Free Agency, target undervalued not Mike Wallace! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Free Agency, target undervalued not Mike Wallace!

normaniii

Active Roster
Reaction score
When Philbin took over, there was a view that he & Ireland would follow the Green Bay/Ted Thompson era of building through the draft and not overpaying for Free Agents. I agree with this principle and I would only target undervalued players through Free Agency. The ones I like I have listed below:-

Andy Levitre OG. Never misses a game, can play any of the three inside spots and is only 26. IMO he is one of the most underrated OG in the game coming into his prime.

Michael Bennett DE. 2012 Bennett had 9 sacks and was 3rd amongst 4-3 DE with QB hurries.

Darius Butler CB. I liked him coming out of college and as the season went on in Indi he got better and better. By the season end he limited his opponents to a QBR of 39.5.

Greg Toler CB. According to PFF, Toler was a top 15 corner in coverage last year.

Adam Jones CB. Nearly made PFF pro bowl roster last year. He is underrated due to his past issues. Also great on ST & Coyle is familiar with him.

Re-sign Anthony Fasano & Chris Clemons. IMO both are not only underrated around the NFL, but also with most of their own fanbase.

Granted we need a WR, but I do not like any that are currently available. Both Mike Wallace & Greg Jennings have issues for different reasons, of which I would not pay top dollar for.

I would target my WR in this years draft. At #12 one of Cordarrelle Patterson or Keenan Allen will be available. If I could get the above FA, I would take Keenan Allen. He is ideal for our system. Also the scouting reports I have read compare him to Anquan Bolden or Jordy Nelson. If we can get someone who produces like either of these two it would be a great pick.

Agree with just about everything EXCEPT Pac man. Bringing him to South beach is just asking for trouble IMO.

Good post, I'm all for building through the draft. Would love to snag one of those CB's as well.

We went for "undervalued" players last year and ended up with Richard Marshall, Naanee, Jamal Westerman, and Artis Hicks. How did that work out?

We went for "undervalued" players last year and ended up with Richard Marshall, Naanee, Jamal Westerman, and Artis Hicks. How did that work out?

Only one undervalues there was Marshall, of which I still like a lot, just injuries hampered him. Others were just under performers!!!

Only one undervalues there was Marshall, of which I still like a lot, just injuries hampered him. Others were just under performers!!!

How the hell was Marshall undervalued. He was a part time jack of all trades player for Az which had paid him around 3 million, so not sure how he was considered undervalued. He was a a below average starter for Carolina for quite a few years

Yeah, unfortunately this philosphy leads you to 6-10, 7-9 seasons when you have Jeff Ireland making the picks. You gotta plug holes however you can do it. Be it the draft or free agency.

Packers mostly have to build through the draft because they don't a huge amount of cash laying around for signing bonuses like the Dolphins and Ross do.

That said, I think they do want to build through the draft, but this is BOTH Ireland and Philbin's last chance to save their jobs.

Yeah, unfortunately this philosphy leads you to 6-10, 7-9 seasons when you have Jeff Ireland making the picks. You gotta plug holes however you can do it. Be it the draft or free agency.

I think Ireland has drafted for the HC he has worked with. Unfortunately, previously he was working with Sparano. I think the drafting of Tannehill and a more finesse OT like Martin shows the shift in focus to what the current regime is looking for. At the end of the day we went 7-9 with a rookie HC & QB even after collecting picks for this years draft. I think Philbin/Sherman/Coyle/Rizzi will help Ireland to overcome the doubters.

I think the CBs in general will be had at reasonable prices because there are so damn many. I think Keenan Lewis will be reasonable for how talented he is - plays like a 1CB but will get paid close to a 2 or low-end 1. The guys who I think will be really valuable are Tony Carter (Den), hopefully Greg Toler, and DJ Moore (Chi nickel).

Back
Top Bottom