********** gator football *********** | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

********** gator football ***********

Sometimes I forget that uf has a football team....

Sometimes I forget that uf has a football team....

ThIs one I know ...

Sometimes I forget how to break into girls' dorm rooms and take dumps in their hampers, but then I call your boy davenport and everyone sleeps easy.

You guys may have a tough road ahead to repeat as the East champs. I love McIlwain but he only has 2 games to get a QB ready for the trip to Tennessee and that's not going to be easy. What does the future hold at QB as far as recruiting?

We have Jake Allen coming in from Aquinas next year which is supposed to be a solid pickup, but he probably won't be ready anytime soon. Luke Del Rio has 3 years of eligibility left if I'm not mistaken. Franks did not look anywhere near ready in the spring game. Still a bit of a question mark for us sadly.

This post would be more insightful but I am drunk now.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: So now Cyontai Lewis and Jalen Tabor are suspended for getting a fight in the locker room. One story is that Lewis swung a helmet at him and it required some stitches. This is one of those years where I'm thankful our opening game opponent isn't any good.

And in other news, LDR officially named the starter.

For some unfounded reason I'm less horrified by him than the last umpteen QBs. I'm sure the faith I have in Mac and his offensive staff that was absent in previous groups plays a part, but I'm almost confident we won't have to deal with a bumbling, inept offense this season. I know the line will be better. Definitely enough talent on offense to avoid the 'well if only' talk. Should be a pleasant change.

For some unfounded reason I'm less horrified by him than the last umpteen QBs. I'm sure the faith I have in Mac and his offensive staff that was absent in previous groups plays a part, but I'm almost confident we won't have to deal with a bumbling, inept offense this season. I know the line will be better. Definitely enough talent on offense to avoid the 'well if only' talk. Should be a pleasant change.

The things I wouldn't do for us to finally not suck at that position.

Callaway good to go for Saturday. Sounds like Chris Thompson is the "mystery senior" suspended so there goes our best punt gunner. Oh well. Hope the field isn't too soggy from the incoming storm.

Callaway good to go for Saturday. Sounds like Chris Thompson is the "mystery senior" suspended so there goes our best punt gunner. Oh well. Hope the field isn't too soggy from the incoming storm.

Well, it's pouring so the field was gonna be sloppy regardless. Good first drive for del rio. Loved how they went deep the first play of the game as a nod to spurrier. This offense is lost without callaway.

They are flying around out there. I know it's the first game of the year and you guys are pumped, but don't get hurt against umass please.

Lots of weird stuff going on in this game. Not running it like we should with 5 deep at back. Del Rio has like 40 pass attempts already. Plus he looks uncomfortable as hell back there after that first drive. Throw a bomb first play of the game then check down every pass attempt after that? Just run the damn ball if you're gonna throw an inaccurate 3 yard pass anyhow. Not looking great.

Confidence ... waning.

Holy **** we looked sluggish, but a win is a win. Would have reeeeally sucked to lose on the night they named the field after Spurrier and let him do Mr. Two Bits. Will always remember when we did that to FSU in 2004 with Bowden. Still, I'm tired of struggling in these games. Gotta say though, I was impressed with UMass. Mark Whipple seems to really know how to gameplan around a roster that has limited talent.

Offensive line still needs some work. Del Rio looked good at some times and like a guy starting his first game at others. No turnovers is always a plus. LOVE our running backs though. Tough, hard-nosed SOBs. Scarlett may need to get most of the carries. If Thompson can learn how to hang on to the football he can get more carries and be a solid player. But yeah, this offense is nothing without Callaway. I like Powell a lot, but he's not the playmaker Callaway is. I hope this was just a really vanilla gameplan and we were trying not to show much. If not, we could be in trouble. Lots of dink and dunk stuff, dropped balls, and bad protection. Yes, I realize there was a lot of innuendo in that last sentence. We get Lewis and hopefully Worton back next week.

Defense looked pretty good on the whole. Some stupid plays though. Lot of penalties. But the pass rush was good for the most part. We clearly missed Tabor though. They picked on his replacement for some long pass plays. Glad we'll have him back next week too. But if Anzalone can finally stay healthy, he and Davis could be scary inside.

Massey and Dawson got hurt. Heard Dawson had x-rays done. Really hope it isn't serious.

Also, how great is it to have a kicker who doesn't suck ass?

All-in-all though, just happy we didn't screw the pooch. SEC really took it on the chin this weekend. Bring on Kentucky (who just lost to Southern Miss). Going for 30.

The positives:

Anzalone came back and played great. Would be really nice if he could stay healthy this season. He's got an NFL future if he does. That hesitation on the sack was a thing of beauty.

You'd be hard pressed to find a more stacked defensive line in college football. And secondary really. The backups on those units would start on most teams, even the good ones. Lousy with talent on D.

Offensive line is vastly improved. A few unnecessary holds, but del rio had all week back there. Won't be leading fbs in sacks allowed again.

The freshman Gardner is gonna be really good. Getting playing time in a secondary that loaded is impressive, even if tabor was out.

Got a little choked up hearing spurrier speak before the game. Never should've gone to south carolina. That ones on you foley. His presence alone is a tremendous asset.

The negatives:

Was not impressed with del rio, obviously. Check down city. If you're not letting it fly against umass, the magic 8 ball predicts that's a sign of things to come. Oiy vey.

I noticed they had Jefferson at DT, where he was listed on the depth chart. What's up with that? Is this one of those the ends are so good we're gonna throw you in the middle, like they did with bullard? At 6'1" 265 I don't know if that's good use for a 5 star prospect who flashed at end last year. But it worked with bullard so I'll wait and see how he progresses there.

Davis played great but needs to control those emotions. The late hits need to stop. Those are killers against legit teams. He's lucky he didn't get a target on that play ivie got flagged. His intensity is infectious though. If he finds his groove in the passing game a first round pick is in his future.

It was, overall, a boring game. Really tired of watching boring gator games. Throw the ball deep like once a quarter and keep those safeties out of the box. Good defenses are licking their chops seeing that short, predictable passing game. You've got 5 backs you can unleash on teams late in the game as long as you keep the defense honest.

A win is a win. Hope del rio gained some much needed confidence after his journeyman career thus far and will air the ball out. Even treon could throw the ball at or behind the line of scrimmage every time. He won't get 250 yards against real defenses like that.

Back
Top Bottom