Forget the bench – Miami Dolphins’ Davon Godchaux closes in on starting role | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Forget the bench – Miami Dolphins’ Davon Godchaux closes in on starting role

I'm pulling for Vincent Taylor to take the third spot from Phillips as well. Phillips needs to be phased out of this team.

I haven't seen anything from Phillips that suggest he shouldn't be at least an NFL backup talent at DT, so if that's what he is than you pay him accordingly and keep him in that role. I wouldn't over pay him with high starter's salary, but to me his play warrants veteran number 3 dt money and a job rotating in with the starters. I wouldn't get rid of NFL talent just because they're not starting. That's how you end up with a linebacking corp like Miami currently has. I would love to have a player in Phillips' talent and production range playing backup linebacker right now.

I have seen this in other sports where a guy has such an incredible natural talent that he is bored at every level that is not the professional level. So simply trying to work to make it there they damage their stock and fall like this kid did. It may sound odd but some players no matter the sport are just professional players regardless of what any of their amateur film says.

He has done well against the 2nd's, but really doesn't look that good against 1's...it will take a couple of years for him to really get there.

Like SOS always says about our system, we need 4 dlineman that can penetrate. Davon seems like a serious talent. He goes over to Suh last night to ask what he did wrong or right..That is just another sign of the man getting it. I have to give a shout out to Vincent Taylor as well. His 4 yd TFL was just brute strength throwing the guard back into the Rb. I know it's only preseason but our D looked very fast last night and ball hawks.

Hope he continues to do well, take the job and run with it.

I hope him and Taylor get some new numbers... i keep thinking- man Jelani Jenkins got fat at fist sight lol

That's so funny bro..I kept thinking damn Jelani looks out of shape lol I think Davon will get 96 and Taylor 94.

Those numbers are open I believe?

I thought Godchaux blew hot and cold at LSU. But someone pointed out in another thread he just was doing what he was asked to do, which limited him to a occupying DT, to take on blockers to free up others to make plays. That role made him go unnoticed a lot, which limited his play making production. Perhaps in a professional environment with pro coaches and pro athletes, has unleashed his production capabilities? Every once in a while players who've e been limited in college find the right fit at the pro level and develop into better pros than what they were in college. Terrell Davis comes to mind. The scheme in Miami under this coaching staff has seemingly developed Godchaux's potential.

Part of achieving anywhere near another 10-6 record will be counting on players like this guy, Timmons, Hayes, and whoever starts at two-down MLB to make a big difference in the run defense over last year.

Suh told him gotta keep those feet moving as replay showed exactly what he was talking about when Godchaux was stonewalled.

For those ready to toss Phillips out the window with the bathwater, I'm glad you aren't in charge.

Back
Top Bottom