Full dolphins report in yahoo sports: Detailed!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fisi, Feb 13, 2013.

1. fisi

fisi A True Fan Donator

Nublar7 likes this.
  2. PhishyPhishy

PhishyPhishy Well-Known Member

A good read but I do not agree with his assessment of Martin being incapable of moving to the left. I anticipate big things from him in his second year much like I expect from Vernon and Miller in year 2. We can not go offensive line in round 1, the fan base will revolt. Secondary or pass rusher in the first, 3 of our next 4 picks should be spent on offensive weapons. Rest of draft used to fill in backups on the offensive and defensive lines.

3. mega-fin-love

mega-fin-love Just trust me Donator

Good find bro. I agree with the above poster. If the draft started today I would like to see 3 of our first 4 picks be offensive playmakers with the other pick being corner or pass rusher. Free agency could of course change that. If we sign one of the good WR's before the draft then maybe 2 of the first 4 picks on ofensive play makers

4. PhinMagic

PhinMagic Banned Hammered

Excellent read, but his perception of the offensive line is putrid at best. I didn't see any drop off from Long to Martin. No thanks on the 10M per year

5. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I wouldn't be that mad with O-line in the first as long as they make a huge splash in free agency, like sign both Wallace and Jennings.

6. Tailgun

Tailgun John Edwards

If you look at what's available in free agency versus where the depth is in the draft, I'm more convinced than ever we will fill WR (and likely CB) in FA and that first pick will be on Ansah or Mingo. I'm also in agreement that the jury is still out on Martin at LT. Granted, he was cringeworthy at times (getting blown up.. by a corner?!?) but he deserves another offseason in the conditioning program building strength before we completely throw in the towel.

I'd love Mike Wallace and Jennings/Hartline coupled with BOTH Eifert and Ertz in the 2nd and Swopes in the 3rd (or Marquise Goodwin). Look, I know it won't happen, despite Sherman and Philbin both liking multiplie TE sets, but a guy can dream. (Hey, the Pats took two talented TEs back to back in the same draft and it worked, right?)

7. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Seasoned Veteran Hammered

Long was playing hurt, I believe. There was definite drop off with Martin, imo, but no way in hell it was 8 million dollars worth of drop off. They need to let Long go.

8. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

Oh so many directions to go. Can't wait until FA starts to see which path we go down! Also, the combine can't get here fast enough!

9. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

did you hear that everyobdy? the fan base will revolt and....and.... not show up to games. oh wait,

10. DzakkH13

DzakkH13 Winning is a Habit Donator

I have to agree with PhishyPhishy. No way you can go OL in round 1.

This year Ireland HAS to take a risk and draft an impact player at #12.

Whether that be a pass rusher, a WR, or a ballhawk DB, Ireland HAS to take a risk this year.

11. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

JI can sign his departure if he selects an O lineman in the 1st round. The booing Cam Cameron received for the Ginn family selection will be nothing compared to the response Ireland gets for an O lineman this year. And this could easily happen. JI is still a product of the Parcells school of drafting - rule #1) When in doubt on any draft pick go cornfed O lineman.

12. FINatic054

FINatic054 Scout Team

My wishful plan. .
    Trade back in the first and take eifert while also getting another 2nd. Now we have 3 2nd rounders. In the second, draft trufant, Rhodes, and terrance williams. Then in the third get Carradine and Bakhiatari.

13. Shaman

Shaman Well-Known Member

Depends. If he goes out and lands a big name free agent WR I don't think a lot of the fan base will be all that upset. And If he adds another quality player on top of that in FA I think the fan base will care even less and might, in fact, welcome it, especially if Long leaves.

14. finfan54

If Eric Fisher is at 12, you better take him or we will be the laughing stocks of the world. How can you lose your probowl LT have another one drop into your laps, who will cost way less than the prior and not sign him up?

That is pure stupidity. You would be passing up an instant starter for a 240lb DE? or a WR who looks awesome running end arounds and returning kicks for his big plays?

Sorry, that is just plain stupid. You take a player who locks down a position for years to come. There are only slim pickings of elite players in this draft and you pass up on this guy, oh for crying out loud, its like talking to children at the toy store.

15. finfan54

Thats exactly right. you picked a guy who locks down a position with no questions asked and get another pick to get more guys to lock down spots.

Anyone who trades up though is going higher than us in this draft. In fact, dont be surprised if we go up and take Fisher!

16. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

Thanks for posting bro!

17. FINatic054

FINatic054 Scout Team

Yes. I think the only two players that would be possibilities to trade up for for the Fins would be Millner or Fisher. I personally would not like to see us trade up..especially to take another offensive lineman

18. Chuck-182

Chuck-182 Well-Known Member

Words cannot express how much rage I would feel if this happened

19. PhishyPhishy

You do not need an all pro left tackle to be successful in this league, in fact I would argue that Guards are becoming more important in offenses today then the tackles. If we go with another number one o-linemen then yea we get him cheap for the first couple seasons and then we are looking at giving him a gigantic contract which handcuffs our ability to get and retain skill position players or you let him walk and start the cycle all over again like we are doing with Long this year. Take a couple linemen later in the draft and go after some proven free agents, spread the money you would have spent all on Long, or on Fischer to keep him, on making your entire line better not just one spot.

Say what you will and call me crazy but I would not take Fischer in the 1st round, in fact I would have to be pretty well set at all the skill positions before I even consider taking a linemen in the first round because no matter how important they are to the team, they will never win a game for you. You only have so many opportunities to get that game changing player and your best shot is the first round of the draft each year. We have spent 3 of our past 8 1st round picks on linemen and our team has seen little to no success in that time period and only the most recent selection is still on the team. Of course another reason for this is we are terrible at hitting on anything in the first round. Other than Tannehill (fingers crossed) we have not hit on a first round skill player since 93 OJ Mcduffie. Some may argue Ronnie Brown but I am not one of them.

My offensive line for the next season has Martin LT, Levitre LG, Pouncey C, Jerry RG, Incognito RT. I would be completely comfortable starting Tannehill behind this line as he airs it out to all the new weapons we drafted him. Draft a tackle late to eventually replace Incog.

20. tthorpe13

tthorpe13 Well-Known Member

I really like your idea for our line next year. I would switch Incog and Jerry though.

21. PhishyPhishy

Yea it could go either way on the right side. I gave Incog the nod for now since he does have some NFL experience playing RT.

22. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Hopefully the Coaching staff did see it, because if the plan is to go into the season with Martin as the starting LT, we will be picking pretty high again next year.

I agree we can't pay Long 10 mil or more, but Miami needs to make him an offer (whatever their evaluation is that he deserves to make) if he is found to be healthy, if he does not take it, Miami needs to get a Vet O-linemen that can play L-tackle, at least until Martin is ready.

23. bird33

bird33 Well-Known Member

what games were you folks who say there is a tremendous drop off between long & martin watching??? what cause he got bulldozed one play in san fran? the last game of the season the whole line was AWFUL! long was mediocre at best the whole year. no f*****g way in hell i give him a big contract. martin showed a lot of promise at lt. the eric fisher talk at 12 is typical. we'll be picking high if martin is the lt next year is pretty hilarious.

24. Tailgun

Tailgun John Edwards

Count me as one of those peasants at the gates with a torch if we take another o-lineman with the #12 pick. Clearly, WRs and CBs can be had aplenty in FA. Where the FA market is thin is at DE. Ireland simply has to be looking at a pass rusher with that 1st round pick.

As for the line, I say give Martin another four months in that weight room to see how he looks with an entire offseason at the LT position - where he was always more comfortable to begin with. The dark horse FA signing of this year could very well not be a TE or WR but instead be Andy Levitre. Richie Incognito went to the Pro Bowl this year at LG and everyone (including Incognito himself) says he's even better at RG. Richie has been a pleasant surprise in the ZB scheme, often pulling and getting to the second level in 2012. Kick Jerry out to RT to compete with Will Yeatman and I'll gamble that one of them will shine in training camp.

Spend all early round picks on TE, WR, DE, CB (and FS if Clemons isn't re-signed). Spend your day 3 picks on reaches like Lattimore or the Honey Badger (if they fall) and depth o-linemen.