Forward pass turns 100 years old | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Forward pass turns 100 years old

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
It was the pass that would change football forever. And no one caught it.

The first recorded legal forward pass in American football history marks its 100th anniversary Tuesday.

It took years for Saint Louis University football coach Eddie Cochems to get credit for calling the first pass play for a football program that was disbanded more than 50 years ago.

The play would go on to lift football's grueling battle on ground to the air and create a faster and more exciting sport.

And the St. Louis player who wrapped his big hands around the fat, rugby-shaped ball to throw what they called a "projectile pass" is remembered only in obscure sports trivia as Bradbury Robinson.

The pass was incomplete and the other team automatically got the ball, according to university archives. But the game wasn't over.

"It was the coach who pushed to do the play. He was definitely looking to draw some attention to his school," said Jerry Vickery, curator for the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame in Springfield.

Ten years ago, Vickery did extensive research on the Catholic university's team and the forward pass. The St. Louis school was considered a regional powerhouse at the time but received little recognition, Vickery said. It was overshadowed by larger football schools in the East, such as Yale and Harvard.

"Football was like a war. Bloody and dangerous. They had plays where they would slingshot players over the line and over the pile," Vickery said.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/09/04/bc.fbc.forwardpass.ap/index.html

Awsi Dooger said:
Worst thing that ever happened to football

Totally agree. I would rather have all the players have destroyed bodies by the time the retired.

Throwing the ball too often is pantyhose. That was the basis for my earlier comment.

It cracks me up that the Marino era is glorified around here. It was incompetent and ignorant football. Maybe I realize it more than others because I've been involved in the statistical aspect for 20+ years. We were giving ourselves no chance year after year based on the philosophy we embraced. The mainstream media doesn't do a good job of pointing that out, and it leads to idiocy that all we needed was a better defense, blame to Olividotti, etc.

There have only been a handful of teams in the 20+ years I've charted the games that threw for a great yards per attempt but ruined and nullified that by being so stupid they didn't run the ball often enough. The Marino era Dolphins were front and center and it still ticks me off.

Luckily I'm old enough to have attended the glory era games as a kid, Griese and Csonka and real football.

Back
Top Bottom