Fun Group Conversations: Which Assistants... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fun Group Conversations: Which Assistants...

ChambersWI

Going Ghost
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
...Could we potentially see leave us for job promotions? Now First and foremost, Mike Sherman is ineligible for the list as he has already been a head coach in the NFL. Please list why you feel these guys could be promoted in some way.

Here's my list.

Kevin Coyle DC While our D statistically gives up a lot of yards, I do like what Kevin Coyle has done and feel that if our D continues to improve that he will become a hot candidate to become a head coach. This is a guy I was surprised Cincy let walk as they have been denying teams interviews to make him DC for about 5 years. I think they saw him as the guy to take over if/when Mike Zimmer became a head coach.

Kacy Rodgers Honestly, have there been many DL coaches better than Rodgers since he joined us if there are any better than him? Back before we hired Mike Nolan, I actually endorsed the idea of promoting Rodgers to DC and when Philbin was hired as head coach, Rodgers was the number 1 coach I didn't want to lose. I honestly feel that Rodgers ability to develop d-linemen while switching schemes from a 3-4 to 4-3 have earned him the chance to be a DC in the league. Will he be a HC candidate in the future? Who knows, but this man is deserving of looks at DC.

Darren Rizzi Rizzi almost left us to take the Rutgers head coaching job before Frost was named HC. This was the 2nd guy I didn't want to lose. Rizzi was seen as a scape goat when our ST sucked under Bonamogo as he was the assistant and when Bonamogo got fired the ST still struggled a bit. However since then, our ST has gone from a weakness to a huge strength even with Carp's struggles this season. Our kicking (10th), Punting (2nd), and return game (6th) are all top 10 in the league. ST coaches don't normally get looks to be head coach, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve one.

Jeff Nixon While our RBs have been up and down a bit, I do think Nixon has done a decent job in helping to develop Reggie, DT, and Miller as each in their time this year has shown some improvement in different areas. Still very young as a coach (before coming to us as RB coach last year he was only assistant ST coach in Philly), but has good potential.

Lou Anarumo Anarumo was a highly respected DB coach in college and saw his players consistently get picked up by NFL teams. While Coyle deserves a lot of credit for the secondary's improvement, Anarumo deserves a lot as well for being the position coach and working on the players technique. Could easily get a look at DC

Jim Turner Known as a great OL coach in the college ranks. Was a guy Urban Meyer actively wanted to get to be the Buckeyes OL coach, but Turner didn't want to leave Texas unless he went pro. The OL has shown constant improvement under Turner and we all know what he did for John Jerry's development. Being an OL coach will hold him back, but both our HC and OC started as OL coaches and ended up being pretty good and aggressive OCs. Then again, our old HC was an OL coach as well so there is a negative side to everything

I think the only one likely to go soon is Mike Sherman, who is only really slumming it as an o.c. because of his friendship with Philbin.

Not worried about any of these guys getting the call...how many guys from Sparano's first staff in 2008 got the call for taking a 1-15 team to 11-5? One season is normally not enough to build a resume on.

I see the potential of 9 head coaches getting fired after the season:

Carolina, Dallas, Philly, San Diego, KC, Cleveland, Cinci, Buffalo and the Jets.

Thats a lot of opportunity for promotion and if there was one coach I think could move on, even with only a year as a coordinator, its Coyle.

Not worried about any of these guys getting the call...how many guys from Sparano's first staff in 2008 got the call for taking a 1-15 team to 11-5? One season is normally not enough to build a resume on.

2 got interviews but were passed up; Todd Bowles and Paul Pasqualoni. Hell the Rams wanted to interview Bowles this year but we denied them (obviously he was just to satisfy Rooney rule)

The point of the thread was to see if anybody felt any of our guys are good enough to me promoted.

I see the potential of 9 head coaches getting fired after the season:

Carolina, Dallas, Philly, San Diego, KC, Cleveland, Cinci, Buffalo and the Jets.

Thats a lot of opportunity for promotion and if there was one coach I think could move on, even with only a year as a coordinator, its Coyle.
Cinci is not getting rid of Marvin Lewis...this is classic Marvin Lewis...in the playoffs one year, out the next, in the playoffs the following year...it's a cyclical pattern with him.

If San Diego fires Turner and Philly fires Reid...Reid will be San Diego's new coach.

Don't see the Jets giving up on Rex Ryan just yet. He has the built in excuse of injuries to key players. He will get another season.

You're basically looking at Philly, KC, Dallas, Carolina, Buffalo and Cleveland...which is still very high...normally turnover is about 4 in a season. I think there was only 4 last year (Oakland, Rams, Indy and us). The Broncos OC was a hot name last year...he will get a lot of play this year. Zimmer will get another shot this go around as well. Saban is being talked about in Cleveland although I highly doubt he leaves college. Bruce Ariens has taken the Colts to a 3-1 record as interim coach...he should get some action. I would think that the OC and DC in San Fran will get some looks. Kevin Gilbride got some looks last year and could be in play again this year.

It'll be interesting to see if Sherman generates any buzz. Statistically this offense is going to be awful, even if Tannehill keeps progressing at an amazing rate, and his last head coaching gig did not end well. I think it'll take a couple years to clean off the stench, and even then the interest will probably come more from college than the pros. I'm not sure Sherman wants to go through that again.

As high as Dolphin fans are on their team right now I don't think the team is good enough for the younger assistant coaches to generate much buzz. There's no wunderkind Garrett or Payton or McDaniels that'll make a fanbase swoon. And there isn't any facet at the game where the phins are dominant or innovative.....its just not an exciting team.

2 got interviews but were passed up; Todd Bowles and Paul Pasqualoni. Hell the Rams wanted to interview Bowles this year but we denied them (obviously he was just to satisfy Rooney rule)

The point of the thread was to see if anybody felt any of our guys are good enough to me promoted.
Bowles has always been used to fill the Rooney rule...as sad as that is. If he turns the Eagles defense around he may get some legit shots this time around...could save Andy Reids job too.

Cinci is not getting rid of Marvin Lewis...this is classic Marvin Lewis...in the playoffs one year, out the next, in the playoffs the following year...it's a cyclical pattern with him.

If San Diego fires Turner and Philly fires Reid...Reid will be San Diego's new coach.

Don't see the Jets giving up on Rex Ryan just yet. He has the built in excuse of injuries to key players. He will get another season.

You're basically looking at Philly, KC, Dallas, Carolina, Buffalo and Cleveland...which is still very high...normally turnover is about 4 in a season. I think there was only 4 last year (Oakland, Rams, Indy and us). The Broncos OC was a hot name last year...he will get a lot of play this year. Zimmer will get another shot this go around as well. Saban is being talked about in Cleveland although I highly doubt he leaves college. Bruce Ariens has taken the Colts to a 3-1 record as interim coach...he should get some action. I would think that the OC and DC in San Fran will get some looks. Kevin Gilbride got some looks last year and could be in play again this year.

Vic Fangio (9ers DC) has reportedly come out and said he has no interest in being a head coach. The OC Roman though might be, he almost got the Penn State job. I don't think Arians is that interested. Gillbride... it's funny for as good of an OC he has been for the Giants, only Al Davis ever showed interest in him

This is a great topic. By far one of the biggest strengths is the excellent teaching job our position coaches have done. Interestingly, we hired some college position coaches. I wondered about that, but the teaching results have been remarkable compared to what we have seen. I thought that Saban had some strength in his position coaches, and perhaps not coincidentally, he also reached into the college ranks for good teaching position coaches.

The guys whose work speaks for itself, in particular:

1. Kacy Rodgers: yes he is working with talent, but this guy is first rate all the way around. He commands respect. His guys play hard, and well. Excellent coach.

2. Lou Anarumo: I can't believe what I am seeing from the secondary. Nolan Carroll has much better balance and is trusting his athletic ability. I am not ready to say he is a bona fide NFL starter, but maybe he is. The D has been better with him than Marshall. Jimmy Wilson is doing strong work in the slot. Sean Smith is becoming a top rate number one corner. Reshad Jones still struggles with geometry and missed a bad angle yesterday that hurt us. But overall he has improved tremendously. Clemons is playing about as well as he is capable of. That's alot of moving parts that are all working well. Granted Coyle is a factor here, but give Anarumo credit.

3. Jimmy Turner has done good work. Pouncey is one of the best players in the league, any position. Jonathan Martin is a work in progress but you see development. Same thing with Jerry. Considering where this group was, give Turner credit.

4. Wunderkind Zach Taylor has done good work considering what a kid he is. He looks like a baby out there, but can't complain.

5. I like Dan Campbell. But considering how poorly Clay has played, and how Egnew can't get on the field, the results haven't been there.

Having said that, I am not sure how many are a threat to leave. Teaching at a position and coordinating an offense or defense are two different animals. Sherman could get a head coaching opportunity, because he deserves one. Zach could go with him as the S-I-L. Keeping in mind that Turner came with Sherman from the Ag school in Texas, he could bolt with Sherman too, but I hope not. The chemistry amongst the coaches has been great this year.

Back
Top Bottom