Gase: "Our offense has been garbage for 2 years" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase: "Our offense has been garbage for 2 years"

So you think Cutler is the only problem here? I'm just not sure Moore would do any better with the o-line being pushed back all day long. So many people saying our o-line would be so much better but the only new face really is Steen instead of Albert

Ozzy rules!!

No. My view is that they don't have a better TE available than Thomas, the WRs are the WRs, Ajayi isn't going to be replaced. If they had better OL on the depth chart why aren't those guys starting?

They don't have a ton of options to improve. Getting on the same page as Cutler is probably the biggest thing they can accomplish.

Again guys, you can blame the QB all day but if you do that then are we going to blame Ajayi too? The o-line was horrible by their own admision. Pouncey and Bushrod pretty much said it but of course it's not their fault that Tunsil was "tired"

Ozzy rules!!

No. My view is that they don't have a better TE available than Thomas, the WRs are the WRs, Ajayi isn't going to be replaced. If they had better OL on the depth chart why aren't those guys starting?

They don't have a ton of options to improve. Getting on the same page as Cutler is probably the biggest thing they can accomplish.
Ok, I agree that there not much we can do now in terms of playing other guys, specially up front. One thing I'd do is give Grant a few snaps to see if he can provide a spark at some point.

Ozzy rules!!

Honestly I'm not sure what he can do. But to me its been clear he spends too much time hiding his QBs. He plays it not to lose instead of playing to win

He calls too many screen passes. I actually went back and looked at his work with the 2014 Broncos, and they called a lot of screens then, too. They executed them better and did more damage with them because the offense was a lot more dynamic and teams were playing scared of them.

But he needs to stop calling them. See: http://finheaven.com/threads/we-are-a-terrible-screen-pass-team.339662/

I'm a big fan of the Al Davis philosophy: Run the ball to get some push back against the defensive line, and throw it deep.

Glad he called it like it is, but he has to bare some of responsibility. Bringing in Julius Thomas who's not known for his run blocking really hurts this team. If he's in the game teams know we won't run the ball on the side he's lined up for, TE blocking is very important for our offensive scheme, we should have kept Sims.

Cutler looked like absolute poop, and the play calling was terrible, maybe that's why RT told him what plays would not work but he was going to open up the golden playbook with Cutler what I saw yesterday made wonder what this coach is thinking

He calls too many screen passes. I actually went back and looked at his work with the 2014 Broncos, and they called a lot of screens then, too. They executed them better and did more damage with them because the offense was a lot more dynamic and teams were playing scared of them.

But he needs to stop calling them. See: http://finheaven.com/threads/we-are-a-terrible-screen-pass-team.339662/

I'm a big fan of the Al Davis philosophy: Run the ball to get some push back against the defensive line, and throw it deep.

All depends on when they're called. Averaging 5 or 6 yards on screens on 1st an 10 is a lot different than averaging in on 3rd and long. I look at a lot of the screens as running plays and I would say their yards per play has been equal or higher than our yards per rush attempt. Sure some are going to stopped for a 2 or 3 yard gain and some are going to tackled for a loss, but just like running plays they slow down the opposing pass rush and are fairly safe calls. Sure I would like them to be more effective, but I think the offense has much bigger issues than the screen game.

I think Ajayi's knee is actually more injured than he is letting on. He's such a beast that he probably doesn't want to whine about it.

All depends on when they're called. Averaging 5 or 6 yards on screens on 1st an 10 is a lot different than averaging in on 3rd and long. I look at a lot of the screens as running plays and I would say their yards per play has been equal or higher than our yards per rush attempt. Sure some are going to stopped for a 2 or 3 yard gain and some are going to tackled for a loss, but just like running plays they slow down the opposing pass rush and are fairly safe calls. Sure I would like them to be more effective, but I think the offense has much bigger issues than the screen game.

I don't think that screens have the same amount of value as running plays. A screen is blocked differently, and attacks a different part of the defense/is defended differently. I honestly believe that a 3 yard power run is a far more valuable play to pile up over the course of a game than a 3 yard screen pass.

I'm not talking about the three yards and a cloud of dust offense here, incidentally. I hate that stuff, too. But we saw our offense last season have some pretty fun and exciting games when we followed that formula of Ajayi + deep passing and managed to execute it well. I would hope that we can get back to that.

Now, I agree with you that screens are something that can slow the opposing pass rush, but there are other ways to slow the pass rush. I understand that Cutler and the team might not be capable of running the hurry up right now, but as others have said many times (hi, hoops!) tempo has proved time and again to be a way to slow down the pass rush. We've seen this especially in the performance of our Dolphins in the 2 minute drill in recent years.

I think that if we cut back on the number of screen pass plays we call (currently about 7-8% of our called plays), and replace those with runs, we would see better results over the course of the game.

Incidentally, this is one reason why we needed to invest in another running back. I like Damien Williams as a receiving threat, but I don't think he is the real solution as a guy to spell Jay Ajayi.

Back
Top Bottom