Gannon impressed with phins/tannehill, says philbin ran best camp he ever saw

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinatic1399, Oct 5, 2012.

1. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

“I’m encouraged by the Dolphins,” Gannon said in an interview Thursday. “You don’t want to say they got off to a great start because they’re 1-3, but they could easily be 3-1. And that they’re doing it with a rookie quarterback I think speaks volumes with what this team can accomplish.”
    Gannon pointed out that the Dolphins have a mind-boggling run differential – averaging 153 yards on the ground per game, while only allowing 56 yards per game – and that coach Joe Philbin ran “one of the best training camp practices I ever saw.” He sees a team that doesn’t know how to finish games off now, but will soon.
    “I think this team learned how to practice and compete, and doing it in that environment in the heat and humidity,” Gannon said. “I think you’re going to see a much different team as the season goes along, a team that gets stronger and knows how to finish. You had a team that had no reason to play in the second half of the year last year, and they finished really well, and I think there’s some character on that team, I really do.”
    Of course, Gannon’s positive impression of the Dolphins starts with rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill who despite a 2:6 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a 66.4 passer rating has played far better than anyone expected of him this season.
    “You look at a guy that played some receiver in college, had only 19 starts, I think your first thought is, ‘Geez, what’s the learning curve going to be like?’” Gannon said. “And to think that if they could just finish a game they’d be 3-1 right now, it’s kind of amazing.”
    Gannon said Tannehill’s ability at the line of scrimmage far surpasses his experience.
    “The communication with this guy before the snap – in the shotgun, he’s redirecting the line, changing protection, making the right calls, all those type of things that typically that take off of a young quarterback,” Gannon said. “I think that the continuity around him (with the coaching staff) has helped him, but there’s no question he’s a sharp kid. I’m very impressed with how well he’s done so far.”
    Gannon said Tannehill actually reminds him of his opponent this week – Cincinnati quarterback Andy Dalton, who led his team to the playoffs as a rookie and has the Bengals at 3-1 this year.
    “I’m not ready to christen him yet, but he reminds me a little bit of Dalton,” Gannon said. “He makes a mistake, throws an interception, something happens, and it doesn’t phase him, and that’s one of the best attributes that Dalton has. I think we’re seeing that out of Ryan. He’s got great confidence and the ability to turn the page, whether it’s good or bad.”
    “If you go back and look at a couple of the interceptions – the first one he threw in the Houston game, my gosh, it’s a terrible route. The guy doesn’t finish the route, and Ryan throws it in there and it gets picked off. You can fault the quarterback I suppose, but I think when you start judging the position and you say what’s the most important thing about playing the quarterback position – decision making – I think he’s been pretty steady.”

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...phins-and-very-impressed-with-ryan-tannehill/

2. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Tannehill may need more time, but im sold on Philbin and have been for a long time.

3. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

We're in good hands with a cerebral yet pragmatic coach, motivator and teacher with a plan... and of course, one of the most promising young QBs to come out in the last several years.

I posted yesterday that IMO, Coach Joe is much more critical to the success of this franchise than Ireland, especially since it's obvious that he's influencing Ireland's picks. Consequently I'd rather keep Ireland than run the risk of having his replacement hire a new HC and lose Philbin and his staff.

4. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

Couldn't agree more :up:

5. ATL_PHIN_FAN

ATL_PHIN_FAN Winner Under Construction

Agreed. My take is that as long as Philbin is comfortable working with Ireland, who are we to say Ireland should go? I think Philbin will have a lot of say with Ross as to whether Ireland stays or goes.

6. njFinsForever

njFinsForever Offensive Mindset

It is nice to finally have a cerebral coach. Aside from Saban who have we had the past decade? I agree as long as Philbin plays a major role in the players we bring in, this team will be in good hands

7. 1972fins

1972fins Well-Known Member

If this team starts winning you can be sure Ireland will be reporting to Philbin.
    I haven't felt this good about the Dolphins in a decade.
    Think about the Jets O that was our HC, and the Bills D that was HC, there was no hope, feel bad for Zach and JT.

8. slickrickpuppy

slickrickpuppy Banned Hammered

“If you go back and look at a couple of the interceptions – the first one he threw in the Houston game, my gosh, it’s a terrible route. The guy doesn’t finish the route,...YEAH PUNANEE WE KNOW!

9. buxster07

buxster07 A True Fan

Great points. Agrees, perhaps Philbin can help Ireland in his job too / help learn to pick more talented players. If so, I wouldn't mind terribly if Ireland is retained- that of course unless Philbin knows / has someone in mind that could be more complimentary.

10. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

One of my favorite things about Philbin is his "it's not that complicated" approach. Practices in South Florida heat don't have to go on for hours..he made them 30 minutes short of the time limit. Efficient. He doesn't seem to take things so seriously; he goes for it on 4th down and goal. He's smart enough to be ahead of the curve, but understands that when you run an organization professionally, and deal with and hire professionals, who act professionally..the culture regulates itself.

11. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

if only we could learn how to close games ASAP

12. cullenbigcstill

cullenbigcstill FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

You have to learn how to win close games. Experience will help this young team to get over that hump when they are ready to be good. They aren't there yet. But we have the coaching staff to get there. We have the QB, who is getting better by the week, we added another threat at reciever.

I have stated this ina few other threads but dont understate the presence and power of Sherman. Sherman has experience with player and personnel in GB, and did very well at it. I believe as more of Shermans choices continue to do well, his power in personnel decisions will only continue to get stronger possibly leading to ireland being the "face of the GM" and Sherman being the "Brain."

Interesting to see how we are becoming an offensive force and peculiar in how GB's offense has been struggling a little, off-cylinder if you will.

13. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

I agree with Gannon in that Tanny has shown no fear.
    He has never looked rattled or that the game is to big for him.

14. KTDolphins

KTDolphins You have made me angry very angry indeed

First Dilfer, now Gannon, I love all the praise T-Hill is getting, he deserves it! Breaking Marino's rookie record is no sign of a slouch IMO.

15. metalman32060

metalman32060 Misplaced PhinFan

Not so sure that Philbin will be doing talent evaluation, head coaching job takes enough of his time. But what he will do is make it clear to Ireland what type of players he wants and needs for his team. It's still up to the scouting department to find the type of talent Philbin needs.

16. buxster07

buxster07 A True Fan

So in the draft day "war room," are you saying Philbin will have no idea what each potential candidate is capable of and he won't form an opinion and thus not be able to provide Ireland any influence as to whom to pick (e.g. say we were looking for a QB as example)?

17. CRAZYDOLFAN305

CRAZYDOLFAN305 We Are Still Going To The SB

Of course he will know, the job of a good GM is picking there right players for scheme and coaches .

18. buxster07

buxster07 A True Fan

That's my point, where Philbin would be able to impact the selection / have influence- particularly with his offensive background and offensive players he'd prefer out of a group Ireland's crew has gathered as "potential draft picks"- as opposed to another's suggestion that Philbin is only head coaching (not influencing picks) those who are picked by Ireland.

If it is stated in the media somewhere that Philbin has no say in player selection, I'd be glad to read it, and stand corrected, in case I missed it.

19. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

I love how quick people are to villify Ireland for selecting players previously, yet with this draft class, people are willing to give the credit to Philbin because "clearly the HC has input on his players"

Where was this apparent influence with Sparano?

20. buxster07

buxster07 A True Fan

In your view, is their no gray area in the matter? Or is it black or white, a coach either has partial influence or none at all?

For instance, do you think Sherman had no impact on the selection of Tannehill? Or when Tannehill worked out and the coaches & gm were there to view, the coaches present didn't say anything at all to each other? Perhaps had duck tape over mouths or something? If the like, might we view evidence in a media report / weblink for accuracy in claim?

21. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

said it hte 2nd it happened, NaNaee caused the INT, the ****ing **** didn't run the route right, didnt' finish it, than doesn't go after the ball and waits for the ball.

The biggest downfall of our season isn't ANYONE or ANYTHING BUT Ireland. You are tlelin gme a baboon running this offseason wouldn't come away with 1 decent DB and WR and woulddn't have cut NaNaee after practice #1?

and you BETTER believe he did nothing to get Tanne in Miami, i can promise you it was all the HC, OC, and Ross NOOOOOT ****land. If that ****ing baboon had his way it would have been status quo with Gerrard as the new guy.

Biggest downfall in Miami history is that dip ****. I think finheaven should have a national party when this **** face gets fired one day. No Joke, I think the Finheaven front page should have balloons and champagne and all sorts of crap like that just to celebrate a great day in Miami Dolphins history. I bet you will see record breaking traffic on thsi board too so the admin and mods would like it ;)

In my entire life of EVERYTHING I have never see a grou pof people get abanner and fly it saying pleae fire someone. That shows how much hate he has brought to a proud franchise and frustration to a fan base already frustrated for over a decade. if it weren't for Tannehill this season would have been an utter DISgRACE and to have ****land take credit for it is a crime in itself

22. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

I think the problem with sparano was he had no direction or real system. He had the ground and pound mentality. That's why we were drafting linemen left and right. Phil in has made it clear what kind of team and players he wants. Now that Ireland, or whoever, has picked tannehill and he seems to be the real deal he can now build around him. I think the future is looking a whole lot brighter with the amount of picks we got in the first 3 rounds

23. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Ok so far Gannon likes RT17, Marino thinks we can built a team around him, Warner likes him a lot and Jaws loves him. I know I've missed a few; sometimes it's hard to keep focus when Ryan's hard-wired detractors are clouding the air misfiring on the smoke they're trying to blow up everyone else's azzes. Either way, that's not a bad group of SB starting QBs and (sometimes) savvy analysts who are in his corner, eh?