Geno Smith - You did it to yourself | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Geno Smith - You did it to yourself

I think some guys believe a lot of the hype and surround themselves with hanger-ons (posses) and family members who tell them they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and they believe it. Then when they go on visits to other teams, they feel they are special and entitled. You can tell the hard workers from the slackers. Why do you think Jerry Jones is getting on Tony Romo, and telling him he needs to "spend more time at the office," instead of playing golf. I think this is what separates guys like Manning from most other QB's...he works at it and is a true professional.

Sounds like he treated his trips to team facilities like college recruiting visits instead of like professional job interviews (which they really were) like he should have. Far from impossible for him to learn from his intransigence. Firing his agents instead of looking in the mirror isn't a step in the right direction though.

if it's a matter of him just listening to the wrong people, he can get around it. Problem is, that could take a LONG time. Some guys can separate themselves fairly quickly from bad influences, others can't.

Now if this is just him being a ********... well that's gonna be another issue entirely

In five years he could be the next Aaron Rodgers and we'll all look back and say it was silly to doubt him based on something like this. But for now, it's fun to trash on the Jets' new quarterback.

I think the Gruden Quarterback Camp videos are an invaluable resource, and often a tip toward whether a player will be drafted higher or lower than expected. Not necessarily how well he'll play, but when he'll be picked. I can't remember being fooled more than a couple of times. I guarantee the franchises are fixated on those programs.

Gruden identified that Geno Smith was emotional. That was one of his themes, and he only uses a handful in each episode. As soon as I saw that, I doubted he would be picked anywhere close to the high end projections. Not a valued trait in a quarterback. It certainly aligns with the article linked here, and everything Smith has done since the first day of the draft.

Smith wasn't bad on the show. Not aloof or arrogant. He paid attention and was decent on the chalkboard. But I can't remember another quarterback who Gruden labeled as emotional. Smith didn't try to dispute it.

E.J. Manuel dominated the chalkboard and overall was far more impressive than I expected. I knew he'd go earlier than estimated. I like to tape all the programs and watch them back to back, as opposed to spread out.

Mike Glennon was the second standout on Gruden this year. He makes some awful throws. He reminds me of a Kerry Collins type, awkward stationary type capable of wild sways in performance from game to game, or within the same game. Glennon has more touch than Collins but probably not as tough. I think he's an interesting prospect because at times he really stands out and takes over a game, which can't be said about most of these guys. Glennon sounded like a mature pro quarterback alongside Gruden, and he extended the session by asking Gruden what he needs to work on toward the NFL. Something like that will earn points.

Tyler Bray should have declined. That was sad to watch. Other guys simply didn't have much energy, like Landry Jones, Tyler Wilson, and Ryan Nassib. Even Barkley was less animated than I expected. He seemed to think it was amusing.

My favorite segment this year was Gruden mocking all the weaknesses of empty sets in the Zac Dysert program.

I figured him to be a big time bust in the NFL. So far, he's doing little to make me doubt myself. His lack of maturity, poor attitude, finger pointing, etc. shows his lack of character: all important traits a future starting QB must possess. To me, he's another Vince Young, but with less talent.

Back
Top Bottom