Franchise Tag Landry | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Franchise Tag Landry

A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Exclusive tag = average of top 5 salaries (15.682M in 2017)
non-exclusive = average of top 10 salaries (should be around 14.2M this year)

Then there are other scenarios that may play out (however unlikely)...

ESPN.com first reported Saturday that the Patriots planned to sign Welker to a restricted free agent offer sheet. But the two teams obviously decided to avoid the red-tape and uncertainty that accompanies such a transaction and opted for a trade instead.

The Patriots gave up an additional 7th round pick for Welker plus the second that would have been required on the RFA offer sheet.

I wouldn't expect a team to give up two 1st round picks for Landry. They could offer a less compensation though. Again...not likely.

I didn't mean it as much cap wise as I did production wise. I just thought Tannehill was going to have a huge year and thought Landry would be the beneficiary. Losing Ryan costs Jarvis and the other receivers a lot of production last year.

Hmmm. I hadn't looked at it that way. In some ways he was very productive just looking at raw stats - catches, TDs. Looking deeper at the player and the skillset he brings and the position he plays, I just wouldn't pay a slot receiver that much money when it means you lose the opportunity to pay for other positions of need. He's a good player, not a great one.

If they tag Landry that basically ties up all our cap room until the situation is resolved via either a trade or extension. Just let him walk and pocket the 3rd round comp pick

Oh, hell NO!!!

If we aren't gonna give him $15, then tagging him would stick us with him at that price. Nobody's gonna pay $15 mil AND give us a 1st.

This is such a short-sighted idea that I’m surprised it’s not a leak from the Dolphins front office. Definitely sounds like something they’d do.

Nope. No tag. Great football player, but the "-" doesn't outweigh the "+"s. And the more he opens his mouth with passive aggressive bullshit on twitter the less I like him. right price fine... but this might be addition through subtraction.

No, tagging him means nobody touches him because the pick or picks would come from the signing team. Nobody will pay him a big contract AND give up a first rounder. I highly doubt Miami tags him. They either sign him or he walks and they use the money elsewhere.

How about guard Andrew Norwell. Seems like a win win!

They MUST have a plan! Why else would they not take the trade offer before last years trade deadline from Baltimore? Did they think they were going to make a playoff run???? If he just walks and we get nothing but a mid round compensation pick next year, that was, IS a dumb move, considering they could have gotten a second and/or third round pick from Baltimore last season on Oct.31. If this is the case, another miss calculated move by Taanebaum! SIgn Laundry if you can move Parker for a second rounder....

Tagging him would be asinine. So we'll probably do that.

They just need to let him go. That money will add to the team so much more productivity through a top TE and OLineman. He's becoming a media hound....like a male version of Miko and I for one am growing tired of the attitude.

A long term deal works out better financially for us than the tag, and it solves the future issues too. We tag him and we're gonna pay him more this year and be right back in the same predicament next year.

Lock him or let him walk. I don't see any other way. No one is trading for him (if tagged) AND paying him what he wants.

Back
Top Bottom