Fred Russell | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fred Russell

Fatherof25

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
What is up with him. Everyone was makin a big deal about him in mini camp but i dont even hear his name anymore. Did he magically start to suck or they just bury him in our whooping depth at rb???

Fatherof25 said:
What is up with him. Everyone was makin a big deal about him in mini camp but i dont even hear his name anymore. Did he magically start to suck or they just bury him in our whooping depth at rb???

He's made a few nice plays, but it's harder for him now that everyone has pads. I still think he's gonna make the team though. Our RB depth is better than you think...

i dont know how wanny is using him in camp at the moment. if he's trying to run him straight up the middle, that's not what he does. he hides behind lineman and jumps out and takes off. he gets to the corner before the LBs, he makes people miss in the flats.

I think right now everyone is so worried about finding a starting RB, that Fred isn't being used the way he should. I think once Wanny sets the 'roles', he'll be fine. Especially in a game situation. I wouldn't be surprised if in a preseason game he hears some smack talk about his size that gets him pumped up. He's not an every-down back in the NFL, but he's always a threat to break one. I only saw him caught from behind once in college.

Well, this will be a situation where all the backs will have a role. This isn't going to be like the last two years, when Ricky Williams handled 76% of the team's total rushing attempts. This will be much more of a committee approach, similar to what the team did in 2000 and 2001 when Lamar Smith handled around 45% of the teams rushing attempts.

I want to see the Dolphins take a page out of the Broncos playbook. I want to see them use Travis Minor in a similar fashion to the way Denver used Clinton Portis. They are similar in size and skill, so I see no reason why Minor can't be used that way. The Broncos ran the ball around 530 times last season. Portis carried the ball 55% of the time, but his big play ability allowed him to average around 5.5 yards per rush. I don't think Minor is quite as explosive as Portis, but he is a similar back.

Finsflurry said:
He's made a few nice plays, but it's harder for him now that everyone has pads. I still think he's gonna make the team though. Our RB depth is better than you think...

Yea I hope he makes the team. And as for the rb depth, I feel comfortable about it. We got Travis Minor, Sammy Morris, Lenord Henry, and Fred Russell. Thats a commitee the i feel pretty good about.

KBISBACK said:
Well, this will be a situation where all the backs will have a role. This isn't going to be like the last two years, when Ricky Williams handled 76% of the team's total rushing attempts. This will be much more of a committee approach, similar to what the team did in 2000 and 2001 when Lamar Smith handled around 45% of the teams rushing attempts.

I want to see the Dolphins take a page out of the Broncos playbook. I want to see them use Travis Minor in a similar fashion to the way Denver used Clinton Portis. They are similar in size and skill, so I see no reason why Minor can't be used that way. The Broncos ran the ball around 530 times last season. Portis carried the ball 55% of the time, but his big play ability allowed him to average around 5.5 yards per rush. I don't think Minor is quite as explosive as Portis, but he is a similar back.

I understand that comparison 100%. I always saw Minor as a rb with a Clinton Portis/Preist Holmes type runner(Not saying he has the same ability, but similar styles). I believe Minor - if given a fair shot- can get about 1200 yards rushing this year. But I also see the committee attack working best for this team.

You can't forget konrad. He's lined up as halfback a time or two now in TC, so look for him to take a few more carries this year.. 5 man running atack, with no feature back. Get a MD eye going with three men back.. Is that legal in the NFL?

I think he will give us the most bang for our buck running kicks and punts back. He may get some running time, but he would be better used on special teams.

Back
Top Bottom