gase gaining power over tannenbaum? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

gase gaining power over tannenbaum?

isaacjunk

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
After this bevy of moves, does any one get the feeling that Gase is gaining more and more power and Tannenbaum less? The set of FA moves just seems less like Tannenbaum's personality---smarter deals, more good-value vs big splash type signings, and a better match to what Gase himself seems to want in his schemes than some of the deals we'd seen in the past. For once there aren't any real headscratchers or new obviously bloated contracts.

Also, I wonder if a lot of the cap casualities were influenced by Gase---many of them are effectively forcing Tannenbaum to admit he overpaid for several star players. Doesn't seem like his personality to do that...Not to mention for several of the moves we'd heard contradictory reports (Pouncey won't be released, Suh is part of this team) before unexpected releases were granted points to perhaps a power struggle of sorts.

Which brings me to...if Stephen Ross has really hitched his wagon to Gase more than Tannenbaum then I feel way better about the future of this franchise. If we have Gase to serve as a check to Tannenbaum's moves, as well as finding players that really fit what Gase is trying to do, I think that more than anything could serve as the foundation to a perennial playoff team

giphy.gif

I think most of these moves were tied to the reality of the situation. The cap situation meant that another splash signing like Suh or Mike Wallace was never in the cards.

Was cutting Pouncey a Gase move? He professed massive amounts of man love for Pouncey at every opportunity. Was Sitton a Gase move? I thought he didn’t value the guard position very highly. I guess the new coaches from the Bears who coached Sitton may have gotten into Gase’s ear and recommended that signing.

If Landry wanted $8M per year, would he still be on the team? I think so. At $15.9M, it blew up any free agency plans. We can speculate that Gase didn’t want Landry back, but I think financial aspect was the driver.

No one knows for sure what’s happening in the F/O with these moves that have been made. It seems different than in the past. Bringing in Vets with leadership qualities over high priced mercenaries? The smart dollar approach is very appealing in a sense, because it allows the team to bring in more quality players. I’ve read, Tannenbaum, believes you anchor a team with at least 1 high quality and highly paid player on both sides of the ball. But he screwed the pooch with a $114m contract. Suh wasn’t the problem, he’s a great player, the problem was his contract, helped, put the Kabosh, on the teams ability to spread the wealth on fielding a better O-line and Linebacker unit. Now the team seems to be moving in the right direction financially. But we’ll have to wait and see how it all works out. If it’s Gase or Tannenbaum we may never know?

Last edited:
I remember one of Gase’s pressers where he was asked about making a big move in FA, and his reply was we are not going to do that anymore. So yes OP, I think you have it right.

Reactions: BSQ
I love how people think if the team made a move or pick they disagree with it's because of Tannenbaum and if they make a pick they agree with somebody else gets credit. Almost as funny as how people use say Ireland did a horrible job of acquiring talent and then would turn around and say Phibin had to go because he was finishing .500 with a playoff caliber roster. Somehow the team had no talent and a playoff caliber roster at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: BSQ
I wish Dolphins fans would stop looking for a villain to blame everything on, all the time.

This also extends to the annual player punching bag for underperforming guys who are routinely crucified around here.

Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion or calling guys out, but sometimes it can go overboard.

That said I do think the OP raises a valid question that I don’t think any of us will ever really know the answer to.

After this bevy of moves, does any one get the feeling that Gase is gaining more and more power and Tannenbaum less? The set of FA moves just seems less like Tannenbaum's personality---smarter deals, more good-value vs big splash type signings, and a better match to what Gase himself seems to want in his schemes than some of the deals we'd seen in the past. For once there aren't any real headscratchers or new obviously bloated contracts.

Also, I wonder if a lot of the cap casualities were influenced by Gase---many of them are effectively forcing Tannenbaum to admit he overpaid for several star players. Doesn't seem like his personality to do that...Not to mention for several of the moves we'd heard contradictory reports (Pouncey won't be released, Suh is part of this team) before unexpected releases were granted points to perhaps a power struggle of sorts.

Which brings me to...if Stephen Ross has really hitched his wagon to Gase more than Tannenbaum then I feel way better about the future of this franchise. If we have Gase to serve as a check to Tannenbaum's moves, as well as finding players that really fit what Gase is trying to do, I think that more than anything could serve as the foundation to a perennial playoff team
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
How do you know that the gameplan to identify, coordinate and implement everything was not Tannenbaum's handiwork? We have heard all along that Tannenbaum, Grier and Gase work really well as a trio. That is what I think occurred. We have a lot of posters here on FH who seem to want to see Tannenbaum fail and everything he does is derided. My hunch is that old Mike actually did a lot of the smart work to plan everything we saw the other day. That is why he gets paid the big bucks.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
How do you know that the gameplan to identify, coordinate and implement everything was not Tannenbaum's handiwork? We have heard all along that Tannenbaum, Grier and Gase work really well as a trio. That is what I think occurred. We have a lot of posters here on FH who seem to want to see Tannenbaum fail and everything he does is derided. My hunch is that old Mike actually did a lot of the smart work to plan everything we saw the other day. That is why he gets paid the big bucks.
Well I hope your wrong and the poster of this thread is correct because Tbums trail of the time he spent with the Browns and Jets is long and stinkey before he got here.

I think the 2016 draft was hugely Gase.

Tunsil. Drake. Grant. Carroo...Gase was getting his guys to eventually replace the guys we had. No doubt that our FO had to do with those picks too...but I feel like this FA is similar to that year. They're working to continue to clean house and give Gase his guys.

It definitely feels similar. Lets hope it works.

Gase doing player evals??... Grier is workin hard.. hoping for Mathieu.. then we can draft & devolp another FS

Back
Top Bottom