Geno Smith | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Geno Smith

rob19

Soul Rebel
Reaction score
[video=youtube;OhGkRA4b32Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhGkRA4b32Q&feature=g-all-u[/video]
@AlbertBreer: Just texted w/an exec, told me he think Geno Smith "has a chance" to be the 1st pick in April, noted it's also bc of his strong junior year.

Obviously had a big game today, & I'm hearing a lot of Heisman hype for the kid from the pundits, but if I remember correctly we have a few West Virginia posters who are convinced he's overrated. What's everyone's thoughts on Geno Smith? Is he a legit top 10 pick or is he overhyped?

Smith could have an RGIII type season and there's no Andrew Luck to challenge him. I'm not ready to say he's going to win the heisman, but his chances are as good or better than most.

I think he is going to have a better NFL career at QB than the last quarterback we took out of WVU...Pat White. He has really nice size, mobility, throws the ball with velocity and touch. I know many people will probably say he is just a system QB, but the more you watch Geno Smith, the more you have to like him. I like Tavon Austin and Bailey in WVU's offense, so they are very explosive. But I am not sure I would spend a #1 overall pick on him? I think WVU has Texas, OKlahoma, and TCU on their schedule...if he can beat those defenses, than I think he moves up to probably the top pick at QB ahead of Barkley. I think he is the frontrunner for this year's Heisman after what he did today.

Geno is pretty good but he's got an elongated delivery. It's like he throws from the hip.

I would rather have Steadman Bailey. This kid looks better and better each week...He is going to end up moving himself into a first round type WR by the end of this

When you've got the best play caller in college football calling the offense, and you have two receivers of the quality you see in Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin, you're going to look pretty good. But Smith is doing well in his own right. Not always making the right read but he has a way of circling back to it by showing some great presence in the pocket. Took a little bit for the light to really go on for him, I didn't think he looked last year at all like a guy that could be getting the kind of draft standing he looks to be on his way to getting this year.

Not ruling anything out but I'm not licking his ass yet, either. We'll see. I think E.J. Manuel is a little underrated.

And Stedman Bailey is a stud. You can probably get him on the 2nd day because when push comes to shove the odds aren't strong on a 5'10" guy with maybe 190 lbs on his frame soaking wet. But he's got the wing span of a 6'2" or 6'3" guy, and he's got big hands. He's totally comfortable with physicality in coverage, has great running skills and balance, plays the ball in the air very well, and he's got that little bit of magic with the ball in his hands after the catch. Tavon Austin is good but I'll take the guy that shows he can play on the outside, that way if he can't play that in the pros I can always move him inside and still get something out of him. With Austin you're never going to move him outside and if he can't play the inside in the pros the way he does in college, he's toast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geno Smith has already shown he could play well against some pretty good defenses last year, including an elite defense in LSU. It helps to have a receiver like Stedman Bailey out there, but make no mistake... Geno Smith is making the reads and throws that you want to see with touch and accuracy.

The eye popping stats are just for show and it's difficult for the typical fan to get past it. Stats are causational.

It wouldn't matter if he was putting up 200 yards and 2 TD's a game, the kid is an absolute maverick in the pocket and in the face of pressure. He's operating Holgorsen's offense at a level exceeding Weeden because Geno is much less prone to turnovers than Weeden. He also doesn't have the tendency to throw high over the middle and leave his WR's out to dry like Weeden.

He throws with a level of anticipation that you don't see in many college quarterbacks. A lot of teams are going to like the intangibles that Geno Smith brings and for good reason.

E.J. Manuel is the very definition of the word "project", and I think he's a coachable kid. However, I don't think he's underrated.

I can watch any college football game at random and see a quarterback with better throwing mechanics. He's ok in college because he's big and athletic, with a lot of talent around him. He's a good all around athlete and a good leader.

His throwing mechanics aren't efficient, and difficult to watch sometimes. He doesn't get any trunk rotation involved in his throws and it's more of a push, similar to Kyle Boller when he came out of Cal. The coaches rarely let him throw in the middle of the field. Most of his passes are to stationary receivers and he doesn't demonstrate throwing with timing and anticipation consistently.

Lofts a lot of passes and doesn't look comfortable throwing into tight coverage because he gets no torque from his core and the ball comes out with no zip. He's not comfortable with seam throws, deep outs, or crossing patterns because he doesn't have the consistent trio of timing/accuracy/velocity to hit moving targets in stride.

I think Manuel is more of a pet project for a coach who's looking to develope a good athlete with an intriguing combination of size, athletic ability, and leadership qualities.

Good analysis by everyone and I agree with the points raised

As opposed to last yr Smith has pretty much mastered Holgorsen spread system. As pointed out he`s accurate, intelligent,
makes all the throws, has a command presence in the pocket and not withstanding the fact he has a corps of exellent receivers.
It also should be pointed that while WV offense is probably top 5 rest of team make-up is below average which as we saw results
in shootouts in which Smith is under added pressure to score with each possession.

I would categorize GS as a system player but I believe he could adapt at the next level. This leads me to a question I have that mybe
someone can answer. Smith rarely goes under center, not at all this season, mybe a few times last yr. Is this any way a negative as far
as the nfl is concerned?

It's always a concern but to varying degrees. It depends on the player. The NFL drafts QB's that haven't taken snaps under center left and right.... because if they want to draft a quarterback, they don't have a helluva lot of choice. Most of these offenses in college are operating out of the shotgun.

These quarterbacks will hire private QB coaches to work with 'em on taking snaps from under center and have several months to work on it before they're required to put it on display in the Senior Bowl, and/or various All-Star Game settings where scouts will note their progress.

Some will struggle with the adjustment and some won't. Some will take time to simply gather the snap because they don't even know the right way to set their hands to receive an under center snap. For most of 'em it'll be the timing that they struggle with from under center... making accurate drops to a specific landmark when the football has to be out when the back foot hits.... meanwhile going through progressions. It'll take 'em reps upon reps to ingrain the idea that they have to create as much depth as possible as quickly as possible between themselves and the line of scrimmage during their drop from under center.

Geno will likely take to it like a fish in water because his footwork in the pocket is advanced and superb as we speak. He's never off balance and never gets overstrided.... that's the key to his consistency and accuracy. His footwork in the pocket is so outstanding that even when he's moved off his landmark, everything stays in sync and tied in to his eyes.

There's no question that I'd be interested in Geno as the 1st quarterback off the board if I'm in the market for one.

I remember how hard we recruited Geno to Alabama but couldn't close him out.

This was a great article on him that touches a little bit on what type of kid he is, and the type of person that whatever team that drafts him is getting. It's what you're looking for in terms of making that investment in a young man that you plan on placing the burden of being the guy to lead your team, and be the face of your organization.

He'll have no trouble absorbing how to take a snap from under center. I'd venture to guess he already knows despite not being asked to do it for Holgorsen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/29/s...st-virginia.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&ref=sports

Someone will draft him. He will blow in the league.

Love some of your guys analysis,

He throws the deepball with possibly the best accuracy I have ever witnessed. Always looks to pass first and is way faster than people think when he takes off. The nfl I turnin into a spread offense league and I think there will be a place somewhere for him to have success,
m
i really think he would thrive in Kansas City with all of the weapons they have on offense.

One thing people have eluded to is how Nasty our Oline has been playing. Just straight up mauling d linemen. Also I'd like to see quicker reads from geno, but he's got so much time he has the luxury of waiting for people to get wide open

If Miami gets a pass rusher or corner in round one, I'd love to get Bailey in round 2.

Back
Top Bottom