Franchise Tag Landry

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BahamaFinFan78, Feb 13, 2018 at 7:00 AM.

1. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

If you are in charge, do you do it? Even if you don't intend to sign him, is it worth the bluff to get a draft pick back? Will someone still sign him? The cost is just over 15 million. The Non-exclusive tag would give us a first round pick back if I'm correct?

2. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

No, tagging him means nobody touches him because the pick or picks would come from the signing team. Nobody will pay him a big contract AND give up a first rounder. I highly doubt Miami tags him. They either sign him or he walks and they use the money elsewhere.

rickd13, Danny, randomname and 2 others like this.
  3. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

This is what I was curious about. Would the pick deter everyone from signing him? Would it be so bad if no one signed him and we paid him 15 million for one year, especially if the QB position has better play this season?

4. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

You might get away with this if it were Aaron Rogers or a player like that, but no team is going to make Landry one of the highest paid WRs in the league and then give a first round pick on top of that. No, the Dolphins IMO will let him walk and continue to build the team through the draft.

5. Adam Strange

Adam Strange Question Authority Finheaven VIP

What’s the point of paying him huge money for one year? Do you actually think they’re making a deep playoff run, much less Super Bowl run, and that he’s an indispensable piece? Contending for wildcard is this team’s ceiling, and that’s assuming they fix the holes and Tannehill comes back strong. They either need to sign him to a new contract or let him walk— and given his salary demands, they should do the later and get on with improving the rest of the team.

Avigatorx and Sarnics13 like this.
  6. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

I wouldn’t say it’s totally out of the question- it could lead to a tag and trade but they don’t happen very often.

The thought of tagging him and keeping him around one more year to see how Parker performs in 18 and furher evaluation of Landry’s maturity etc I think is a valid consideration.

The final decision has to be made as part of the rest of the roster decisions though because of the high cap hit- do we rescind James 5th yesr option? Who else is purged from the roster Timmons, Thomas etc and are we content with doing little to nothing in FA?

In the end I think he probably walks, which is a shame because they should have moved him at the trade deadline in hindsight.

Unit One likes this.
  7. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Bye Bye

rickd13 and gofins60 like this.
  8. mwestberry

mwestberry FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

It's like treading water...I wouldn't do it...

If I were planning to keep him I would just sign him up ...why put a one year rental on him?....it's too much money for his position and his overall value to the offense...his agent, like many on this site and throughout the league, has insight to the other silly contracts we have "negotiated" and is playing that card to get more money for his client (and himself)....

Crazy high dollar contracts for players that don't make a huge impact for our team, in terms of wins and losses, has to stop....his emotional impact??? Have never seen that kind of energy win a championship....hire better cheerleaders and a new mascot for that

whizafriz likes this.
  9. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

If they tag Landry, your basically handcuffing your cap for a slot WR....Im not okay with that.

miamiron and gofins60 like this.
  10. ANUFan

ANUFan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Nope! If they aren't going to sign him long term then just let the guy go.

I would hate to see what that charming personality is going to be like all season with a Franchise tag on him. No thank you don't need the distraction.

11. Drfletcherdc

Drfletcherdc A True Fan

I could see the 49ers or the Browns throwing the extra money at Landry but no good team is paying Landry 14-15 mil a year. Franchise tagging him would be extremely unwise with so many holes needing to be filled or strengthen. I hope they keep Landry but not at the cost of weakening the rest of the team.

12. Csonked Out

Csonked Out FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

The honest answer is signing Cutler costs us Landry. The franchise tag is simply not a realistic option.

13. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

It is somewhat out of the question here, because 1. He would have to sign his franchise tender for them to trade him and if it's not a team he wants to play for, no team will execute that trade without him agreeing to a long term deal with them; 2. He's not good enough to merit a gigantic contract and giving up draft pick comp.

14. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

I don't think that's true. They have plenty of money available if the right players are there to be paid. He's not one of those players. If they need to free up money for a worthy player at top $, they could easily accomplish that through contract restructures. The cuts they will make alone (i.e. Timmons, Thomas, probably Pouncey) would be enough. This is not about available cap money as much as it is about him simply asking for way too much for what his value is.

15. Csonked Out

Csonked Out FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I didn't mean it as much cap wise as I did production wise. I just thought Tannehill was going to have a huge year and thought Landry would be the beneficiary. Losing Ryan costs Jarvis and the other receivers a lot of production last year.

16. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Exclusive tag = average of top 5 salaries (15.682M in 2017)
    non-exclusive = average of top 10 salaries (should be around 14.2M this year)

Then there are other scenarios that may play out (however unlikely)...

The Patriots gave up an additional 7th round pick for Welker plus the second that would have been required on the RFA offer sheet.

I wouldn't expect a team to give up two 1st round picks for Landry. They could offer a less compensation though. Again...not likely.

17. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0, Peach Bowl Champions Finheaven VIP Donator

18. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

Hmmm. I hadn't looked at it that way. In some ways he was very productive just looking at raw stats - catches, TDs. Looking deeper at the player and the skillset he brings and the position he plays, I just wouldn't pay a slot receiver that much money when it means you lose the opportunity to pay for other positions of need. He's a good player, not a great one.

19. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

If they tag Landry that basically ties up all our cap room until the situation is resolved via either a trade or extension. Just let him walk and pocket the 3rd round comp pick

20. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

Oh, hell NO!!!

If we aren't gonna give him $15, then tagging him would stick us with him at that price. Nobody's gonna pay $15 mil AND give us a 1st.

21. CedarPhin

CedarPhin King of the Winter Carnival Finheaven VIP

22. Adam Strange

Adam Strange Question Authority Finheaven VIP

This is such a short-sighted idea that I’m surprised it’s not a leak from the Dolphins front office. Definitely sounds like something they’d do.

23. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Nope. No tag. Great football player, but the "-" doesn't outweigh the "+"s. And the more he opens his mouth with passive aggressive bullshit on twitter the less I like him. right price fine... but this might be addition through subtraction.

24. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

The franchise tag is likley higher than what he would sign for (high 15 to 16m). So no, no tag.

25. dnr3131

dnr3131 Well-Known Member

How about guard Andrew Norwell. Seems like a win win!

26. dnr3131

dnr3131 Well-Known Member

They MUST have a plan! Why else would they not take the trade offer before last years trade deadline from Baltimore? Did they think they were going to make a playoff run???? If he just walks and we get nothing but a mid round compensation pick next year, that was, IS a dumb move, considering they could have gotten a second and/or third round pick from Baltimore last season on Oct.31. If this is the case, another miss calculated move by Taanebaum! SIgn Laundry if you can move Parker for a second rounder....

27. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Tagging him would be asinine. So we'll probably do that.

They just need to let him go. That money will add to the team so much more productivity through a top TE and OLineman. He's becoming a media hound....like a male version of Miko and I for one am growing tired of the attitude.

28. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Transition tag makes the most sense

29. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

A long term deal works out better financially for us than the tag, and it solves the future issues too. We tag him and we're gonna pay him more this year and be right back in the same predicament next year.

Lock him or let him walk. I don't see any other way. No one is trading for him (if tagged) AND paying him what he wants.

30. BlueUndertow

BlueUndertow Well-Known Member

31. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

no. no no NO! transition tag him, let him get offered, save the $$$$ and take the compensatory pick. NO. MORE. BAD. CONTRACTS.

32. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

we don't want to pay him 12 or 13 mill but we'll tag him and pay him 16mill?......lol

Ozzy rules!!

miamiron likes this.
  33. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Transition tag if we can’t resign him.

34. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I'm hoping for no more bad contracts but with t-dumb in charge they're bound to happen again

Ozzy rules!!

35. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

The transition tag would be the worst option in my opinion. If you transition tag him you couldn't even get a compensatory pick for him if he leaves.

36. Phins28

Phins28 A True Fan

You tag that ***

37. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

Find a middle ground and sign that ***.

38. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

Signing Cutler cost us Landry, Cutler is like the gift that keeps on giving.

Let Landry go and build through the draft??? I don't get that logic. We drafted Landry, groomed the guy in our system, he has OUTPLAYED HIS CONTRACT for a few years now and when he wants a long term deal we're ready to say good bye to our only Pro Bowl quality offensive player. Why draft players, see them excel and then say we don't want to pay this guy. I realize his demands are very high but that's his agent negotiating. I hope we are able to bridge this gap and make a deal both sides can go forward with. This team was garbage on offense last season with our star slot receiver so picture how much Landry will be missed. Go watch games from last season, then watch some tape of Tannehill hitting Landry with great passes, then decide if we should bring back RT's favorite weapon.

39. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

40. Tailgun

Tailgun John Edwards

You only tag him if you are reasonably certain after calling around that you could get a 2nd and a 4th from someone who's willing to pay Landry what he wants (5 year/70M). If, after making several discreet inquiries, it appears there is no good tag and trade market for him then you absolutely must let him go and take the 3rd round comp next year.

And don't act like this could never happen. There are at least three teams off the top of my head that would at least consider giving up something for a guy they know they need desperately - if it means they could avoid a costly bidding war for his services.