Geno Smith and pocket awareness | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Geno Smith and pocket awareness

I'm not sure what I am missing with Geno Smith because I see a guy without a very high ceiling. He makes some nice throws but so did a lot of QBs that don't make it in the NFL. It surprises me that at this level he throws so much off his back foot and is often unbalanced in his delivery. His awareness is horrible, he holds the ball way to long and at times looks like he is shotputing the football downfield.

Questions surround his work ethic as well. You only need to research his interview process to see the warning flags. His handling of his decline in draft position is another indicator of his over valuing his ability. He's an upgrade to Sanchez but is more likely to waste 2-3 years of the Jets time.

Could he develop into a decent QB? Sure. But in my opinion your looking at a guy that is no better then Terrele Pryor and has a limited ceiling.

I'm not sure what I am missing with Geno Smith because I see a guy without a very high ceiling. He makes some nice throws but so did a lot of QBs that don't make it in the NFL. It surprises me that at this level he throws so much off his back foot and is often unbalanced in his delivery. His awareness is horrible, he holds the ball way to long and at times looks like he is shotputing the football downfield.

Questions surround his work ethic as well. You only need to research his interview process to see the warning flags. His handling of his decline in draft position is another indicator of his over valuing his ability. He's an upgrade to Sanchez but is more likely to waste 2-3 years of the Jets time.

Could he develop into a decent QB? Sure. But in my opinion your looking at a guy that is no better then Terrele Pryor and has a limited ceiling.

Pretty much. To be honest, I kinda think Geno's ceiling is lower than Mark Sanchez's. When Sanchez is hot, he is pretty good.

With Geno, what I see is a guy with very questionable decision making and a lot of bad throws who isn't really a dynamic player at all. It's funny that you point out Pryor because I agree, he's a far more intriguing QB, and I was thinking that tonight watching the game.

My big question with Geno is, what exactly does he bring to the table? He can make some nice throws? Just about every NFL QB, including Blaine ****ing Gabbert, can make some nice throws.

according to what Jests fan are used to at the QB position, Geno is marvelous

This coming from a Dolfan? Seriously?

Since the Jay Fiedler years, you guys have had AJ Feeley, Gus Frerotte, Sage Rosenfel, Joey Harrington, Cleo Lemon, Daunte Culpepper, Pat White, John Beck, Chad Pennington, Chad Henne, Matt Moore, and finally RT. That is a pretty pathetic portfolio with maybe a couple of decent guys, namely the Jets trash.

Pretty much. To be honest, I kinda think Geno's ceiling is lower than Mark Sanchez's. When Sanchez is hot, he is pretty good.

With Geno, what I see is a guy with very questionable decision making and a lot of bad throws who isn't really a dynamic player at all. It's funny that you point out Pryor because I agree, he's a far more intriguing QB, and I was thinking that tonight watching the game.

My big question with Geno is, what exactly does he bring to the table? He can make some nice throws? Just about every NFL QB, including Blaine ****ing Gabbert, can make some nice throws.
I view him as an upgrade only because Sanchez has lost his confidence in himself and that is not an issue with Smith. Sanchez has shown that he is capable of functioning as a game manager. Once the confidence was gone the foolish turnovers increased ten fold. Sanchez was ata point where he was far more damaging then beneficial to the Jets. Geno hasn't had that much time to prove whether or not the same holds true for him.

Since the Jay Fiedler years, you guys have had AJ Feeley, Gus Frerotte, Sage Rosenfel, Joey Harrington, Cleo Lemon, Daunte Culpepper, Pat White, John Beck, Chad Pennington, Chad Henne, Matt Moore, and finally RT. That is a pretty pathetic portfolio with maybe a couple of decent guys, namely the Jets trash.
And what exactly have the Jets had? Pennington was nice but he never went deep in the playoffs. Sanchez was a game manager that has eroded over the last 2 seasons. You had a healthy Favre for 9 games but couldn't make the playoffs with him. Amazing you'd call out that post when neither team has had much to brag about this century.

I believe you missed a few...our QB situation has been bottom of the barrel. Right now RT17 is restoring hope. I dont get the same feeling watching Geno as I did with RT last year.

Agreed.

Fact that he is better then Sanchez is huge. Even if Geno is the 21st or 22nd best QB in the league our team will be better by a large margin. We've had one of the bottom 3 QB's in the league for a long time. Geno just being decent makes us a lot better as a team. Biggest thing is he needs to stop turning the ball over.

Bottom 3 QB? How can you say that when Junctions feels the complete opposite?

Generally decent rookie showing by Geno... and quantum leaps above the shell that's best known for propelling his head into his beloved lineman's butt.

However, before anyone gets too carried away, as a poster on BuffaloRange pointed out, due to existing and game injuries, much of the defensive backfield defending against him were 2nd stringers -with no Byrd, McKelvin (out early 1st half) , Gilmore, or Brooks (FWIW the explosive Spiller left early in the 2nd half also). So it's probably prudent for objective yet hopeful jestfans to temper their enthusiasm with the reality that Geno was throwing against mostly replacements in the defensive backfield.

Also in perspective: beyond that, realistically how many decent opponents are gonna come out on the short end when playing teams that commit 20 penalties/168yards?

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally decent rookie showing by Geno... and quantum leaps above the shell that's best known for propelling his head into his beloved lineman's butt.

However, before anyone gets too carried away, as a poster on BuffaloRange pointed out, due to existing and game injuries, he was much of the defensive backfield defending against him were 2nd stringers -with no Byrd, McKelvin (out early 1st half) , Gilmore, or Brooks (FWIW the explosive Spiller left early in the 2nd half also). So it's probably prudent for objective yet hopeful jestfans to temper their enthusiasm with the reality that Geno was throwing against mostly replacements in the defensive backfield.

Also in perspective: beyond that, realistically how many decent opponents are gonna come out on the short end when playing teams that commit 20 penalties/168yards?
I'm sure you realize that with the big win over the Bills, TGG believes they are in position to make a playoff run. :lol:

However, before anyone gets too carried away, as a poster on BuffaloRange pointed out, due to existing and game injuries, much of the defensive backfield defending against him were 2nd stringers -with no Byrd, McKelvin (out early 1st half) , Gilmore, or Brooks (FWIW the explosive Spiller left early in the 2nd half also). So it's probably prudent for objective yet hopeful jestfans to temper their enthusiasm with the reality that Geno was throwing against mostly replacements in the defensive backfield.

I will be watching the Buffalo game this week.

All I can say is, watch the games. Geno got one touchdown early vs the Bucs on a totally blown coverage where there was nobody within twenty yards of his receiver, and otherwise looked like crap. Sure it's his first start, but he still looked like crap.

The big thing with Geno is, I really just don't think he has a particularly good arm. That would be my biggest concern with him -- he can get better at reading defenses and I'm sure that with experience he will get better at feeling the pocket -- but he isn't going to throw anyone open. In that Patriots game, he had some throws where he made the right read and still got picked because he served up a duck. I can't believe I still see comments on Gang Green like "he has a live arm." Mark Sanchez has a much better arm than Geno Smith, IMO.

we all cannto be as lucky as the great Miami franchise, obviously Geno sucks. Ryan tannehill is the greatest and we envy you b/c of all the SBs you will win b/c of him. Enjoy the next decade of domination while we draft a new QB every year or 2.

we all cannto be as lucky as the great Miami franchise, obviously Geno sucks. Ryan tannehill is the greatest and we envy you b/c of all the SBs you will win b/c of him. Enjoy the next decade of domination while we draft a new QB every year or 2.

Your pretty much dead on about your envy...thats why you post here so much.

The Walrus, in the LOL@jest epic thread on draft day (subtitled: "Homer Not Now Fooling Anyone")

Post 1320
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/sho...-Jets&p=1064682302&viewfull=1-post1064682302:[/COLOR]
Junc didn't come back to this thread to make fun of the Jets as promised, so I went and found his posts on TGG instead.

This is before the 2nd round started:

I hope it is one of those things where 2-3 years down the road we look back thankful we were wrong and Idzik was right but I will be livid if we move up to take a QB.
Then, after the pick is made:

PLEASE bring back Mike Tannenbaum.

The only good news is at least we didn't waste picks to move up to get him.

We have a QB, he just needs weapons and now we will waste rebuilding years w/ a project QB w/ no weapons.
my guess is the restructure of Brick was to allow them to absorb Mark's cap hit when they release him. Good luck Mark, you will win somewhere else and we'll suck for years to come- and we deserve it
Instead of surrounding the QB w/ weapons we draft D, D AGAIN then take a project QB. This makes that Pitt title game loss even harder b/c I don't think we'll get that close to a SB in the next decade
we won when we surrounded him w/ talent, Geno couldn't win w/ immense talent in a weak conf in college
This next post in a thread called "Fire Idzik":

so far he got fleeced in the Revis deal, took two more defensive players and a project QB w/ 3 premium picks. So far I HATE him but I hope to be proven wrong.
we are tying our future to this guy, if he doesn't pans out he's a bust. Kellen Clemsn was bust as a 2nd rd picks. we will also be getting rid of a proven winner at QB. Geno has immense pressure to succeed.
Hopefully they give Mark a chance to win his job back like Brees in '04 after they took Rivers.
I'm with him on this. The Jets with Sanchez at QB are my favorite comedy show. I don't want to see it get canceled.

he had opportunities to trade back. 3 straight years w/ DL in 1st rd, 5 staright 1st rd picks on D and we wonder why the O sucks.
teams have been trading back like crazy, he had chances.

I hope he's right, I KNOW I am right on Sanchez and he will succeed somewhere. We should have been getting him weapons instead of competition. If he failed this year we go QB in a stronger QB draft next year but instead we take a QB just to take one

Then someone named Hobbes3259 posts "If the release Sanchez, and play Smith, theyll pick Johnny Football or Manziel next year."

Junc responds...

and then I will officially stop following this team.

Congratulations. You just read the post of the year.

It's so sad that an adult not only follows me on other boards but saves my posts(then again, this stalker has 10+ pages of images dedicated to me so what would we expect?). Nowhere have I bashed Smith and nowhere have I praised him. What the stalker who fails at reading comprehension fails to realize is that what he posted today has nothing to do w/ anything but in his little simple minded world b/c I was upset on draft day means I think geno sucks. I really feel bad for certain people on this board and I wonder how they survive in the real world?

the Walrus is obsessed with you? hmmmm. All I know if that on my home board, there's plenty of ammo that you don't respect Geno Smith, thought it was a poor choice,, not because of other offensive needs and your love of Buttchez, but because he's in your opinion a loooooooonnnnnng term project, who essentially couldn't differentiate himself even with superior talent around him.

You have 25thosuand posts here; I've been calling you out since i joined this board in '97 so you invite my chops which i 've said many times provides a workday downtime filler while I wait for things to happen. So yes, you've been at times so transparently ridiculously homeristic and passive aggressive in your jealousy of the Fins, that 10 pages of chops while I work 5 days a week over 6.5 years really isn't all that much now is it? So much for that spin, LOLOL
. You're kind of my muse.. you should be flattered :idk:

Back
Top Bottom