General NCAA thread

Discussion in 'College Sports Forum' started by FSU Truth, Oct 10, 2013.

1. FSU Truth

FSU Truth inside my DNA Finheaven VIP

With FSU (highest ranked team in the state) isn't "good enough" for it own thread I thought a place where we can discuss all things NCAA and the schools who fail to meat the high standards of Florida and the U.....

2. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

I am pretty excited to have all three major Florida schools ranked again. I am an FSU alum but love the rivalry and dominance of Florida's college football. UCF and USF are not horrible either although FIU has a way to go. Hopefully, FSU will crush Miami and UF but y'all will win the rest of your games. Good times again in Florida!

3. FSU Truth

I can't wait for the FSU Clemson game...that will be the game that will put FSU (potentially) in the national championship conversation...

4. Buddy

If FSU plays good defense, we should win that game but Clemson has an amazing offense so that could be tough. It could be 63-60!

5. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

FSU needs to beat Clemson so a Canes win in Tallahassee will get us back in the top 10 :up:

It's is nice to have all three schools playing well. Don't care for UF but i always root for FSU unless they are playing Miami.

6. Namor

Namor Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

Bama laughs at all three of your schools history.

7. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

*Edited for accuracy*

8. CO-Gator

CO-Gator They all float down here.

Is this what it's like to have a real QB? I had forgotten how it feels to watch a competent player take snaps for your favorite team.

9. Namor

Hell CO, I think you guys are MORE dangerous without Jeff.

10. fishfanmiami

Maybe so but I feel the tide turning so to speak :chuckle:

11. CO-Gator

CO-Gator They all float down here.

Clearly. As bad as this sounds, that play against Tennessee where he threw a pick 6 while breaking his leg could be the most important play of this season AND next season. It highlighted why Driskel should not have been starting and it opened the door for the guy who should have started all along.

I am going to put VERY little stock in sites like Rivals and GatorCountry anymore, especially after this. Rivals had Murphy as a 2* and Driskel as a 4* and all of the "insiders" and "experts" who were supposedly watching Gator practices very closely all said that Driskel was clearly the better player and that if he went down, UF was screwed. Just, :lol:

12. Buddy

Same here, only in reverse.

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

I like Bama but they have to go down when it comes to FSU. No disputing the legacy of dominance though.

13. fishfanmiami

And just for the record since 1980 Bama has 5 titles. Same as MIami.
    The Florida teams have 10 combined.

No argument the Tide has been dominate lately.This too shall pass.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2013
  14. Namor

15. Namor

Not really.....have you seen our recruiting the last few years....we can't win it every year,but we'll be in the hunt
    for the next several years.

16. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

17. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

So rumors are USC people are at odds.

There are those that believe that they can lure somebody like Nick Saban away from a pretty big job, while others want to go with guys with connections to the school like Jack Del Rio and Steve Sarkisian. The issue for USC is that Pat Haden arguably waited too long to fix the mess Mike Garrett left behind a few years ago as the entire athletic department had a huge arrogance surrounding the program.

And this is old news, but it's something that hasn't been discussed on Mack Brown at Texas. In recent time it has come out that Robert Griffin and Johnny Manziel both wanted to attend Texas but Brown told them they'd be DBs. He also told Jamis Winston the same thing and Winston grew up a Texas fan. Andrew Luck grew up in Houston and was highly interested in attending Texas, but during his visit the coaches ignored him and told him he wasn't their first or 2nd choice to take as a QB commit. Ever since Colt McCoy graduated, Texas has struggled to find a consistent QB. Many feel that Mack Brown just doesn't try as hard in recruiting as he used to and that he just hasn't adjusted to the quickly changing landscape of college football.

Some want to follow Texas Tech's lead and promote a former beloved player to head coach (in Texas's case Major Applewhite) while other boosters think they can get Saban. Again, if Saban leaves Bama I doubt it would be for Texas. I think Saban is the type of guy who would want a new challenge, but I think he'd be more likely to go out west to a non LA-Pac 12 school or to schools that aren't great right now but have great recruits in the area. I think Applewhite deserves a chance to be a head coach, but I think Texas is a much different animal than Texas Tech is for Kliff Kingsbury.

18. fishfanmiami

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2013
  19. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan It's ok to say "I don't know". Finheaven VIP Donator

Rutgers coming to town tonight. Vegas has us a 19 point favorite but our games with them are usually a lot closer than that. I think we'll get a 2 TD win.

20. Namor

Nick Saban is not leaving...Bama can match money with Texas....plus Nick has FULL controll at Bama...At Texas you have to answer to
    billionaire alum and boosters...think Nick is going to allow other people to tell him what to do with his football team?That's one of
    the main reasons Nick left Miami...
    Plus Nick want to go after Bear's 6 nat'l championships.

21. fishfanmiami

Why not ? He's set the bar so high at Bama what ever he did elsewhere would be anticlimactic.

22. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Bridgewater looks like **** tonight.

23. FSU Truth

He will be consistently exposed as he plays tougher competition...and Rutgers isn't really tough competition

24. LouPhinFan

310 yards and 2 TDs is "****"? Man tough crowd. He missed on a couple of throws but to say that is stupid.

25. LouPhinFan

You mean like Florida's defense "exposed" him in the Sugar Bowl? He missed on around 4 throws but still passed for 310 and 2 TDs. Get out of here with that nonsense.

26. FSU Truth

Louisville schedule is a Joke...he's had one good game against a ranked team...last season. If he can do it again then maybe I will give him some respect, but putting up big numbers on the like of FIU and Temple is hard to respect...especially considering the two best teams (Kentucky and Rutgers) he's played he's been average at best.

27. FSU Truth

28. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

You're right, saying he looks like **** was an overreaction to him making an incredibly awful throw and having an overall unimpressive (IMO) game.

It would be more accurate to say that he didn't look like the QB he is hyped up to be tonight, and... that's also pretty unfair.

29. LouPhinFan

You do know that there are unranked teams that play great defense too, right? Last year's Rutgers team had a handful of guys drafted off of that defense and Teddy beat them with a broken wrist and one bad wheel. I wish he was still going to be the QB when FSU comes to town next season but it looks like you guys get to play Will Gardner at QB but a team with a good chunk of our defense coming back.

30. ChambersWI

Yeah despite not being ranked, Rutgers has talent on defense and are a team that has consistently given teams fits in recent years. I thought Teddy looked fine last night. He made some nice throws, and made good adjustments.

31. LouPhinFan

Yeah so far from the scouting side, from everything I've read everyone was happy with his performance last night. It's the talking heads and causual CFB fans that weren't impressed. But that's the day and age we live in. The expectations for Bridgewater and Clowney were so high they couldn't possibly live up to them. I mean Luck, Manning, et al have slightly off games too. But Teddy can't?

People have been trying to dump on Teddy by citing the stats that Carr and Gilbert put up on Rutgers. Except they threw the ball 70 times while Teddy threw it 30. Now I do believe Shawn Watson handcuffed Teddy last night by calling so many 1st down runs, especially in the red zone. If I had a QB like Teddy I would put the ball in his hands as many times as possible in the red zone. That means throwing on 1st and 3rd down at least.

32. ChambersWI

Well Clowney is getting **** now because he decided himself that he couldn't play last week. Teddy I think is gonna get **** for games last night because Louisville is seen as having the easiest path to the championship game.

33. FSU Truth

Rutgers isn't one of them....and again they play a pretty weak schedule also.

I understand a team can only play and beat the teams on their schedule, but he hasn't looked like the world beater some are claiming he is against the few teams that are at least mediocre. He's a good QB and he will play in the NFL, but a lot of his stats and accolades are due to the fact he's paying against inferior talent.

34. LouPhinFan

Well Rutgers has played a top 25 team in Fresno State on the road and played at an improving Arkansas. So I wouldn't call that schedule "weak", more like average. Rutgers is a decent team with a good offense and good enough defense (especially against the run). We made them look silly. We had some troubles in the red zone leaving 17 points on the field but our QB still passed for 310 yards and 2 TDs. I'm sorry that Louisville didn't pass your eye test. Your Siminoles will get their shot next season. And I couldn't disagree more with your last statement. Talent is talent no matter the opponent. Scouts don't pay much attention to the opponent, only if the player has skills that translate to Sundays. Teddy's stats aren't gaudy anyway. His stats wouldn't draw any extra attention on their own. It's Teddy's pure talent at the QB position that draws the attention.

35. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

I do kind of feel bad for Louisville since they'll finish undefeated and won't even be a top 5 team. From what I know they at least tried to schedule some tough OOC games but they fell through. Likely their last season of relevance too assuming Bridgewater leaves.

36. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

37. FSU Truth

Florida State back in the Top 5....headed to play #3 Clemson...should be a good one.

38. Namor

39. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

40. Namor