Geno Smith - set to IMPLODE! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Geno Smith - set to IMPLODE!

Did you read the yahoo article the OP posted? I realize being negative is part of your scthick on this forum but you should try reading the thoughts of the front office and talent evaluators.. That's not to say smith can't/won't have a good career. But would you agree he is in a difficult situation given all of the speculation about him.

Some of the gripes are legitimate like if he was talking on cell phone but some gripes were totally unsubstantiated . Case in point this quote.
“He doesn’t have much presence, not much of a leader.

Also the critique from PFT's resident smile expert
A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.

His former qb coach and former player have both praised his work habits and focus. Not sure how a guy that writes for a magazine would know so much about his work habits

Now another so called paper scout Schein said this in response:Smith has all of the tangibles -- and intangibles -- you look for in an NFL quarterback. He can make every throw. His arm strength is legit. He's also a football junkie, and winning is important to him. He takes the game and the preparation involved very seriously. He's smart. Teams crave quarterbacks with these traits, because teams crumble when they draft frauds.

His high school coach also spoke in his behalf
I thought all that talk was almost hilarious, a comedy show,” Cogdell said. “This kid is the first one into workouts and the last one to leave. Even from his Optimist days. Geno even started a couple games as a freshman. How much more competitive do you need? I don’t know if Nawrocki is trying to get some notoriety. I couldn’t believe the comments.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/04/3321885/cogdell-defends-former-miramar.html#storylink=cpy

he also said
That report was very cowardly,” Cogdell said. “I don’t think that was the right way to do things. There were a lot of guys he should have spoken to to find out about Geno’s leadership and character.

“I don’t know what Nawrocki’s intentions were. It’s kind of sad a person would even do that. I saw nothing but Geno striving for perfection. He is a student of the game and very critical of himself.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/04/3321885/cogdell-defends-former-miramar.html#storylink=cpy

coach and former teammate
Former West Virginia quarterbacks coach Jake Spavital, now Johnny Manziel's Texas A&M quarterbacks coach and co-offensive coordinator, says Smith is an obsessed student of the game.

"I was laughing with Geno about it Monday night and I said, 'Welcome to the business,''' Spavital told USA TODAY Sports.

"I've been around Geno for two years. I thought he was one of the hardest-working quarterbacks I've ever been around.

"You have people who are about 'What can football do for me?' Geno is about 'What I can do for football?' If you take the game away from him, I think he dies,'' Spavital added.

"He is a dream come true for a coach.''

Spavital should know. He previously coached Cleveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden at Oklahoma State and said Smith has the better work ethic and franchise quarterback skill set than last April's 22nd overall draft pick.

"Geno can step in and start in the NFL from day one,'' Spavital said. "And I didn't think that about Brandon Weeden. I thought he was a very good quarterback. But I thought it might take him two years before he started. But Geno can come in right now and start right away.''

Why is that?

"His personality is awesome,'' Spavital said. "He has a side of him when it comes to football I've never seen before — he's so competitive and passionate.''

Here's how uninspiring Smith is to teammates: Former Mountaineers receiver Stedman Bailey, who played with Smith since their junior year together at Miramar High in suburban Miami, will attend the first round of the draft in New York City to be at his quarterback's side when a team is expected to call Smith's name early the night of April 25.

Bailey is so appreciative of how hard Smith pushed him the past six years that he'll accompany Smith — despite the fact that Bailey isn't expected to hear his own name called until at least the second round on the following night.

"I know first hand that Geno is one of the hardest working guys having watched how far he's come over our years together," Bailey said. "He's a leader, a hard-working guy, a film junkie. He has all the qualities you'd want in a franchise quarterback. Any one looking for that, Geno is your man.''

more comments from his former QB coach
West Virginia QB Geno Smith's former position coach, Jake Spavital, called the Mountaineer a "film junkie."
"I got him an iPad (to watch tape) so he’d go to class," said Spavital. "I think it’s a no-brainer to take the first quarterback overall. I've been around some pretty good ones and I've never seen a guy that’s this complete as a quarterback. And he’s hungry." Spavital has coached Brandon Weeden, Case Keenum, and is currently on the Texas A&M staff. "He studies it," Spavital said. "With Brandon Weeden, I couldn't say that about him."

Not saying that some of the stuff is not true about how he handled interviews but his leadership has been questioned only by people he has never been on a team with and u hear great praise about his leadership and work habits from people that have actually worked with him

Some of the gripes are legitimate like if he was talking on cell phone but some gripes were totally unsubstantiated . Case in point this quote.

A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.

His former qb coach and former player have both praised his work habits and focus. Not sure how a guy that writes for a magazine would know so much about his work habits

Now another so called paper scout Schein said this in response:Smith has all of the tangibles -- and intangibles -- you look for in an NFL quarterback. He can make every throw. His arm strength is legit. He's also a football junkie, and winning is important to him. He takes the game and the preparation involved very seriously. He's smart. Teams crave quarterbacks with these traits, because teams crumble when they draft frauds.

His high school coach also spoke in his behalf
I thought all that talk was almost hilarious, a comedy show,” Cogdell said. “This kid is the first one into workouts and the last one to leave. Even from his Optimist days. Geno even started a couple games as a freshman. How much more competitive do you need? I don’t know if Nawrocki is trying to get some notoriety. I couldn’t believe the comments.

he also said
That report was very cowardly,” Cogdell said. “I don’t think that was the right way to do things. There were a lot of guys he should have spoken to to find out about Geno’s leadership and character.

“I don’t know what Nawrocki’s intentions were. It’s kind of sad a person would even do that. I saw nothing but Geno striving for perfection. He is a student of the game and very critical of himself.”

coach and former teammate
Former West Virginia quarterbacks coach Jake Spavital, now Johnny Manziel's Texas A&M quarterbacks coach and co-offensive coordinator, says Smith is an obsessed student of the game.

"I was laughing with Geno about it Monday night and I said, 'Welcome to the business,''' Spavital told USA TODAY Sports.

"I've been around Geno for two years. I thought he was one of the hardest-working quarterbacks I've ever been around.

"You have people who are about 'What can football do for me?' Geno is about 'What I can do for football?' If you take the game away from him, I think he dies,'' Spavital added.

"He is a dream come true for a coach.''

Spavital should know. He previously coached Cleveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden at Oklahoma State and said Smith has the better work ethic and franchise quarterback skill set than last April's 22nd overall draft pick.

"Geno can step in and start in the NFL from day one,'' Spavital said. "And I didn't think that about Brandon Weeden. I thought he was a very good quarterback. But I thought it might take him two years before he started. But Geno can come in right now and start right away.''

Why is that?

"His personality is awesome,'' Spavital said. "He has a side of him when it comes to football I've never seen before — he's so competitive and passionate.''

Here's how uninspiring Smith is to teammates: Former Mountaineers receiver Stedman Bailey, who played with Smith since their junior year together at Miramar High in suburban Miami, will attend the first round of the draft in New York City to be at his quarterback's side when a team is expected to call Smith's name early the night of April 25.

Bailey is so appreciative of how hard Smith pushed him the past six years that he'll accompany Smith — despite the fact that Bailey isn't expected to hear his own name called until at least the second round on the following night.

"I know first hand that Geno is one of the hardest working guys having watched how far he's come over our years together," Bailey said. "He's a leader, a hard-working guy, a film junkie. He has all the qualities you'd want in a franchise quarterback. Any one looking for that, Geno is your man.''

more comments from his former QB coach
West Virginia QB Geno Smith's former position coach, Jake Spavital, called the Mountaineer a "film junkie."
"I got him an iPad (to watch tape) so he’d go to class," said Spavital. "I think it’s a no-brainer to take the first quarterback overall. I've been around some pretty good ones and I've never seen a guy that’s this complete as a quarterback. And he’s hungry." Spavital has coached Brandon Weeden, Case Keenum, and is currently on the Texas A&M staff. "He studies it," Spavital said. "With Brandon Weeden, I couldn't say that about him."

Not saying that some of the stuff is not true about how he handled interviews but his leadership has been questioned only by people he has never been on a team with and u hear great praise about his leadership and work habits from people that have actually worked with him

I don't take much of what his coaches and friends say seriously. If I asked your friends and colleagues about you (especially if millions of dollars were on the line), I'm sure they would speak highly, regardless of the truth.

I'm wondering how a guy on a message board who probably hasn't even met Smith knows those claims are unsubstantiated.

I'm wondering how a guy on a message board who probably hasn't even met Smith knows those claims are unsubstantiated.

because they came from people that never actually had Smith as a player. Two former coaches have spoken glowingly of him and his workl habits. Im sure they know more than a guy who is an expert in fake smiles .

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

I don't take much of what his coaches and friends say seriously. If I asked your friends and colleagues about you (especially if millions of dollars were on the line), I'm sure they would speak highly, regardless of the truth.

To a degree but he is also former coach of Brandon Weeden so why would he say he is better prepared for NFL than Weeden. We are talking about a guys work habits something that most of those people wouldnt know alot about in reality. Havent heard one coach of his come out and say he had bad work habits or was benched for a mysterious reason

I hope marky mark and the funky bunch starts. It will be funny seeing him throw interceptions left and right, assuming and hoping revis will play opening game. Man Revis has made great qbs not look so good and picks off the best. Considering that, I'm just thinking how bad revis is gonna own sanchez, considering sanchez is not that good of a qb, revis has made great ones look not so bad and on top of that revis practiced plenty of times against sanchez and knows all of sanchez's flaws which are plenty and his tendencies which he'll probably read well. And get some pick 6s on snatchez.

I hope marky mark and the funky bunch starts. It will be funny seeing him throw interceptions left and right, assuming and hoping revis will play opening game. Man Revis has made great qbs not look so good and picks off the best. Considering that, I'm just thinking how bad revis is gonna own sanchez, considering sanchez is not that good of a qb, revis has made great ones look not so bad and on top of that revis practiced plenty of times against sanchez and knows all of sanchez's flaws which are plenty and his tendencies which he'll probably read well. And get some pick 6s on snatchez.

I definately prefer Sanchez starting Smith has some talent. Doesnt mean he will be a franchise qb, hell the jury is still out on Tannehill.
hell wish they had kept Tebow

because they came from people that never actually had Smith as a player. Two former coaches have spoken glowingly of him and his workl habits. Im sure they know more than a guy who is an expert in fake smiles .

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

To a degree but he is also former coach of Brandon Weeden so why would he say he is better prepared for NFL than Weeden. We are talking about a guys work habits something that most of those people wouldnt know alot about in reality. Havent heard one coach of his come out and say he had bad work habits or was benched for a mysterious reason

Not really a big fan of weeken either. When you show up to an nfl meeting and spend the whole day ignoring the coaches, there is something wrong. There were specific character issues in the article that suggest he may be a little immature to handle the pressures of the nfl, especially in New York. Look at the qb's drafted last year. RGIII, luck and Wilson all three are high character. Jamarcus Russell had great skills, he was just dumb as ****. There is a pattern.

Not really a big fan of weeken either. When you show up to an nfl meeting and spend the whole day ignoring the coaches, there is something wrong. There were specific character issues in the article that suggest he may be a little immature to handle the pressures of the nfl, especially in New York. Look at the qb's drafted last year. RGIII, luck and Wilson all three are high character. Jamarcus Russell had great skills, he was just dumb as ****. There is a pattern.

I think he may not have taken the draft process serious enough but he has never been in trouble and all glowing reports from people that have coached and played with him. What pattern are u referring to?
The guy may have some maturity issues but he has not one character issue. Now if instead of studying film he is partying all night or breaking down peoples door to punch the wrong guy then maybe we can talk about lack of character. Im almost tired of debating on the guy he is a solid prospect no matter what we wish in dolphin land. The kid completed 70 percent of his passes and can make every throw.
Just more of the media trying to pile on somebody over something that affected his draft but he has a team and maybe it was from a team that did not interest him, obviously he didnt do it with the Jets.
Who friggin cares , gotta love those unnamed sources.

I really enjoyed watching Pennington go back home and stick it to the Jets. Clinching the division and watching the Jets miss the playoffs was icing on top. The joy didn't last very long but at least we have something to show for it. Unlike you, I don't continually bring up the past over and over and over and over again. Your team lost. They didn't accomplish jack. Get over it!! It was a short 2 year run that resulted in nothing and now you guys are paying the price. I really hope you enjoyed those 2 years that resulted in nothing. I've enjoyed the last 2 years and look forward to enjoying several more.

Chad is one of my all time favorites, I didn't like the way he was treated upon his exit. I was happier to see him win than if we won NE would have won the division again and we still would have missed the playoffs.

you have nothing to show for it but a humiliating WC loss at home, we played for the right to represent the AFC in the SB TWICE.

You have enjoyed being under .500 the last 2 years?

Stick to the topic, you are just mad because:

A) your boyfriend is getting benched for smith
B) the circus continues in ny

a) I am annoyed for mark
b) the circus stuff is overblown. we were at the peak of our circus in 2010.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

The Jets are their own worst enemy.As long as Rex is 'runnin the show.....there'll be arguing,finger pointing,and dissension from within.And that just warms my heart,with a giant grin!!! It simply shows just what a train wreck that organization is. "ALL BARK......NO BITE"!!!

w/ rex running the show we have 4 playoff wins and 2 title game apps. The Miami franchise has 3 playoff wins 1995-2012 and hasn't seen a title game app since 1992.

Typical Jets media attention grab.

Sanchez is going to start for them. They know Geno is not NFL ready year #1.
So why did they waste a pick on a sub-par quarterback class when they could of just waited until next year while using the 2013 pick on another position to help build their pathetic team back up?

Because they're the Jets.

the 2000 class was considered subpar and sometime got the best QB of this generation in rd 6. Sometimes the "experts" are wrong.

Chad is one of my all time favorites, I didn't like the way he was treated upon his exit. I was happier to see him win than if we won NE would have won the division again and we still would have missed the playoffs.

you have nothing to show for it but a humiliating WC loss at home, we played for the right to represent the AFC in the SB TWICE.

You have enjoyed being under .500 the last 2 years?

We got a division title. It doesn't mean a whole lot but it is better than nothing. I enjoyed getting a competent head coach and what looks like our best QB since Marino. I enjoyed watching the Jets take our place as the laughing stock of the NFL the last 2 years. I hope those 2 losses in the AFC Championship games were worth it for you. You already lost the majority of the players from those teams the General Manager and the coach and Quarterback will soon follow. But you will always have those 2 AFC Championship game LOSSES you can look back on.

We got a division title. It doesn't mean a whole lot but it is better than nothing. I enjoyed getting a competent head coach and what looks like our best QB since Marino. I enjoyed watching the Jets take our place as the laughing stock of the NFL the last 2 years. I hope those 2 losses in the AFC Championship games were worth it for you. You already lost the majority of the players from those teams the General Manager and the coach and Quarterback will soon follow. But you will always have those 2 AFC Championship game LOSSES you can look back on.

that div title still means far less than 4 playoff wins and 2 title game apps.

every QB in the last 5 years I have heard it is your best since marino, let's allow him to prove something first.

we have 14 wins the last 2 years, you guys have 13. What does that say about a team that has less wins than a "laughingstock"?

that div title still means far less than 4 playoff wins and 2 title game apps.

every QB in the last 5 years I have heard it is your best since marino, let's allow him to prove something first.

we have 14 wins the last 2 years, you guys have 13. What does that say about a team that has less wins than a "laughingstock"?

It means less to you. Ultimately they both are meaningless. I didn't say he was the best QB since Marino, I said looks like the best QB since Marino.

It tells me one team got a new head coach, and a new QB and won 7 games and put themselves in great shape moving forward. The other had to trade away their best player, cut a bunch of players and will be looking for a new QB and head coach soon.

It means less to you. Ultimately they both are meaningless. I didn't say he was the best QB since Marino, I said looks like the best QB since Marino.

It tells me one team got a new head coach, and a new QB and won 7 games and put themselves in great shape moving forward. The other had to trade away their best player, cut a bunch of players and will be looking for a new QB and head coach soon.

The last time we got a new HC and new QB we made the AFC Championship Game- that's better, right?

you guys haven't even been in a playoff race yet, you "won" free agency. so did Buffalo last year- ask them how that turned out. Let's see where you are at I December/January.

Back
Top Bottom