he showed promise, so Ireland gave him time. It was the correct approach, just the wrong QB. He was given a do over, and so now, with the promise shown last season by Tannehill, the pressure is on to win and compete IN THE PLAYOFFS. And with the right offseason moves I feel that it's perfectly achievable

20. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

I've seen enough, turn the corner of get the **** out. 8-8 or worse and he is gone, 9-7 depends on the how the 9-7 unfolds, 10-6 or better is what I want out of this team this year.

21. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

I think Ireland has to see the team fight for a playoff spot, if not get it. Obviously something is different as Ireland has taken more scouts this year to the combine than he has in past years.

22. Cleetus

Cleetus Well-Known Member

I am guessing the people that answered by questioning fan status or by saying that they will root for the team through thick and thin have no criteria for the front office to meet. Also I realize that we as fans have no power to cause any change to the front office situation but we also have no power to enact imaginary trades and free agent pickups but we have fun doing that on this board as well. Thank you to all the people who actually gave an answer to the question posed, it helps me understand your point of view a little better.

23. taz_butcher

taz_butcher Rookie

I too am an old timer who doesn't believe in the knee jerk reaction. What will show up more is because this year he has cap and draft picks and no one looking over his shoulder like Parcells. If he falters then Ross should look to a replacement. He will still need help from coaches and scheduling. I do believe we go playoff this point forward.

24. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

Bull****. sub-500 and he won't have any supporters. this is it. winning season and playoffs or he's gone.

25. CRIOS

CRIOS PERFECT PHINS '72 Finheaven VIP Donator

I have been opposed to Ireland in all the posts I have made on the forum and to be frank I need to chill out. Negative thinking is never the right way to go. I will thus think positively with the hopes that our GM will indeed make the right moves. We are all together on this - to make our Miami Dolphins a contender. So I am from this point looking at Ireland in a new way. He will get it done. We must believe he will...get it done.

26. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

I suppose i didnt answer your original question, my apologies. Im not a Ireland supporter, but because of the history of this forum i feel erralyn hit the nail on the head. People might be filled with conviction now, but give themselves wiggle room to change their "vote" after next season.

When we have a losing season next year i feel fans will suggest our draft class showed potential and give the team a mulligan because of how hard our schedule is. They will advocate keeping him because of the "quality" of the rookies he brought in. If he is actually fired, i believe those same fans will slam him relentlessly. I base this prediction on the behavior i witnessed after Sparano was fired.

27. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

IMO, we need to make the playoffs. I want ireland to succeed and I don't like to sit around criticize him for his mistakes in the past. I just want everything to work out for the better of our team and I hope ireland is our successful gm for the next 5-10 years. However if we don't land a spot in the playoffs this year , I believe it is time to make a change at our gm position in 2014.

28. CRIOS

In truth, is it Ireland's fault that we did not make the playoffs last season or is Carpenter's fault? Those field goals would of given us a winning season last year. And yes I understand that Ireland did select Carpenter in his first year as a Dolphin GM. Still...

29. AJAYFIEDLY

AJAYFIEDLY Member

30. CRIOS

Which post? My post?

31. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

He could have built a team that scored touchdowns instead of one that relied on fieldgoals. He could have cut Carpenter during the offseason due to previous seasons mistakes. He could have cut Carpenter during the season when he began to act shaky.

Carpenter is only playing up to his level of talent. Its up to Ireland to determine if that level of talent is acceptable for his team. Ireland determined it was. He clearly misevaluated the situation.

32. CRIOS

Yes. A better team. One that would not have but us in such a situation. Good point.

33. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

How many games did we win from other teams miscues? It goes both ways.

34. BC26

BC26 Active Member

This is going to take time. You can't put a specific number of wins or he's out on this season. We currently have the second youngest team and we will be very young again this year. The cap room and significant number of picks is by design. We (Ireland, Philbin, Ross and the fans) are building a winner here. Get on board or get out of the way! The thing I hate to see on these forums is when fans drum up every 30+ veteran that gets released by another team and feel like we need to have them...Michael Turner, Cullen Jenkins...etc. Let the team build a young team that will compete for a long time. If we kick Ireland out the door, then you can say good-bye to Philbin and Tannehill. There will be a whole new regime and we will be starting all over again. Like we've been doing over and over since Shula walked out the door. You need to keep in mind, too, the devil you know may be better than the devil you don't. I support Ireland and look forward to the winning that is coming our way as this time matures together.

35. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

Yeah well the "we have the second youngest team" excuse got old in 2009-10 around these parts.

36. The Omen

Wow, your hatred for Ireland is so deep it has deluted your sense of reality. Carpenter, until last year was one of the most clutch FG kickers in the league. Missing 3 game winners is Carpenters fault, NOT Ireland's. Boy oh boy.

37. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Drinking Irelands koolaid must have caused memory loss.

In 2011 he missed 3 field goals in 2 weeks. One was during a 16-17 loss to Cleveland.
    In 2010 he missed 7 field goals in 4 weeks. One was also during a Browns loss, this time 10-13. He went 0/4 against the Bills, we ended up losing that game by 3 points(guess what peoples excuse was after that season?).

Carpenter has been shaky for years. At times, hes shown he can be a quality kicker. But he cant sustain that quality for an entire season. He goes through streaks of misses. When it costs us multiple games over multiple seasons, thats Irelands fault for not cutting him.

And all of that ignores the fact that we rely way to much on field goals to win games.

38. Tureo

Tureo Seasoned Veteran

This debate always seem to end the same way with both factions on the extreme sides holding their stance that Ireland sucks or that he is doing great. Then those in between will take a more reasonable approach of win now or he needs to pack his bags. We've seen this over and over again with Wanny, Tony, Cam, Saban, Fiedler, Feeley, and on and on. I personally look at all the picks and money from both sides. Of course it is great but it also represents the hole he and Tuna put the team in.

39. BC26

BC26 Active Member

So are you suggesting we sign a handful of older veterans so that we aren't young? You must be one of the guys that thinks we should chase Cullen Jenkins and Michael Turner. The average age of the team will go up, so naturally we will win more games, right?

40. NYinBostonFin

NYinBostonFin Playoffs Please!!

Most SB and playoff teams have a mix of solid veterans as well as youth. Not saying to sign Cullen or Turner, but experience on this team in the lockerroom would be far from a detriment.