Full AFC East Grades (Plus NY Giants) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Full AFC East Grades (Plus NY Giants)

I think you are letting your homerism influence your posts.

The past 2 days ive seen posts saying: "ha! Mallett is dropping, there is something we dont know!", then "Ha! He is still dropping, laughable that people wanted him at 15!". Then he finally ends up with the Patriots and its "Oh, well he sucks anyways." That sort of pure denial and blind homerism is mind boggling. You act as though any player that Ireland drafts is a home run and any player a division rival drafts is awful. And you have the audacity to declare others "influenced"?
The hypocrisy is especially amusing considering Chad Henne was a quarterback every team passed on(almost twice) yet we are now relying on. A player taken in the second round, a round which Ireland and others have admitted to making mistakes. Oh! Like Daniel Thomas. But hey, dont be influenced!

Ck stuck with the opinion he formed months ago. Its an opinion many of us shared because of research and projection. Many scouts and "experts" agreed with that opinion as they were very few on the field concerns about the prospect and many people starting talking complaining about things that had nothing to do with the quarterback position. I thought it was hilarious the "concern" that grew in the last 2 weeks that he didn't run fast enough to play quarterback.

Missing on a draft pick sure as hell influences your draft grade. But hey, if you want to talk purely about Daniel Thomas: why shouldnt he be a "D"? God forbid we grade someone badly who isnt fast, lacks burst, runs high, and fumbles the damn football. But wait! Ireland drafted him! He must be a stud! Because all of our second round picks have worked out so well in recent history. And i'm not being influenced at all!

Sometimes: you can dislike the selection and passing on a good player. It doesnt have to be one or the other. Ck posted a sentence "He did not impress me in 2009, but when I re-visited him in 2010 his pad level seemed to come down, and he looked a lot more instinctive, like a true tailback, rather than playing like an athlete." The fact that we continue to take projects for positions that shouldnt require it would make me give this entire draft a "F".

Every other team in the NFL manages to find running backs and interior linemen is later rounds with 0 problems. When Miami has to burn high draft picks to fill those same positions: you get a lower draft grade then other teams. Its a thing called value.

my homerism? MY HOMERISM? Here's the thing. Look at my posts, I warmed up to Mallett at the end, but I have been saying for AGES that Mallett has attitude problems. Being a Michigan fan, and seeing and knowing things about his time at Michigan I said Mallett had all the tools, but something was up. He was HATED by his teammates at Michigan. Henne and Hart were 2 of the only guys who could stand him. He was leaving no matter who the coach was. I said I saw a lot of potential in him as a freshmen at Michigan. I'e said time and time again, that seeing him at Arkansas something just didn't seem right. He didn't really develop how I thought he would. I heard the cocaine rumors.

And don't call me a homer. Yeah I'm optimistic, but I try to keep an impartial look on things. I love CK, I respect what he does. If I didn't why would I ask him to do a radio interview with me for school? Why would I constantly on my radio show site Chris Kaufman and Universal Draft as a source. I think CK does a helluva lot when it comes to analyzing the draft, and I feel sometimes he does not get the credit he deserves.

That being said, I stay to my opinion. Okay, you want to say the pick is graded D- not on Daniel Thomas but on passing Ryan Mallett. Here is the question I have for you. Why are the Pats the only team willing to take a risk on Mallett? Why is it that teams that NEED QBs like Minny, Tennessee, Cincy, and San Fran were willing to take on projects who might have to start right away and should be nowhere near the starting lineup over Mallett? THe Pats can draft Mallett and afford to let him sit for 3-4 years when he will be 26-27 and maybe he will be ready. WE DO NOT.

As I said in other threads. We hit a lot of needs in this draft with guys who should contribute. I don't look at the draft on who we pass up, I look at a successful draft on who can help make us better right away.

I love CK, but his word is not the law for me. And to call me a homer while people, yourself included, are calling our draft a failure because we didn't draft Mallett instead of basing their grades on who we draft, only support my opinion

So again, hate my optimism, but atleast I am willing to GIVE these players a shot rather than openly root for them to fail like some people on this forum (NOT a shot at you or CK, or anybody in particular, but there are those here and they know who they are).

I think far too many people are making far too big a deal of this. I provided grades for the draft picks. Disagree with them if you will. But to start attacking the basis of the grades as if I'm somehow biased and that these grades are not based on the same opinions and research I've been espousing for months, is cheap. What people seem to want is for me to find some technical and obscure way, fraught with conditions and exclusions, to tell them what they want to hear...that the Dolphins made awesome picks and that they're going to get to the Super Bowl with them. Don't look for that here. I gave my honest grades and you can feel free to disagree with them if you like. But I'm not forcing my opinion down anyone's throat and I think it's misguided to pretend like I am. I've explained my grades, what goes into them, the evaluation of the player, what was available, the philosophy behind the pick and the fit. I've made all that pretty clear. If some want to take a blind eye to it all or just disregard it because you think it's all about one player, that's fine but it's a pretty dumb way of going about things if you ask me. Disagreeing with my evaluations is one thing, but total dismissal out of hand on that basis is just not intelligent and speaks to people who only want to hear what they want to hear.

Thanks for all your posts, ck. On the whole, this has been a very enlightening thread. A good discussion. Like most other posters, I don't necessarily agree with some of your grades, but I understand where you're coming from. Please don't take the disagreements personally.

This whole Mallet episode certainly brought the whole draft to an entirely new level of excitement for us dolfans. I mean, the tension will build for years until we find out how good the guy really is, watching him in preseason and garbage time, tirelessly trying to reach a conclusion. And the fact that the Pats got the guy only raises the stakes higher...

The quirk we'll never be able to get rid of is that Mallet has a much better chance of reaching his potential for the Patriots than he would have had with the Dolphins. But that's just the way things are.

I think many of you are overlooking a few aspects: There is a REASON why several teams who NEED a QB, passed on Mallett. Tom Brady is not Brett Favre; Brady is the product of a system...Brett Favre WAS a system. Favre coached Rodgers to be top notch because he was just that darn good. If you put Brady on the Bills, he wont go anywhere. So having Brady coach Mallett...doesnt scare me. The Patriots are an easy team to beat, its just no team can seem to figure them out...but its obvious; theyre a passing team. If you have the top notch DB unit in the land, you can stop the Patriots anyday. As we saw last year, the Patriots were figured out by several teams. Again I say, theres a REASON why several teams overlooked Mallett. Granted, the idea of having Ingram and Mallett is very intriguing though.....but then again, who on earth is Mallett gonna pass to? Who on earth is gonna block for Mallett and Ingram? Joe Berger? Yikes! Not to mention several people said Mallett will be the next Ryan Leaf. I looked at Mallett's stats, and it amazes me that against GOOD teams, he kinda stunk.

Personally I would rather see Pouncey as a Guard. I reallllly liked Incognito as a Center. Now that we got Pouncey...what are we gonna do with Incognito? Move him back to Guard where he kinda sucks? Lets hope this regime signs a good OG in free agency. But Pouncey was a much needed pick, i just hope he isnt hyped up because of his brother. But he is the best OL in this draft.

Daniel Thomas was a great pick. Some say the most powerful runner in the draft. 6 foot, 230 pounds. Imagine having two bruising runningbacks (Thomas and Brown), then allowing Kory Sheets to be our speedster RB. Defenses will fear the running game.

Edmond Gates. The fastest WR in the draft, who cares if hes 25...Im 25 lol. A WR can last til past 35 in this league, so thats at least 10 years of productivity. He is the deep threat, speedster that we've been craving. A guy who can make life easier for Marshall and Bess to get open. Rest assured, safeties will be keeping an eye on Gates all game...thus allowing Marshall to get open.

Charles Clay. Another good pick, hes a powerful runner and an amazing pass catcher. I see him as both an RB and TE for us. I doubt he will ever be a starter, but he will fill in at RB and TE to give rests to our starters, and he will do just fine.

It seems to me Miami drafted guys with power, toughness, nastiness...guys who are tough to bring down. And honestly, Id rather pass on Mallett (like MANY other teams did), and wait til next year for talents like Luck or Barkley.

Lets not forget that Henne has terrible support. His interior OL didnt block for him, his receivers couldnt get open alot, and his runningame was mediocre. Now that Henne has better OL help, a young powerful runner, and a receiver who can be a deep threat and let Marshall get open...lets see how he does. Im glad this regime is giving Henne a 2nd chance, because like I said before, Id rather wait til next year and get Luck or Barkley who have "pro bowler" written all over him (Luck).

If Henne doesnt pan out, and next year the Dolphins DONT trade away their draft for Andrew Luck...i will then call this regime a failure lol.

I dont think people should jump the gun. Just because a guy was good in college, doesnt mean he'll be good in the NFL. That goes for everyone, even Luck. Jamarcus Russell, Matt Leinart and Alex Smith didnt pan out did they?

Overall, we got the best OL, the most powerful runner, and the fastest WR in the draft. Not bad if you ask me.

I hope this draft turns out as well as Ireland and all the homies think...but the thought of having Ingram and Mallett in the same backfield in exchange for a center who can't snap a shotgun and a upright runner who has fumble problems is just sickening...even more sickening is despite all Ireland and Sparano did this weekend ...we still have Henne under center. Ireland basically said he wasn't concerned enough to address the QB position. OK...EVERYBODY (especially Ireland) needs to re-watch the last game of the season vs. New England...yeah...we don't need a QB! (PURE SARCASM) :titanic:

CK...here is the quote that Ireland made:
“The board didn’t fall right for us to pick a quarterback. I didn’t feel like we were desperate for one, so we didn’t adjust our board to try to go after one.”

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/05/01/2194921/jeff-ireland-uses-draft-to-fill.html#ixzz1L6WbchwB

I agree with your grades whole heartly except I would have given the Thomas pick a C-. I could just imagine Ingram at HB and Mallett at QB...and to think we had it right in the palm of our hand!!!...One think is for sure...if the Fins don't make it to the playoffs this regime is toast!

Ahh, I want to give Thomas an A- so badly. I LOVE the fricking pick. Just LOVE it.

I love the way he glides, the way he catches the ball and can make multiple one-step cuts and the way he can do back cuts. I wanted this back more than anyone in the draft other than maybe Ingram. I dont even know if I wanted Ingram more. I might be the only one that loves it this much though.

Clay was a freaking beast pick and so was Kearse.

i just finished watching a draft where qbs got overdrafted out the nose...that fact that ryan mallett who has first round talent got passed over repeatedly when so many teams needed qbs and they STILL went a different direction speaks volumes to me...the risk for many teams wasn't worth it despite the dire need...the only team that did take the chance isn't gonna have him taking the field in the next 5 years or so anyways...they can afford to develop him...had miami taken ryan mallett there would have been pressure from the fans from ownership etc to throw him to the wolves from jump...i also heard that had beli not taken the chance mallett may well have fallen to the 5th round...the 5th round??? good god...there's more dirt on this kid than any of us know...gotta be

and with that on to 2012...and a likely top 12 pick season

meh...charles clay...a tweener pick b/t and h back and a te...lets face it green bay took our cookies when they plucked dj williams in the 5th despite a gluttony of te's on the roster

charles clay to me is a man without a position in the pros...the fact we traded up for him screamed desperation to me...not a fan

reminds me of dorin dickerson of pitt a year ago...

meh...charles clay...a tweener pick b/t and h back and a te...lets face it green bay took our cookies when they plucked dj williams in the 5th despite a gluttony of te's on the roster

charles clay to me is a man without a position in the pros...the fact we traded up for him screamed desperation to me...not a fan

reminds me of dorin dickerson of pitt a year ago...

Nahm, Dickerson was a lot less agile in the open field with a less compact body.

Nahm, Dickerson was a lot less agile in the open field with a less compact body.

not the player...the fact that he was another tweener...a man without a position...i'm just hoping green bay cuts dj williams at final cuts and we can scoop him up...

I wonder if the Packers might be willing to trade Quarless. Might be worth investigating.

I wonder if the Packers might be willing to trade Quarless. Might be worth investigating.

i don't understand why we didn't go to the pack after they took dj williams and offer up our 2 6ths for him...i doubt the pack would give up quarless cause if finley goes down again they have no big te with speed...

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

I rather have Clay than Williams to be honest.

i'd rather have the chris cooley look alike

Back
Top Bottom