Freeh report on Penn State released | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Freeh report on Penn State released

Gonzo

Who dat?
Club Member
Reaction score
The report says the main cause of the university's failure was a desire to avoid bad publicity. Also contributing:

• A striking lack of empathy for child abuse victims.
  • Lack of oversight by the board of trustees.
  • "A president who discouraged discussion and dissent."
  • Ignorance of child abuse issues and laws.
  • A football program that had opted out of university programs and training on reporting requirements.
  • "A culture of reverence for the football program that is ingrained at all levels of the campus community."

"Four of the most powerful people at The Pennsylvania State University -- President Graham B. Spanier, Senior Vice President-Finance and Business Gary C. Schultz, Athletic Director Timothy M. Curley and Head Football Coach Joseph V. Paterno -- failed to protect against a child predator harming children for over a decade. These men concealed Sandusky's activities from the Board of Trustees, the University community and authorities. They exhibited a striking lack of empathy for Sandusky's victims by failing to inquire as to their safety and well-being, especially by not attempting to determine the identity of the child who Sandusky assaulted in the Lasch Building in 2001. Further, they exposed this child to additional harm by alerting Sandusky, who was the only one who knew the child's identity, of what McQueary saw in the shower on the night of February 9, 2001.

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_n...erno-concealed-facts-about-sandusky-sex-abuse

The paragraph you quoted struck my as the most haunting when I read the report. I think a lot of people overlooked the danger the shower victim was put in to save the school, administrators and coaches any public backlash.

Sorry Nubs but this confirms what was widely assumed by most. Paterno was very much aware and helped cover it. I don't think they have a choice but to take the statue down and hold the other three accountable for their part.

The paragraph you quoted struck my as the most haunting when I read the report. I think a lot of people overlooked the danger the shower victim was put in to save the school, administrators and coaches any public backlash.

Sorry Nubs but this confirms what was widely assumed by most. Paterno was very much aware and helped cover it. I don't think they have a choice but to take the statue down and hold the other three accountable for their part.

No question. Of course most of us had the common sense to know this was a complete cover up with Joe Paterno in charge, not the president of AD. Joe Paterno ran Penn St. and he called the shots. The man knew exactly what was going on with Sandusky and not only did he fail to do anything to stop it, he did so for the reason of protecting the brand of Penn St. football. We didnt need an FBI man to do an 8 month investigation. This interview sums it up nicely. Craig Carton had common sense months ago as most of us did....................

[video=youtube;4OpxN69IEV4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OpxN69IEV4[/video]

The bottom line here is Joe Paterno is not a great man as so many made him out to be. He is a morally corrupt individial. Unlike what Matt Millen is still trying to say on ESPN that you have to think about all the good Paterno did, you really dont. This unspeakable act demonstrates Paterno's full character. This act supercedes any good he did. As anyone can see, the so called "good" things Paterno did were nothing more than a way to boost him and his program in the eyes of others. We can plainly see what Paterno really cared about. It certainly wasnt the well being of children. Paterno cared only about himself and the well being of that damn football program, which btw has completely blown for quite sometime now. And while some of you may think that dosent matter, I think it should be considered that by the time all of this Sandusky stuff went down, Penn St football wasnt any good anymore. It wasnt the 80s. It was almost 2000 when Paterno couldve put Sandusky down. So at the time, Paterno was protecting a program that was terrible anyway. Utter disgrace.

At this point, anyone who supports Joe Paterno is PRO child rape. Plain and simple. There is no defending it anymore. Hell, there was really no defending it month ago when this story came out. Common sense combined with the facts that we had then told you that Paterno covered this up to protect the brand. Everyone knew Paterno called the shots at Penn St and knew everything that went on there. The man let Sandusky show up at a closed practice with a little kid. Sickening.

The statue should definately come down. No more kind words need spoken about what a great guy Paterno was and how he did all these great things. Joe Paterno was a horrible person...PERIOD. Was he a good football coach... well its difficult to say otherwise. The man won a lot of games at Penn St and he did build that program that for a while was very good. But, he isnt a good person. He isnt this great guy that wanted to help the community and cared about all these people like so many have stated. He cared about himself and that football program. Thats it. That is fully demonstrated by his actions. One of the best sayings ever is "your actions speak so loud I cant hear a word your saying". Paterno's actions here paint the picture. He is a scumbag.

I saw a lady a few weeks ago while I was on vacation wearing a shirt that stated "Coach Paterno. One thing...... THANK YOU." I wanted to vomit. That lady is pro child rape. Had I not been with my children, I wouldve stopped her and called her on it. You simply cant support Paterno at this point. Well, you can but you would have to be morally corrupt yourself.

If the statue dosent come down, Penn St and its supporters are pro child rape.

This report pretty much assures us that most of us were right. Penn State and its football program should either be suspended or dismantled all together....Paterno was a huge coward and I wish he was alive to face this report. Its really too bad. I hope he suffered during his final days. All Paterno thought about was himself and his friends. He thought nothing of the victims..He may have well have just invited these kids for Jerry to rape them. For this guy to act like his **** didnt stink is an example of how our society celebrates ppl like him... Paterno has or never was "old school" and when ppl say "what is this world coming to?" the reality is the world has always been ****ed up but for the most part we either didnt wanna know about it or just never find out. Jerry is going to rot in jail and I hope the other conspirtors rot as well. I hope their families suffer moniterily as well.

- McQueary reports the assault to Paterno on Saturday, February 10; Paterno tells McQueary, "you did what you had to do. It's my job to figure out what we want to do."

That is unbelievable! They need to tear his statue down

Anyone surprised by this? At all? Or the reasons as to why they covered it up?

Joe Paterno wanted to protect Joe Paterno's legacy and to hell with who it hurt.

Next up, Penn state students will begin flipping over cars in outrage over Osama bin Laden's death and the impeachment of Nixon...

This is easily one of the most disgusting cover ups in American history.

We hold people like Joe Paterno is such a bright positive light that we blind ourselves from believing that he'd ever be morally capable of anything like this.

But this is the ultimate problem with small towns such as State College when a man like Joe Paterno who is nothing more than a football coach has so much power and control over a town when he shouldn't. No one did enough to prevent any future child butthole rapings from occurring after the initial incident was reported by that ginger freak. He's just as guilty, if not more, than the rest of them.

Some sick human beings in all of this.

Btw, I am no longer purchasing any Nike products following the speech Phil Knight gave at Paterno's funeral. And this wasnt something I decided now after this report came out. Again, I think anyone with common sense or who wasnt blinded by loyalty to Penn St was fully aware and couldve connected the dots on this one. For Knight to say the things he said at that memorial, I was disgusted. I will no longer support a company like Nike that is pro child rape.

The worst thing IMO is that he didnt only cover up the child rape, which is awful in its own right. He went further and willingly allowed Sandusky to use inside access to PSU facilities as bait to lure in potential victims. How ****ed up is that?

Could be worse. They could of had a booster buying kids free drinks. Wait, what?

Will be pathetic if the NCAA doesn't hit them hard.

Even after all of this, even after a former FBI agent made the report, after the school signed off on an open investigation.....i have little doubt people will still be defending Paterno.

And Paterno, even in death, didnt seem to get what he did was wrong. He wrote a damn letter about protecting the football and academic legacy to be opened after his death. What a complete scumbag.

Even after all of this, even after a former FBI agent made the report, after the school signed off on an open investigation.....i have little doubt people will still be defending Paterno.

And Paterno, even in death, didnt seem to get what he did was wrong. He wrote a damn letter about protecting the football and academic legacy to be opened after his death. What a complete scumbag.

Clearly much more important than the innocence of children.

Like I said, there's something off about these small town people who live an hour from a grocery store. They're just wired improperly. Things like this happen unfortunately. Really hate to think about other similar happenings across America in these small towns.

Actually the vast majority of PSU fans at scout.com have changed their opinion on Paterno. There are a few that still defend him and there always will be. But most are now seeing Paterno for what he was. A self centered idiot that allowed a predator to victimize children. Great leaders do the right thing no matter the cost. Paterno failed miserably in the most important decision in his career.

Btw, I am no longer purchasing any Nike products following the speech Phil Knight gave at Paterno's funeral. And this wasnt something I decided now after this report came out. Again, I think anyone with common sense or who wasnt blinded by loyalty to Penn St was fully aware and couldve connected the dots on this one. For Knight to say the things he said at that memorial, I was disgusted. I will no longer support a company like Nike that is pro child rape.
Nike wasted no time removing Paternos name from their day care center at their world HQ.

Back
Top Bottom