Gabe Kapler: Hazing/Bullying in Baseball | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gabe Kapler: Hazing/Bullying in Baseball

BahamaFinFan78

Active Roster
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...ying-and-ribbing-in-a-baseball-journey-111413

One of the more interesting lines:

"Although I vowed to myself that I would never be the ringleader of any similar incident, I began to authentically connect with the idea that through ribbing, hazing and light illumination of faults, coming of age can occur. In some cases, this can even speed up player development as toughness off the field can spill over into plate appearances. No way to quantify, of course, but I can attest to feeling more confident after understanding banter and thereby feeling more connected to my teammates; the chest puffed out slightly further is always beneficial on the field.
The confidence is derived through fitting in societally, being accepted. I’ve finally fulfilled my rite of passage; now I belong. Now I can go play and know my teammates are beneath me, partially supporting my weight."

and another:

"Kevin Youkilis suggested to me that the most abusive bullies on the block are the fans and the media.
“The amount of verbal abuse an athlete hears from opposing fans and sometimes their own is amazing,” Youkilis said. “The problem is, people don’t recognize this is the same thing that goes on in the clubhouse, tearing down individuals all the time.”
I realized after some deeper conversation with Kevin that he thinks everyone should be held equally accountable, from the players to the fans to the media.
WHAT IS TOO FAR?
I can remember being in right field in Yankee Stadium and fans armed with media guides called out my family by their names and said absolutely unrepeatable things. I laughed to myself and it never bothered me"

So when the Bengals fans were booing them in the 1st quarter Sunday are we saying they were bullying the players? What the freak has happened to this country? This sure as heck isn't the same country I served in the Military...not the one I would have laid my life down for.

So when the Bengals fans were booing them in the 1st quarter Sunday are we saying they were bullying the players? What the freak has happened to this country? This sure as heck isn't the same country I served in the Military...not the one I would have laid my life down for.
This

No I think he talking about when fans show up to players homes and harass them, or when the media makes stuff up and prints it as fact.....well that's what I hope he means anyways.....

I think he was just meaning that fans in the stands sometimes say worse stuff than is said in the locker room. I agree; that's workplace harrasment; should we sue them too?

Back
Top Bottom