Free agency: it ain’t just us... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Free agency: it ain’t just us...

Explain to me how Albert Wilson's contract is bad, though? A tad rich, yeah, but he's definitely a player who is up and coming and will be a key player in the offense.

It's just an overpay for a guy who will most likely end up being a 3rd or 4th target. He'll never live up to it given the nature of the role he'll play. What, maybe 60 targets? On the high end? Puts you into a difficult position when it comes time to pay players that produce. It's just all wonky and discombobulated and the same damn thing over and over again.

Overarching point: losing Landry and Suh to free up money for this free agency period won't end up being an awesome time in Dolphins history ... which should be to the surprise of exactly nobody.

No, that's saying that the Ravens, a historically smart team personnel wise with competent people in place, just paid similar value for a player who isn't as good as Wilson.

Even Ozzie Newsome messes up, every once in a while. 32 year old injury prone Danny Woodhead, Jeremy Maclin both signed last year with the Ravens...while neither got a fat contract both were free agent bust last year. I'm sure Ryan Grant will be joining the club.

Question is, did we pay to much, or this is the new market for WR and we as fans are just slow to adjust? I think this happens every year now

It's just an overpay for a guy who will most likely end up being a 3rd or 4th target. He'll never live up to it given the nature of the role he'll play. What, maybe 60 targets? On the high end? Puts you into a difficult position when it comes time to pay players that produce. It's just all wonky and discombobulated and the same damn thing over and over again.

Overarching point: losing Landry and Suh to free up money for this free agency period won't end up being an awesome time in Dolphins history ... which should be to the surprise of exactly nobody.

1. Miami picked up a young player who is coming into his own as a receiver
2. In the new NFL huge cap era, an $8M AAV cap number is not a huge number.
3. Miami's intention isn't to have one player be a focus. This is an offense predicated on being able to spread the ball around to a variety of targets.
4. Wilson adds much more speed to a slot receiver position that didn't have a whole lot of it.
5. Are you complaining about Kenny Stills' contract? Because it's essentially the same type of deal that one was.

Stills took less money to be with Miami. Stills would be getting $10M per year in this year's free agency crop.

Can't even talk $8 million AAV when there's $12 million guaranteed. This could end up being a two year $13.5 million deal.

3. Miami's intention isn't to have one player be a focus. This is an offense predicated on being able to spread the ball around to a variety of targets.
4. Wilson adds much more speed to a slot receiver position that didn't have a whole lot of it.
5. Are you complaining about Kenny Stills' contract? Because it's essentially the same type of deal that one was.

I'll play.

1. Yet to be seen. Betting on potential. Big freakin bet.

2. All relative. The player + their production factors in. Or is this already the default rationalization for when he puts up the same pedestrian numbers?

3. Great. I agree. Then why did Wilson and Amendola just get paid? Shouldn't we find cheaper alternatives to spread the ball around with? Or better yet ... maybe use some of the guys already on the roster who haven't gotten snaps yet?

4. Agree

5. Odd comparison. Stills produced as a Dolphin and got paid. Wilson has been okay with the Chiefs (I do like the player ... just not the price) and we paid him based on the potential of future production.

Not a good FA period to do this IMO. Landry and Suh will likely out produce any JAG we bring in with the money saved.

So we're going to be looking for a new kicker it looks like too? Why let Parkey leave after an excellent season? Surely Chicago isn't offering a ton more money?

Wilson, Grant, Amendola and Stills. Keep running them out there and in the 4th qtr. those DB's will be dying. Little guy's have a tendency to get broken, but there's 4 of them. One doesn't perform , sit his @$$, next. Need a TE target now. LB, TE G as draft priorities.

I, for one, actually like what we are doing. Yes, Landry was a good player for us but we basically turned Landry into Amendola, Wilson and a 4th and 7th pick. 100ish receptions to be more spread around.

Why do we assume that Albert Wilson is “coming into his own as a receiver”? Honest question.

His 2017 stats were not vastly different than his 2015 stats. And a good percentage of his stats in 2017 were picked up in the final game of the season when KC rested their stars - 10 of his 42 catches and 147 of his 554 yards were compiled in the final game.

I’m not 100% opposed to the signing, but I think the Dolphins overpaid. And I don’t see much evidence that Albert Wilson is suddenly on the upswing.

I, for one, actually like what we are doing. Yes, Landry was a good player for us but we basically turned Landry into Amendola, Wilson and a 4th and 7th pick. 100ish receptions to be more spread around.
I would rather have Landry

Listening to podcasts etc everyone wonders what the hell Miami is doing. Were a joke.

Back
Top Bottom